Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-11-2007, 08:45 PM   #1
angryassdrummer
Starter Motor

Default Which Car to Get?

hey guys

im looking to buy my first decent car in the next month. I was looking at a station wagon cause i need to transport drums and my dog but am starting to sway towards a ute.

Most people i have asked try to sway me towards Holden, but my current car (2001 ford falcon au) has been great...no problems at all so feel like sticking with ford.

My questions are (im not too clued up on car knowledge so i apologise if the answers are obvious)

Is the XR6 turbo worth the extra $$$$ over the standard XR6? and what are the benefits?

Ill need a cabin for the back to make sure my drums/dog are safe... is that something i can get through ford when purchasing or something i get aftersale? If so where would i go? (brisbane)

What optional extras are worth getting at time of purchase through Ford and what ones am i better off getting through an independent seller?

thanks for your help guys
Az

angryassdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2007, 09:03 PM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Really the only advantage of buying a Turbo is the extra power, that depends if you want the power then its worth it or what future plans you have for the ute. Canopies arent to hard to find and are fairly secure. If you are buying second hand getting options is like a bonus but if you can find a 'more' optioned ute buy it. If you are buying new a run out model like the 'XR by Craig Lowndes' woold be a good bet if they still have them if not id buy whatever ute suits u (Turbo or not) and options what you like. Personally if you can stretch id go the turbo, remembering insurance costs etc (not sure how old you are)
Old 28-11-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what about a Territory i`m not sure how seats and stuff fold down but might be worth looking at perhaps ask on Terry area.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2007, 09:22 PM   #4
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Love the user name...don't know about car choice...but great user name!!
Old 28-11-2007, 09:22 PM   #5
angryassdrummer
Starter Motor

i thought of that, but at the same time as this is going to be my first expensive car i think i want something more sporty.
I never thought of the extra insurance on the turbo.
Im 30, would it be much dearer between the standard and turbo with a rating 1?
Old 28-11-2007, 09:25 PM   #6
Scott

Neither flavour of XR6 comes in a wagon so that narrows it down a bit - if you're after power then you have choices in Ute's (either with Hardtop or Canopy) or a Turbo Terri. Doesn't matter what you pick, you'll love it just like we do.

ps - I know where there is a gorgeous Black XR8 ute with a lockable hard cover in Brisbane at the moment.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2007, 09:28 PM   #7
angryassdrummer
Starter Motor

also with the hard top id need one of the bigger ones to fit drum gear and the dog in, so its almost like a panel van. Where do you get them from?
Old 28-11-2007, 09:55 PM   #8
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryassdrummer
also with the hard top id need one of the bigger ones to fit drum gear and the dog in, so its almost like a panel van. Where do you get them from?

These are top quality: http://www.carryboy.com.au/
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2007, 10:00 PM   #9
angryassdrummer
Starter Motor

thats exactly what im after!
cheers!
Old 28-11-2007, 10:12 PM   #10
Scott

^^ BEAUTY!! buy one of those and this then:

Drop me a PM and I'll give you my acct details
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 12:10 AM   #11
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Go the territory.

We have a TT (wifes car) and BA V8 ute (my car)

The TT is a way better car in every way bar HP. Cue Turbo TT stage left.

That machine ticks all the boxes except its alittle bit dear. No for what you get but vs an XR ute. However you get what you pay for. Goes, stops steers, fits everything in with more security than a ute with canopy, and you can drive it 10 hours and get out feeling good. I did 5,000km in 2 weeks and always felt good.

The ute is a great car. The Territory is better.
Old 29-11-2007, 12:17 AM   #12
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go the XR6T......
But be careful putting your dog in the back.....make sure he/she is strapped down before you sink the boot in...

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 07:15 AM   #13
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by myts
Go the territory.

We have a TT (wifes car) and BA V8 ute (my car)

The TT is a way better car in every way bar HP. Cue Turbo TT stage left.

That machine ticks all the boxes except its alittle bit dear. No for what you get but vs an XR ute. However you get what you pay for. Goes, stops steers, fits everything in with more security than a ute with canopy, and you can drive it 10 hours and get out feeling good. I did 5,000km in 2 weeks and always felt good.

The ute is a great car. The Territory is better.

I cannot agree on this that a Terra is a better vehicle in all ways & I owned a Terra AWD for about 2 years travelling 45000 k's in it.

Yes it was a great vehicle however the Ute has much more Performance, Economy, Handling even with that nasty leaf sprung rear which I will play with to get it to ride better, It does not have rattles like the Terra nor does it have a list of issues that have to be fixed under warrenty as ours & many other peoples have had over the past years.

The stereo sounds much better even though as far as I know it is the same & the panels seem stronger & finish is better overall.
The dash & door trims for example are padded where the terra is hard plastic.

And to carry drums & Dogs etc is better in a Seperate compartment I think.

Now on the minus side for the Ute is not much room in cabin, bad visability when looking out to side/ rear, hard rear end ride coz of leaf springs, & in general not as easy to load things like shopping bags in as in the rear tray they would fly around all over the place so have to use cabin, well until I get a couple of wooden dividers made up that is.

Oh also a Ute is much cheaper to buy.

I do miss aspects of the Terra though am having much fun driving the Ute

As for a Turbo or not I can tell you the 190 kw NA Ute flies so cannot imagine needing a Turbo though would be fun
Buddy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 07:35 AM   #14
thexyking

This is where I think Ford has a real gap in their product range. If you need a wagon and you want a decent optionslist, your have to go for a Territory but they are expensive and they chew fuel. We have an I6 EL Fairmont wagon and for space and economy you can't beat it (Newcastle to Geelong on a single tank of fuel last year three up with luggage!) but the highest spec you can get in a wagon is a Futura and it only just has the same spec level as my 10 year old Fairmont.

When you look at the Holden range (not that I'll ever go there again) you have a Berlina wagon, they have had their SS Wagon specials that have sold well and the SS wagons have really held their value too.

How about a limited run of XR6 and XR8 wagons, I'll sign up today!

I think for the drums I'd option up a Futura wagon as far as I could and even put an XR front clip on it, just so I has something different. The wagon gives you greater flexibility for the amount of cargo you can put in it and also for carrying passengers when you're not carrying drums.

You could also play guitar (doesn't the drummer get paid less? ).
thexyking is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 07:28 PM   #15
angryassdrummer
Starter Motor

thanks for all your suggestions guys!

oh, by the way- drummers sometimes get paid less but score WAY more :evil3:
Old 29-11-2007, 07:42 PM   #16
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
^^ BEAUTY!! buy one of those and this then:

Drop me a PM and I'll give you my acct details
What is it. XR6T?
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 08:07 PM   #17
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy 1
I cannot agree on this that a Terra is a better vehicle in all ways
Sorry to hear that. I'd be cranky if I had a bad run with a car.

We have had no issues at all with ours and the wife loves it. You are right about the the cheap feel of the hard plastics and the tailgate lack that reassuring thud though.

I have not had issues with the ute either. It was a 3V 5.4 and an absolute jet for a cheap car. Its for sale now as I have an SSV work car (oh the shame )
Old 29-11-2007, 11:50 PM   #18
Scone
Tool

Thumbs up

gotta love that black beast
Scone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post