Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-03-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

Default help me decide on my possible new car please

ok guys and gals

i have been looking into getting a new car for some time now. this morning i went to a couple of dealers and i found cars that i was interested in but am having troubles deciding on which one i like the most.

so the first one is a 2005 BA MK11 XR8 6 speed manual with 33,500 k's, stock with pretty much no added extras that i can tell except for alloy pedal covers. all for a total of $33,000

now my second choice is a 2004 BA XR8 5 speed manual with 49,500 k's, however it has full leather interior, premo sound and and aftermarket exhaust (not sure what type, as car yard was closed when i was looking at them) all for a grand total of $30,000

now im not a big red car person (i know my current car is red) the first is blue and the second red, and i am obviousely not going to pay what they are asking for either of them, so i want to know what your thoughts are.

cheers

Aaron

CURRENT
'01 AU2 XR8 UTE - 5 SPEED MANUAL.
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS
'07 BF MK11 XR6 - 6 SPEED AUTO
'95 EF XR6 - 5 SPEED MANUAL

See my car HERE
CADSKY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 04:05 PM   #2
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it was me the second one for sure.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Should be able to find a MKII 6 speed manual XR8 for cheaper than that XR6 too.
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 04:15 PM   #4
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL XR6
Should be able to find a MKII 6 speed manual XR8 for cheaper than that XR6 too.
yeah i wont be paying that much obviously with the arrival of the new falcon so close, but the fact that they are both manual and have very little k's on them just caught my attention

CURRENT
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS

See my car HERE
Old 09-03-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Definitely the first one. Six speed with less kms. And a better colour. Exhaust can be added later.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 04:28 PM   #6
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torxteer
Definitely the first one. Six speed with less kms. And a better colour. Exhaust can be added later.
hmm yeah thats pretty much what i was thinking, but i should also mention that i am only 20 y.o. and the price of insurance does come to mind when we are looking at modified cars

CURRENT
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS

See my car HERE
Old 09-03-2008, 04:31 PM   #7
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

both are way overpriced but i'd go for the second one personally. Oh and alloy pedal covers were standard on BA MK2's.
Professor Farnsworth is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 04:57 PM   #8
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id go the first one.

6, speed, newer module with less K's and a better colour IMO, which will all work in your favour when you go too sell it.

Exhaust can be done buy you, can easily add a amp and better speakers too, so you are only really missing out on the leather.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:04 PM   #9
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd be going with the first one. But then again, I'm not a big leather person, so missing out on that isnt that big of a deal for me.

Then you've got the added bonus of having a 6 speed with lower K's. Thats where my money would be going.

I'd prefer a nice clean canvas, rather than a painting partially sketched out.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 05:10 PM   #10
stiddy
Banned

I'd grab the 1st one, MK11, bugs ironed out, 6spd, less k's, and a better platform to start with.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 05:15 PM   #11
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

km's are not the best reading of a good car. And i had a ba mk2 that was full of issues.

you drive the car, well, and see which is the best. a lot of people seem to think low km = good but that's certainly not always the case.
Professor Farnsworth is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 05:21 PM   #12
Steffo
LPG > You

Definitley the first one.

Newer. T56 vs TR3650. Less km. Did I mention its newer?
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 05:32 PM   #13
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Lower klm an extra gear and later model, no contest.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 05:32 PM   #14
XRQTOR
Banned

Just to give you an idea i just sold my 04 BA MKII xr8 for 33k that had 6 speed manaul, 18's & new rubber all round, 9 months rego, premo sound, FPV leather & suade seats-door trims-gauges-steering wheel- door garnishes & dash inserts, around 2o,oook's, full di fillippo 3" exhaust with quad tips, xtreme single plate clutch, whiteline adjustable 3omm sway bars & lowered 5omm all round.

Look around you should be able to find a cheaper car than that, i looked at what the lower km MKII's were selling for and mine was priced fairly compared to the other cars with similar or higher km's.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 05:51 PM   #15
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

everyone has some very valid points, i am leaning towards the MK11 and i have pretty much made up my mind on how it is going to go down, i will offer $29,000 and i will want $6000 trade in on my car, so i will pretty much be looking at about $23,000 in the end plus i want headlight protectors, 3 year warranty and 12 months rego, i am prepaired to walk away if they do not agree. like many of you have said, there are cheaper ones out there

CURRENT
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS

See my car HERE
Old 09-03-2008, 11:52 PM   #16
xy500
Constant annoyance

Default don't do it!

don't buy a car that new!
get something 70's, at least then you will not have to worry about depreciation (you will have appreciation hahahahaha yes im am so funny ) and if you fix up whatever is wrong with it when you buy it (if there is anything) i reckon you'll have less dramas, better reliability, if its on gas better economy? you will look cooler, be less of a target for thefts if you keep it looking stock, you will have the benefit of servicing it yourself and the peace of mind knowing you'll never need to take it to a ford dealership!
now i'm sure you won't take this advice but atleast now you've been forewarned.
xy500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 11:59 PM   #17
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Get an XB Coupe...It will appreciate over time and they are GREAT cars...ok...the back seat is a bit...ummm compromising in most situations.. but what a timeless classic!!
Old 10-03-2008, 12:11 AM   #18
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Mate both those sticker prices are too high, I paid $32k for mine (BA Mk1 XR8, 4sp auto, 18's, adjustable pedals, side airbags, 78,000km) back in December of 2006!

The blue one is definitely the right choice out of those 2, the 6sp manual is much better than the 5sp and it's practically a brand new car with only 33,000km on the clock...

Offer them $30k for it, if they refuse, go to another stealer....oops I mean dealer!!

Good luck

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 07:19 AM   #19
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Get an XB Coupe...It will appreciate over time and they are GREAT cars...ok...the back seat is a bit...ummm compromising in most situations.. but what a timeless classic!!
well if i had $100,000+ i possibly would do that

CURRENT
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS

See my car HERE