Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-09-2008, 02:05 PM   #31
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Did you use the little fuse puller tool?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2008, 02:19 PM   #32
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

fuses seized in maybe you got bigger probs than you think !
Old 18-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #33
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Did you use the little fuse puller tool?
Not one for under bonnet.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2008, 05:38 PM   #34
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
Not one for under bonnet.
I know the main fuse is bolted in but I thought the others were free, this is not good I think.

maybe give it a whack with some WD40 to see if that can free it a little.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2008, 05:47 PM   #35
burnz
VFII SS UTE

run a clean rag over your four sensor, all dirt will impead operation.
and check the clearance of the impella and sensor's = less than 1mm
(the sensor's are magnetic and will attract filling of sort's and will give false reading's)= error.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2008, 10:27 PM   #36
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
I thought this was BS so I pulled the dash out to remove the ABS and TC bulbs but for some BS Ford reason I can't remove the bulbs from the back.
It's called idiot proofing, preventing morons from dissabling safety warning systems. there is no sane or legal reason to dissable these lights, ABS is a safety feature this car is designed with it is there for your safety and the safety of other road users. take the car to someone else you will find the repairs far more reasonable either a sensor or more likely you need a recod unit for under $200 i couldn't see it being much more than 3 or 4 hundred
stop whinging make your car safe

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2008, 10:39 PM   #37
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I know the main fuse is bolted in but I thought the others were free, this is not good I think.

the ABS fuse is bolted in too IIRC
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2008, 10:39 PM   #38
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

the ABS fuse is bolted in too IIRC
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2008, 11:41 PM   #39
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Just do an ABS delete.

Your foot will become the new ABS module!

And youll save weight and as a result increase fuel economy!
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2008, 12:54 AM   #40
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez104
I fully agree with you all, he needs to get it fixed rather than dodgey it up. But a lot of the replies seem to be pointing towards ABS being the "be all and end all" in brakes. A half decent driver without ABS will out out brake the same car with ABS thats had the pedal thumped to the floor.

I'll sit back now and see whos cage I've rattled.

Dave.
No cage rattling from me Dave....i've got an EF Gli, no abs here mate! ABS is damn good, and sleekism should just work out what parts he needs (stay away from this mechanic, 2k is outrageous) and go to the wreckers and grab em (or ripco etc.)

ABS systems (particularly older ones like the EF) are quite often beaten to a stop by a nonABS car with a driver who 'threshold brakes'. Of course in a panic situation most people just slam the pedal to the floor, hence ABS is the way to go. ABS also allows you to swerve and recover, whereas nonABS cars this can get dicey if you dont have good car control.

Short answer, get em fixed (won't cost that much) if you have em, if you don't, make sure you know how to pull up a car quickly without panicking. Oh and you need good tyres and the brake system has to be in good working order otherwise this is all worth diddly.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2008, 02:21 AM   #41
seduced_xr
BF XR6

theyre taking u for a ride mate.
my brother was on the way to work 6 months ago in his EF when the brakes almost didnt work at all. luckily enough he was 2 streets over from work and managed to roll it to the carpark. he went off to work y my aunty went down with an exchange car and took the EF to our mechanic. ever brake part was routed. cost $1200 all up with labour
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2008, 02:35 AM   #42
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that may be true in a car not designed for ABS but the ABS unit is an integral part of the braking system of these cars and without it the ADR compliance becomes void. remember these cars were tested and compied with the ABS and for this reason it must be intact and operational if you dodgy or remove the ABS you will be uninsurable too. This includes CTP which would be void with dodgy illegal brakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez104
I fully agree with you all, he needs to get it fixed rather than dodgey it up. But a lot of the replies seem to be pointing towards ABS being the "be all and end all" in brakes. A half decent driver without ABS will out out brake the same car with ABS thats had the pedal thumped to the floor.

I'll sit back now and see whos cage I've rattled.

