Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-04-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
Krakey
love thy ford

Default painting wheels

hey guys i was thinking about painting my au1 17" xr8 in black. I dont know anything about painting them so i was just after some feedback on whether this is a good idea or not.

Krakey

Old 24-04-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakey
hey guys i was thinking about painting my au1 17" xr8 in black. I dont know anything about painting them so i was just after some feedback on whether this is a good idea or not.

Krakey
Horrible idea. Sell the wheels to me for $150 bucks and buy some nice 19" black rims. They'd look heaps better! LOL!

Jokes aside now, there's a few blokes here that have had rims painted, but not S1 17s IIRC. I've seen a few sets of the S2 17s painted and they look okay actually. Mattp had a set of T-Series 18s (I think) in a dark grey and they looked okay, but he had them redone in original colours.

There are a few blokes who've actually done that sort of painting before, so stay tuned for some more advice shortly.

Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 08:08 PM   #3
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
There are a few blokes who've actually done that sort of painting before, so stay tuned for some more advice shortly.
I painted my Adrenalins a lighter shade of silver - they were a gunmetal colour and didn't work with Barossa Red (made it look dirty).

Anyhoo, I did mine much the same as this guy - but only the first bit, I didn't do the contrast http://tinyurl.com/4a439z

edit: a bit of clarification:- I used the same principle as this but but used 1 can of primer undercoat, 2 cans of Urethane (I think) wheel paint and 2 cans of clear.
I washed the rims, sanded lightly, prepsol'd, used the 7"x5" cards as he did (didn't have any probs with them) and painted the rims.
Been on (and off, lol) for around 10,000kms and not a mark on them.

Piece of cake...

Last edited by ronwest; 24-04-2008 at 08:27 PM.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2008, 06:41 PM   #4
5L
[ 5L ]

ive done it,but havnt finished them off yet.

i sprayed them with degreaser first to get off roadgrime and the rest, gave them a good scrub with soap and water, then gave them a sanding with 1200wet sandpaper, then a spary with a single etch primer(black). the single etch primer is important as it sticks to the metal of the wheels. ive scratched mine up once on a gutter and the paint barely chipped. and i just touched up with a black texta lol.

i would like to give mine another spray with primer, then take them to a spray shop to get sprayed with 2pac black for a better look.

oh to mask up, i just wedged masking tape between the tyre and rim and then tape masked up the tyres.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2008, 06:50 PM   #5
5L
[ 5L ]

here is what looked like, once they where painted. (no shine)

here is what they look like once i have sprayed them with tyreshine, my easy way of making them look better till i get them done in 2pac.

i also took the time to paint my brakes at the same time. gives it an even better look.

and when you take the wheel off and pop the centre cap out you will notice there is a hole in the back of the cap, push a screwdriver through that hole and that is how the badge comes out of the centre cap.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
Old 25-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #6
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Each to there own, but not my thing, leave them as they are or get some other rim's that are shadow chrome.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2008, 08:19 PM   #7
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Yeah each their own but i think the original poster was talking about AUI XR wheels
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2008, 08:22 PM   #8
5L
[ 5L ]

no matter if they are au1 or 2 xr wheels the process to paint will still be the same, the look will still be similar. he wants to know if it is a good idea, i think it is.

www.ignitionimages.com
Old 25-04-2008, 08:33 PM   #9
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXR8220
no matter if they are au1 or 2 xr wheels the process to paint will still be the same, the look will still be similar. he wants to know if it is a good idea, i think it is.
Yeah true
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 25-04-2008, 11:14 PM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Paint AU2 XR rims, but please don't paint AU1s with that nice machined finish. Sell them to someone who appreciates them for what they are, and buy a different set to paint!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2008, 09:05 AM   #11
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I agree JC, AUI 17's are near the best wheel ford have produced. Pity they dont come in 18's or id have a set on the TE
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 26-04-2008, 09:54 AM   #12
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
I painted my Adrenalins a lighter shade of silver - they were a gunmetal colour and didn't work with Barossa Red (made it look dirty).

Anyhoo, I did mine much the same as this guy - but only the first bit, I didn't do the contrast http://tinyurl.com/4a439z

edit: a bit of clarification:- I used the same principle as this but but used 1 can of primer undercoat, 2 cans of Urethane (I think) wheel paint and 2 cans of clear.
I washed the rims, sanded lightly, prepsol'd, used the 7"x5" cards as he did (didn't have any probs with them) and painted the rims.
Been on (and off, lol) for around 10,000kms and not a mark on them.

Piece of cake...
Did the urethane go on after the colour?
Old 26-04-2008, 11:14 AM   #13
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0
Did the urethane go on after the colour?
The paint is called "Urethane Wheel Paint".
Sequence is primer, then UWP, then clear.

There's a listing about halfway down this page:- http://www.derek.com.au/kh.html
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post