Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-08-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Warranty woes - Do I need an alignment?

Hi guys,

Issues on the Kia pulling to the left. Kia has released a bullitin on the prob, so I booked it in to get fixed (warrenty). The guy (at the end of the job) told me he had to pull out the whole front left suspension and do some adjustments, and that now, I will have to take it to get a wheel alignment.

I have had 3 wheel alignments in the past 6 months to sort this problem out (1 of which, they crashed my car) and a set of 4 new tyres.

Should I really have to pay out for a wheel alignment? If he "really" recommends I get one since this work was done, should they be doing it?

On another note, I also had some brake shudder at high speeds. I was gonna get the discs machined, but the guys said there was a bullitin issued by Kia about customers complaining about brake shudder, and they will book it in (warranty work) to get 4 new pads, and two new front discs (currently done 45,000 k's). This concerns me that there may be a more serious issue here? Am I right, as I'm still driving the car for a while till the work will be done.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 08:56 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Its a Kia, and the brake issue sounds like the BA one, i wouldnt stress, its just a matter of upgrading the parts so they don't do the same thing again!
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 11:10 PM   #3
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You payed good money for the tyres, a wheel alignment (out of your pocket) to look after your tyres is not worth fussing about. It's cheap, I say just do it.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2008, 12:27 AM   #4
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't see why the OP should have to pay for an alignment again. The car came to Kia with the wheels aligned - or close to it - and came back out of alignment due to the warranty work done. Restoring the alignment should be Kia's responsibility. It's like saying "We took your wheels off, but put them back on loose - you'd better tighten them before you drive off"
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2008, 10:34 AM   #5
smally289
growing up is optional

[QUOTE=Kia Chaser]Should I really have to pay out for a wheel alignment? If he "really" recommends I get one since this work was done, should they be doing it?

QUOTE]

I'd push to have the alignment done, but just remember a couple of things.

The guy you spoke to does not have the authority to make decisions on what is or isn't warranty. Even the Dealership has its hands tied by the manufacturer. Kia don't own the Dealership, and any warranty work is paid for by them to the dealer, just like any other workshop customer, just at a lower labour rate. Basically if Kia won't pay the dealer for the alignment, then it won't get done unless you do.

Again, I reckon it should be done as part of the repair. Is there a customer support number for Kia in the owners manual? Get up 'em!
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
Dezza
Parts bin special

If it was fixed under warranty, they should be paying for the alignment. Basically anytime you muck around with steering or suspension components, I'd recommend an alignment.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #7
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

I don't think you should have to pay in this case, but I would rather get my own alignment done than trust a dealer, no matter how fancy their machines, they can't seem to get it right.

Daily: Tornado MY20 GTI

Retired: Venom BA XR8 - build thread
genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post