Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-02-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Queensland Police to Tap Facebook and Emails

FEARS have been raised about police abusing new phone-tapping powers to snoop on social networking sites such as Facebook and private emails.

Leading criminal lawyer Jim Coburn accused the State Government of "fudging" the scope of the telephone intercept powers, which start this year.

"(Police) will have authority to eavesdrop on communications, be they speech, music or sounds, data, text, images or signals," Mr Coburn said.

Vote now: Should police be able to monitor social networking sites?

"Anything and everything will be part of the phone tap power laws."

A Justice Department spokesman said police had the power to access Facebook and email documents once they'd been received by the recipient. However the new powers would give police "real time access".

"Any communication passing across the telecommunications system can be lawfully intercepted under powers provided in a telecommunications intercept warrant," he said.

Mr Coburn also labelled the program's independent watchdog -- the Public Interest Monitor -- a "toothless tiger" that would be unable to reject phone tapping applications.

"Tight controls and restraints need to be imposed on these powers but looking at the legislation, there's nothing in there to stop the police from using these powers to launch fishing expeditions against citizens," he said.

The PIM has lobbied the Government for more resources to cope with an expected glut of applications once phone-tapping powers are in place.

Queensland Council for Civil Liberties vice-president Terry O'Gorman dismissed concerns about the PIM, saying the final decision on phone taps would rest with a Supreme Court judge.

"If (Mr Coburn) is saying that the PIM accepts or rejects phone-tap applications, that is wrong," Mr O'Gorman said.

Premier Anna Bligh held off introducing the powers, which will be based on a federal model adopted in all other states, until the PIM oversight was included.

Mr Coburn, who works for Ryan and Bosscher Lawyers, also predicted lengthy court battles when police attempted to use evidence gained by phone taps in court.

"The police say having these powers will make it easier to catch criminals but phone tap recording and intercepted emails and texts can be manipulated so any such evidence is going to be challenged in court," he said.

Old 21-02-2009, 11:54 PM   #2
reece1
reece1

who cares if you not doing the wrong thing you got nothing to worry about
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 12:11 AM   #3
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece1
Famous last words , apart from the fact the proposal will be abused ( an historically proven certainty)there is a definite question about just how constitutional this is , if you delete posts there may well be accusation of interefing with a police investigation so how can you defend against such abuse.. I doubt it will happen but one never know with the current govco
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 12:16 AM   #4
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
I am sure a few Jews said that just after Uncle Adolf got in.

We have a lot to worry about.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 12:30 AM   #5
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
unless your falsely accused or setup of course. imagine having no right to a lawyer , or to call your family because of a setup!!! and think of what could a politician off, perhaps a view on any touchy subject could land your rrrsss in jail for an unrelated charge to what you actually say.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 08:26 AM   #6
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Read my sig
Old 22-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #7
3vXT

Were is flappist? he'll be on this like stink on .
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 10:49 AM   #8
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The media already snoop in on facebook...
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 11:17 AM   #9
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag top
The media already snoop in on facebook...
Yes I was going to say, the probably already do. If they have a person of interest they will have ways of getting into private webpages etc
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #10
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The last realm of free speech and freedom comes to an end. It'll start out like this, then get more serious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #11
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well considering everything on facebook you type is sent out to everyone they know as a notification or update its really just freedom of information
there was even a group about polcols (police collisions) haha then it got pulled off

i saw identity theft before criminal convictions happening on a wide scale

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #12
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
Yes I was going to say, the probably already do. If they have a person of interest they will have ways of getting into private webpages etc
AND if they do, AND if they are caught out doing so, then they shall pay $$.

REM, we have 'all rights', unless law is passed that then 'restricts' that right.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #13
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
Were is flappist? he'll be on this like stink on .
...won't be too far away

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2009, 12:21 AM   #14
Flaming Mo

I don’t mean to take the gloss of some excellent media scaremongering, but to put this story into perspective, these are merely communication tapping powers for Queensland Police to bring them into line with the rest of the country. Every other state in the nation has had these powers for years and the abuse of such powers does not seem to be an issue. E-mails and internet use are just part of telecommunication lines.

For many years now, Qld Police have remained the only (YES ONLY) law enforcement agency in the country without the power to tap into communication lines. This has no doubt made them relatively ineffective when investigating organised criminal networks, and much more ineffective than their interstate counterparts. Up to this point they have had to rely on help from other law enforcement agencies (AFP, CMC) to investigate matters involving telecommunication intercepts.

Some of the statements in the article also appear misleading. Even the normally anti police civil liberties guru Terry O’Gorman has had to correct them.

I’m sure the lawyer in the article has an unbiased and community minded view on the matter, but I’m just curious as to whether he is the same Brisbane based lawyer James Coburn who represents Qld outlaw motorcycle gang members?

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...07-952,00.html
Flaming Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2009, 12:29 AM   #15
aye you
The Origional, The Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumXR
...won't be too far away
i hear him thundering down the hall way now...
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2009, 03:06 AM   #16
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People need to take note, dispite the apparently privacy online, you never say anything online that might incriminate or make you look like a jackass, be that in the eyes of potential employers, or the police. You think you're talking to a friend, you're talking to the world.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2009, 03:09 AM   #17
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Man I love blind replies like this.

I'm sure you are the most perfect person on the planet.
Old 23-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #18
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you are a crim and discuss it online you will be more likely to be caught . if you are not involved in unlawful activity ther is nothing to worry . privacy still applies ti any lawful comment on the sites so they can't tap in and publish lawful stuff .
there is no way you can be convicted of a crime from this unless you admit to or give an indication that you have commited a crime.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #19
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aye you
i hear him thundering down the hall way now...
Actually I was down at the Gold Coast Australian Motorcycle Expo looking at all the new toys I can't afford.

A couple of years ago a person I knew was jailed for 12 years for attempted murder. The strongest evidence against her was the 12 months history of SMS sent between her and other parties BEFORE the event, and yes she actually did do it.

Is there anyone on here who is not aware that the content of every SMS you have ever sent is recorded along with time and date and in the last few years quite accurate position when it was sent?
Voice and video calls are also logged for time, date, duration, parties involved and positions.

There are many people who break the law regularly for criminal or philosophical reasons (remember you were once jailed for not fighting in Vietnam etc). Many have never been caught, possibly because they did not talk or write about it or boast about it on the internet.

So if you like to drive fast and/or modify your car for more performance by fitting components that may nullify your compliance with ADRs don't put videos on youtube, pics in face book, MMS to your mates or boast about it on AFF (or put it in your sig) because that is about as smart as wearing cannibis related logos or swastikas on your Tshirts.

You do not need a lot of smart coppers to catch dumb people....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2009, 02:35 PM   #20
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Is there anyone on here who is not aware that the content of every SMS you have ever sent is recorded along with time and date and in the last few years quite accurate position when it was sent?
Voice and video calls are also logged for time, date, duration, parties involved and positions....
This is oh so true
Reason I know for absolute definite fact is that the Police told me straight out that they had logged my text messages and voice calls from my mobile and my home phone for a month and that cleared me of being involved with something not quite so nice that a person living in my house was involved in.

Thank goodness they do keep tabs in that respect
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post