Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-05-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 
Default building cars for a living

do you really need to have a trade to be building cars for a living?

or can you start your own business, basically become like a manager for the build, chase parts, quotes etc and obviously employ trades people to do certain work or contract things out ie building engines/paint etc but the car gets "built" in your place of business.

make sense? i know wat im trying to say but dunno if its comming out as well as it is in my head??? more beer perhaps?

MR.BA.GT.332 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

What do you mean by "building" cars? Are you talking rebuilding classics or modifying, or designing and manufacturing a car from scratch. I am assuming very low build quantities here.

If doing it from scratch, keep in mind you have too adhere to all of the design rules, government and industry regulations governing the design as well as the working environment and OH&S for your workers etc. Mind you same goes for modifying, or any manufactirung business really.

You dont have to be technically minded to run an automotive company per say, most CEOs originate from sales or accounting backgrounds. The best come from engineering backgrounds though. You would want to have a great idea and the money and strength to back it up. It's a very competitive, dog eat dog market out there.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2008, 05:43 AM   #3
Jayden
Graphic Artist

building cars would require tons of $ to start off. basically you also dedicate your life to finding investors, developing a car people want that is safe. and more business paperwork than fun. i found a wiki article with some small scale builders listed on it here:

you have to be pretty dedicated thats for sure. Id love to design one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...s_of_Australia

actually a few there i didnt even know about. like Goy.
Old 23-05-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
dakota 58
Starter Motor

i think it would help to have a trade or a skill you can offer to the customer, On the same token if what you have to offer is personal contacts (trades people) and a good eye for detail then I dont see why it wouldnt work. We have 6 GT's one being a HO to paint at my work and 3 are from a ford shop so they are doing the same thing you are putting forward. Quality and Service is the key
dakota 58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Please correct me if I am wrong, but if you are taking money of people for doing mechanical work on cars that are to be driven on the road you need a qualifiation (mechanic). So if your employees have the quals that woul be fine.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2008, 10:21 PM   #6
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

I think you would need to build some very high quality cars with your own cash before you will get anyone willing to hand over their cash.
Old 24-05-2008, 10:58 PM   #7
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

You could try Melrose Mustang's trick of taking people's money and never finishing their car...
Old 25-05-2008, 09:19 PM   #8
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

to answer your question no trade required you got the cash , hook in ! save time next time ford /gmh have a subsiduary up for sale make a bid :
Old 26-05-2008, 06:59 PM   #9
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

you would defenetly need trade certs.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2008, 07:58 PM   #10
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Back in the dim dark past when it was easier to shift sideways in proffesions Howard Marsden started out as a tyre fitter (obviously before they had invented tyre fitting technicians) and Gary Cooper (Elfin founder) was a panel beater.

I have worked with structural engineers and they are usually a conservative bunch with 2:1 safety factors, etc. The scary thought I have is that Lotus founder Colin Chapman was a structural engineer (designing bridges?) while his designs were light and innovative they did tend to have high failure rates, especially for an ex-structural engineer.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post