Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-09-2009, 04:10 PM   #31
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXRVIII
With a premium of over $2000 to get into an ecoboost Falcon over the I6 version, I don't think Mondeo sales will be affected too much.
Why did you get 2000K premium from? No-one has talked cost yet with ecoboost, so talk of a 2000 premium is just BS at this stage
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #32
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
thats your fuel economy, what did the government say it was??
my car (LS1) uses 9.1 hwy, 14.2 city but the gov says 15 ave.

sidi what its true fuel use is unknown, ecotec is low 7's on hwy.
sidi is not unknown. in case you haven't read the whole thread, the cars are tested in the latest wheels. the journo's are the ones claiming the 9.3 (combined adr81/02) by holden is a little optimistic as they only achieved 9.9 which was a large % of highway.

also referred to is the ad on tv which claims 900km to a tank on the highway, as though this is some new ground breaking efficiency. when you consider the tank size and do the math, its not really any step forward from what currently available on the market from all corners.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #33
burnz
VFII SS UTE

like i said adr 81/02 they claim mine get 17+/100, only if i drive like i stole it maybe.

900ks in a tank in a family car isnt to hard (6cyl), yes a 70+ tank but you "may" still be able to drive more.

the ad put's it simple A to B with a tank (no jargon, no complicated mess)
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #34
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The Mondeo costs at least $7000 less than an Omega doesn't it.

7k would buy a hell of a lot of petrol. It would probably cover the miniscule extra fuel costs for the life of the car.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 05:37 PM   #35
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we need a standard tank size to uncomplicate things!

Just out of interest, I have a current model Hyundai Elantra 2.0 petrol, and did 935km by GPS from Sydney to Geelong on a tank! That tank is a lot less than a holdens tank! just 57litres!!! 6 litre average sitting on 120 the whole way. apart from past speed cameras and average speed camera areas, and 100 zones where I did 110.

For the Holden, in their marketing about 900 to a tank, I also wonder what their speed was? perhaps 85 -90?!!! They wont tell you what it was will they!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #36
prydey
Rob

Quote:
like i said adr 81/02 they claim mine get 17+/100, only if i drive like i stole it maybe.

900ks in a tank in a family car isnt to hard (6cyl), yes a 70+ tank but you "may" still be able to drive more.

the ad put's it simple A to B with a tank (no jargon, no complicated mess)
you're missing the point. those gm glasses are fogging up
Old 27-09-2009, 05:54 PM   #37
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
this is not the first time holden stated that you can drive syd to melb in one tank.
and its the smaller than standard tank 73ltr, whats point to this thread??

you saying it cant be done or something??
i get 820k's to a tank in mine, 75ltr standard size.
Old 27-09-2009, 06:37 PM   #38
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
Wait to the Falcon with EcoBoost I4 lands in the same showroom. The mondeo will be completely redundant. Who would buy a Mondeo then?
Except that the Mondeo is meant to be getting a smaller ecoboost motor.
Old 27-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #39
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe these journos have heavy feet but I don't know how they can get such high figures for highway driving, in all cars they test. My AU gets up to 830km on one tank (57ish litres) at 110kmh. Most likely because it sits at under 2000rpm 95% of the time, shes just like driving a diesel. Good luck doing that in a gutless 1.8 tonne 3.0 litre Commodore.

Anyway, if you were buying a Mondeo for economy the diesel would be a no brainer. Probably just as quick as the 3.0l Holden too.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 08:55 PM   #40
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
I am watching the Grand Final halftime entertainment and the new Holden SIDI ad comes on.
Holden is comparing the new Holden SIDI engine with the Mondeo. The ad states " The new SIDI Holden gets better fuel economy than Fords Mondeo "
Mondeo isn't selling very well, Ford had better counter this ad ASAP !!!!

Yeah I saw that too... good ad.

