Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-05-2008, 09:37 PM   #1
SuperCobraJet
Starter Motor

Default AUIII IRS shock mounts

Hi everyone, just bought a AUIII XR8 and have replaced the rear shock mounts as they were shot. The car has been lowered by the previous owner and all I've done is removed / replaced everything as I found it, (with the new mounts). The problem I'm having is that no matter how tight a do up the shock nut there is still movement when I bounce the car as the thread on the sock is not long enough. When I took the top shock washer off, the 'cup' of the washer was facing up, should the 'cup' be facing down to allow the correct tightening?

SuperCobraJet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

try using a few metal washers to space it out a bit
richo77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2008, 08:39 PM   #3
SuperCobraJet
Starter Motor

Thanks Richo77, but I couldn't help myself and turned them over so the 'cup' is facing down, seems as though that has fixed the problem. No more rattles!
Old 07-05-2008, 09:13 PM   #4
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mine have the bowl as tho you can fill it with water...

if you put them the wrong way up they dig into the rubber .. another member recently took a photo of his which appear to have been replaced before and hey presto.. chewed out
Old 07-05-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
5L
[ 5L ]

yeah blackers is talking bout mine,

ive got it booked in to get fixed, you really should put them in the right way otherwise they will look like this

[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2008, 10:52 PM   #6
SuperCobraJet
Starter Motor

Yep, thats how mine are now after I turned them over. Looks like I'm putting them back the way they were!
So I take it that richo77's suggestion of spacing with washers is the best option to take. Seems odd that I'd need to do this, is their something else missing or lost that Ford used originally?
Old 07-05-2008, 11:02 PM   #7
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks auxr8220 thats the one i was talking about

mine have just got the top washer thing ..and the mount thats all..
Old 07-05-2008, 11:06 PM   #8
Bosman
T Series Club Member No24

Very common problem......Ahh quality contol? Use the washers and make sure cups are fitted corectly. Washers will fix prob.

After market items are being tested as we speak. Wont be available for a while tho.

FTe Venom T3TE50 No229 5.6L Manual Don't drive one! Because like so many others , including ME , you will become TOTALLY addicted.

2016 Harley Davidson Softail Heritage customized.
Dead set gorgeous!
Bosman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2008, 11:36 PM   #9
SuperCobraJet
Starter Motor

Of course!, the shocks will still be the standard units, and with King Spring SSL's in, the shock length will be protruding through the top mount too far to tighten down. If the standard springs were still in the car, I wouldn't be able to turn the cups over a still get nut on. The washers look to be the go, or change shock units. Thank everyone for kicking my brain into action.

Bosman, I did notice the thread about the fix coming and look forward to the fix.