Dave.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #43
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like what Burnz says, make sure the tome wheels and the sensors that read the ABS signal are not dirty. Mine on the NC are a little bit, and anything over 125km/h sees the ABS light come on cause the dirt and speed makes it hard to read the signal. Haven't tried the ABS at that speed though, but I turn the car off and back on and the light goes out and ABS works again. I will be replacing the sensors and cleaning the tome wheels when I get new rotors. I have about 2-3 months left on mine so wont be pulling it all apart to clean, only to have to do it all again later. In the meantime I stick to the speed limit and all is good, unless some idiot is really up me on the freeway when I am already at 120 and clearly overtaking and about to move left anyway... but I digress.

It does sound as though your situation is more severe, and if it is dirty sensors then they must be really bad not to work at any speed, so I would bet this is not the problem. On the other hand a cheap and easy fix that doesn't cost coin should equally be ruled out before spending serious coin.

I agree though, needs to be fixed. Car was engineered to have ABS there. I immediately get out of a taxi if the ABS light is glowing - not a good sign.
Old 19-09-2008, 11:25 AM   #44
Cappy_Hamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDZ
Totally with you on that post dave. When i need to stop the ute, I find myself toying with the pedal to avoid ABS coming on anyway... ABS never feels like it slows me down faster

ABS is not designed to slow you down faster, it is designed to not lock the brakes in an emergency situation and allow you to steer around the problem.
Brakes locked = no steering control

Cappy_Hamper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2008, 01:27 PM   #45
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy_Hamper
ABS is not designed to slow you down faster, it is designed to not lock the brakes in an emergency situation and allow you to steer around the problem.
Brakes locked = no steering control
a good driver wont lock their brakes .
but there are not many good drivers on the road ,so the safe way is to give them as little control of the situation.
its a safety device for the larger population ,and he should fix it .
Old 19-09-2008, 05:05 PM   #46
FPV GT40
Banned

There are not many good drivers around here or anywhere, if you are a good driver you would be spending the long week end in Bathurst behind the wheel of a race car.....not at home or trackside watching.

People talk the talk but I bet 99.9% can not walk the walk, I would challenge anyone here to pull up quicker than a car with ABS in a panic situation where some moron pulls out in front of you, people will just hit the brakes as hard as they can, and 99% of people will actually press down on the pedal harder once the brakes locked up and the car starts sliding as they panic more.

Re the topic just fix it, my EL XR8 ABS light came on, just took the wheels off degreased and wiped and cleaned the sensors thoroughly and all has been well for 12 months now, buy a cheap bristle detail scrubbing brush (Bunnings cleaning section about $3, bought a heap the other day, all different shapes and sizes available)and some degreaser, all up about $20 and a couple of hours work, and chances are it will be fixed. If not find what parts need replacing and replace them, and your clean sensors will be a good thing anyway, so either way you have not wasted your time.
FPV GT40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2008, 05:11 PM   #47
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Moved here as the thread is now model specific tech.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2008, 09:53 PM   #48
KenW
spanner spinner

I am pretty sure as a supplementary system you do not have to have the abs system working to pass a roadworthy .(in Vic anyway)
KenW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 12:58 PM   #49
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

people need the means and money to race ,its like all sports not neccessarily the best are playing just those with the will or want ,
and i agree most people wont beat abs as i have already said .
no more abs in my garage and i will lower my standard of trim if it deletes abs .
i can stop better without it. im improving my odds by my personal choice .but i dont stuff with cars brakes and tyres are your lifeline ,go for a walk through your work carspace and see who drives on quality tyres ,those same people will not fix their brakes either ,its their life and being cheap is like a lotto ticket .some win some lose .and i will accept your challenge car ,4wd,or bike they are waiting outside .
Old 20-09-2008, 03:24 PM   #50
eXi7w0unD

oi sleekism, take out ur abs module, send it to the guy on ebay, less then 200 bucks later and 3 days u will have it back... put it back in and it works again. i did. and u can drive the car without the abs module in.