I liked the Toyota ute ad better.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #41
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey

Mate, This kind of discussion with holden fanboyz is a bit like argueing with the Dog, that his tin of PAL tastes like crap!!
For some reason they just never see your point of view. _2:

I'm outta here. More interesting things to read.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 10:29 PM   #42
prydey
Rob

Quote:
this is not the first time holden stated that you can drive syd to melb in one tank.
and its the smaller than standard tank 73ltr, whats point to this thread??

you saying it cant be done or something??
i get 820k's to a tank in mine, 75ltr standard size.

by these comments you are unwittingly proving the exact point i've been trying to make to you. 900km on a tank is nothing special, given the tank size. we are talking about holdens new sidi engines. they have been promoted as being the next big thing for efficient 6cyl engines and yet their economy, while being better than the outgoing holden engine, aren't really any better than the other 6cyl products on the market.

sidi = fail :
Old 27-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #43
burnz
VFII SS UTE

but who's tested it??
those clowns that take an XR6T over the 400mtr in 30seconds.
they average 9+ltr/100 in an xt when you and i know they do a lot better..

as an ad simple for the simple folks, too much info about fuel economy and you lose them.
they lose intrest (short attetion span) syd to melb one tank.

and your right about nothing special to get a car to do the same distance, but does joe public know that??

and does sidi fail?? i dont know i havent driven it yet. but their a differance not driving yet and not know how to drive. RE:moto jurno's.
Old 28-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #44
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

You have to wonder why Wheels didn't include a 6sp Falcon on the test, or for that matter an Aurion.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 12:40 PM   #45
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
You have to wonder why Wheels didn't include a 6sp Falcon on the test, or for that matter an Aurion.
Yeah, I remember when Wheels was thorough; it's all a bit of shameless promotion these days. Since GMH is talking about how the 3.0 SIDI compares to mid sized vehicles they should have taken a Camry or Mazda6 along for good measure.

I'm sure they'll tell us how bad the 3.0 SIDI is when the next model comes out in three years time, until then they'll be singing its praises. They're probably feverishly working on how to include it in the running for COTY.
Old 28-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #46
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If we're gonna be fair to wheels (which I do believe in most cases is on Holden's payroll) they did give the SIDI commo 3.5 stars, while the Calais and XT both got 4. The comment for the SIDI was 'Not as economical as expected'. Judging by this, if you drive the thing with one foot on the brake, cruise to the traffic lights, etc etc you MAY get the figures Holden are sprouting, otherwise a Falcon (or even a 3.6l Commo) is not much different and they're better cars to boot.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 02:33 PM   #47
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
If we're gonna be fair to wheels (which I do believe in most cases is on Holden's payroll) they did give the SIDI commo 3.5 stars, while the Calais and XT both got 4. The comment for the SIDI was 'Not as economical as expected'. Judging by this, if you drive the thing with one foot on the brake, cruise to the traffic lights, etc etc you MAY get the figures Holden are sprouting, otherwise a Falcon (or even a 3.6l Commo) is not much different and they're better cars to boot.
I haven't read the article, but from what you've quoted it does sound like there's a fair degree of sugar coating going on there. Do they make any reference to the old 3.6 V6 / 4-Speed drivetrain combination?
Old 28-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #48
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holdens going after the fleet market with SIDI (as with most of their non performance models) - which I never really understand why fleets buy large cars. 99% of the time a fleet car carries one person. It used to be because you had to buy Australian (government fleets) but that rule has been relaxed in recent years and I know we mainly buy Corolla's now supplimented with E-gas falcons to hedge our bets.

You should see the difference between a fleet Corolla with 40,000kms and a fleet Commodore with 40,000kms (I'm talking hundreds of short trips a day with 30 different drivers a day thrashing them from start to stop). Love it or hate it the Corolla's are still tight, run flawlessly and havn't broken down. The VE Commore feels like it has 300,000kms, idles roughly, starts poorly, feels like its just falling apart (unfortuanly the E-gas dosn't fair much better - though we havn't got FG yet, still BF2's).

