Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-12-2008, 10:35 PM   #1
Sprint XR8

Default Pontiac Reconsiders G8 ST

Rick Kranz
Automotive News
December 15, 2008 - 12:01 am ET

DETROIT — Although Pontiac plans to trim nameplates in the next three years to possibly one vehicle, the front-wheel-drive 2010 G3 subcompact will arrive on schedule next spring.

But General Motors is reconsidering plans to launch the 2010 G8 ST sport pickup late next year.

"We are having lots of discussions," said Susan Docherty, vice president of Buick-Pontiac-GMC. "We would be foolish if we didn't take a second look at whether or not that is the right thing to do."

GM developed the G8 ST on the G8 platform. Enthusiasts had compared the pickup to the Chevrolet El Camino, which ended production in the late 1980s. The G8 ST pickup was created by GM's Holden subsidiary in Australia. GM projected sales of about 5,000 units annually.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2008...812150340/1178

Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might as well cancel it.
Most dont seem to like it anyway.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 09:01 AM   #3
axeray

Second that one
axeray is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
Jayden
Graphic Artist

Why dont they just delete Pontiac altogether. I think thats what any true pontiac fan would want after the torture GM has inflicted on it over the years.
Old 16-12-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayden
Why dont they just delete Pontiac altogether. I think thats what any true pontiac fan would want after the torture GM has inflicted on it over the years.
Too right. That and 5,000 units annualy? - In America?!
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 07:23 PM   #6
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am sure Pontiac will die soon with Saturn, and then GMC. Hummer and Saab are the only sellable brands GM has. Even then, Hummer seems to be more of a giveaway right now.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 07:36 PM   #7
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
I am sure Pontiac will die soon with Saturn, and then GMC. Hummer and Saab are the only sellable brands GM has. Even then, Hummer seems to be more of a giveaway right now.

I cant see why Hummer wouldn't be more suited to some of the hybrid drives.

If G8 sales are anything to go by I reckon they should can the Sport truck.
Old 16-12-2008, 07:45 PM   #8
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's the thing, Hummer has potential, but needs a lot of money thrown in to it to reinvent the brand. Probably not where GM wants to invest it's (lack of) money at the moment
Old 16-12-2008, 08:27 PM   #9
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
What do SAAB have to offer anyone?

The've been promising a 9-5 replacement for ages. This is a car that in it's original form was part of the Type 4 program (late 80's/early 90's?). There are around 30 variants of the 9-3 for sale in Australia and how many do they sell a month?
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 10:26 PM   #10
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayden
With the very tough economic times the US car makers are facing it would make sense for GM US to look at all their divisions and combine them under one as back in 2004 Oldsmobile the oldest division was closed and with Chevy, Buick, Pontiac Cadillac and Saturn all having their own plants and dealers it would cut cost but at the expense of employees.

Every country has its localised tastes and the Aussie car buyer has a different taste in what style a car should be to the average American. Some of their current passenger cars are dog ugly but would sell better than a Holden or Falcon over there
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 10:51 PM   #11
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K

The've been promising a 9-5 replacement for ages. This is a car that in it's original form was part of the Type 4 program (late 80's/early 90's?). There are around 30 variants of the 9-3 for sale in Australia and how many do they sell a month?
I still find it amazing that SAAB is still open for business. I don't know anyone who drives a saab or anyone who aspires to for that matter..............
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2008, 05:05 AM   #12
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K

I am not suggesting Saab is great, but it is sellable because it has it's own infrastructure to go with it. Pontiac shares the same engines, platforms as other GM brands. Same with Saturn. GMC actually couldn't be sold from GM because of the name. GMCs are the same as Chevy Trucks, and come out of the same factory. Really, GM only has Saab and Hummer to sell. Whoever buys Hummer from GM will probably need GM to supply engines, powertrains and chassis as part of the deal, to keep the H2 and H3 going. But AM General sourced engines and powertrains for the Humvee from GM before GM bought the Hummer brand from AM General anyway.

UPDATE: I just read that AM General might buy Hummer back from GM

Last edited by chevypower; 17-12-2008 at 05:12 AM.
Old 17-12-2008, 11:20 AM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Why bother with the G8 ST if they only planned on selling 5000 a year anyway. Based on the sales of the G8 they could probably only sell half of that anyway, and thats what, 2-3 days of production out of Elizabeth? Waste of time and money. It would just be more vehicles sitting around in car yards they can't sell.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post