Don't get me wrong I still buy my Aussie cars but for fleets I don't get the reasoning (well accept for gas).
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 03:58 PM   #49
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
I haven't read the article, but from what you've quoted it does sound like there's a fair degree of sugar coating going on there. Do they make any reference to the old 3.6 V6 / 4-Speed drivetrain combination?
Have to be honest I skipped to the summary (lunch hour running out) so can't answer your question. Perhaps someone with the mag can?
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 04:46 PM   #50
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
99% of the time a fleet car carries one person.
Does this same rule not apply to private cars? Take one look at the cars around you tomorrow morning when your stuck in traffic. Most will only have the person in the car.

Any away, Holden marketing have yet again done a fantastic job.. with comments like "Australian made" & "most significant change in the history of Commodore" make this add powerfully IMO.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #51
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Holdens going after the fleet market with SIDI (as with most of their non performance models) - which I never really understand why fleets buy large cars. 99% of the time a fleet car carries one person. It used to be because you had to buy Australian (government fleets) but that rule has been relaxed in recent years and I know we mainly buy Corolla's now supplimented with E-gas falcons to hedge our bets.

You should see the difference between a fleet Corolla with 40,000kms and a fleet Commodore with 40,000kms (I'm talking hundreds of short trips a day with 30 different drivers a day thrashing them from start to stop). Love it or hate it the Corolla's are still tight, run flawlessly and havn't broken down. The VE Commore feels like it has 300,000kms, idles roughly, starts poorly, feels like its just falling apart (unfortuanly the E-gas dosn't fair much better - though we havn't got FG yet, still BF2's).

Don't get me wrong I still buy my Aussie cars but for fleets I don't get the reasoning (well accept for gas).
Couldn't agree more.
We have the exact same experience where I work and I can't understand why it was a Commodore only (it's now Aurion...) for rep-work...
Surely an e-gas Falc would be a better choice ???

But please don't push it as I would still much rather drive a RWD vehicle with a little bit of grunt (even if it does feel like a flogged taxi to drive) than an FWD sh*tter with no grunt...
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 11:08 PM   #52
Gaz
Got Ghia?

"SIDI Direct Injection"

ooo that expandes out into "Spark Ignition Direct Injection Direct Injection"
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #53
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Anyone references the latest Wheels Mag yet?

There's the comparison between the SIDI, new 3.6L and XT Falcon.

Holden would be upset with the result, the SIDI's fuel economy i think was 9.9L/100, the 3.6L was 10L/100km and falc was 10.5L/100km.

Another comparison with problems though. The falc only had the 5 speed auto while the Holdens had the new 6 speed auto. The 3.6L was in the Calais, and i'm sure they were comparing the ride to the XT ???
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2009, 10:24 AM   #54
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya
Anyone references the latest Wheels Mag yet?

There's the comparison between the SIDI, new 3.6L and XT Falcon.

Holden would be upset with the result, the SIDI's fuel economy i think was 9.9L/100, the 3.6L was 10L/100km and falc was 10.5L/100km.

Another comparison with problems though. The falc only had the 5 speed auto while the Holdens had the new 6 speed auto. The 3.6L was in the Calais, and i'm sure they were comparing the ride to the XT ???
you obviously haven't read through from the start. wheels mag has been referred to already. falcon was only there as a reference. main focus in whole article was on the sidi engines. that test proved that sidi isn't really a big improvement.
Old 30-09-2009, 04:53 PM   #55
jixel 78

Quote:

Im of the opinion that when someone is driving somebody elses car (fleet) if its got a bit of squirt (6 cylinders) chances are the fleet car driver will tend to belt the 6 banger more than a four. I reckon any Falcon or Commo driven by a rep would get thumped compared to a Corolla. If everyone drove a Camry like they drive a Falcon, I reckon that old Camry would feel a bit loose too.
jixel 78 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2009, 11:12 PM   #56
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Box
Next time you watch that ad READ THE FINE PRINT!!! ;)
Here we go: