Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
dreamerman
Want Trouble Free Ride

Default Recommendation for economical car

Hi. I will need to buy another (new) car soon & it has to be under $20k, auto with all round disc brakes. I simple hate rear drums for my own reasons. So far, Hyundai Getz 1.6 fits the bill. Haven't own any Hyundai cars before but understand that it is a reasonable car with impressive 5 year/unlimited kms warranties.

Anyone knows of any other cars that fits my criteria?

Cheers.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Does it really have to be an auto?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

get a newish (not brand new) Mazda 3 sedan. Probably the least girly looking economical car.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about a Ford Fiesta? Does it have to be brand new? You can get XR4's for pretty good prices
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
What about a Ford Fiesta? Does it have to be brand new? You can get XR4's for pretty good prices
Thats what I was thinking, but manual only.

If you want better fuel economy then a manual is a must, autos and small cars just dont mix unless you are spending big bucks.

But if you could do a manual then id be buying a Integra DC2 Type R Love those things.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
prydey
Rob

unless you really WANT a small car, LPG virtually makes them redundant. embrace the latest technology and get best of all worlds. large car, performance, comfort, versatility, towing ability, etc etc. the list is endless.

buy a late model BF2 and put liquid injection on it.

even an E-gas will have more go than a small car and return just as good mileage as far as the $/km is concerned.

my egas cost me around $8/100km round town (ave 35km/h). newer technology injected systems can lower this a little more.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 11:25 AM   #7
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I'd certainly look at the hyundai as they are a great car and very underrated as a package.
I recently bought my fathers 2000 model Accent from him, 102,000k's auto, not new but still drives and feels like a new car, my wife loves it and for 2k when the retail for 7-8K used, who could complain.
We've had a few hyundais and apart from the idle stepper motor on our Sonata they have been great, reliable cars.

My father replaced it with an 04 Focus SR 1.8l with 23k's on it and he wishes he never changed as the Focus, even with such low k's, is not a patch on the Hyundai to drive which i tend to agree with.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A friend of mine picked up a the latest Fiesta Zetec for $19,990 driveaway (no options).

Or you have the latest Fiesta ECOnetic only uses 3.9l/100km. Not sure of the price yet.

FGX XR8, Auto, Black.

WG Fiesta ST Manual, Black.
JutroXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 12:37 PM   #9
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it's economy you're chasing, then you can't really beat diesel in the small cars. If it's $/km, then LPG wins out there, even on the large cars.
We own a 2.0L Diesel Peugeot which gets us about 6L/100kms. I drive the EL Falcon which gives me about 12L/100kms (open road driving mainly). The EL wins out on a $/km basis, but only just.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #10
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
unless you really WANT a small car, LPG virtually makes them redundant. embrace the latest technology and get best of all worlds. large car, performance, comfort, versatility, towing ability, etc etc. the list is endless.

buy a late model BF2 and put liquid injection on it.

even an E-gas will have more go than a small car and return just as good mileage as far as the $/km is concerned.

my egas cost me around $8/100km round town (ave 35km/h). newer technology injected systems can lower this a little more.

Bingo!! plus at least with LPG you get really good parts and servicing costs. I know a owner of a diesel Citroen for one repair had $3,000 in new injectors and associated costs.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #11
dreamerman
Want Trouble Free Ride

Yeah, I really need auto. Manual aren't great in constant stop-go traffic. After a few hours of research on the net, I think a new Hyundai 1.6 auto fits the bill. Its a small car so 1.6 should be able to drive it quite well even in auto plus disc brakes all-around.

BTW, Getz 1.4 only has drum brakes in rear. Hate those drums....
Old 09-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #12
burnz
VFII SS UTE

my wife has a hundi and its a cracker of a small car, 210,000k so far.
just a battery from new. faltless vehicle.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #13
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Why the hell do you care so much about rear disc brakes? Are you racing the bloody thing?

Rear drums on a small car are more than adequate
Old 09-12-2009, 02:59 PM   #14
dreamerman
Want Trouble Free Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
Why the hell
Matter of preference.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #15
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Does the car have to be brand new? If not I strongly recommend getting a slightly used or even a demo. You can save a few thousand, and perhaps get a better equipped car.

As for the Hyundai Getz, I found it a very overrated car. I had one for a fortnight (albeit a rental hack) and found it had to work far too hard on the freeway, and worst of all that the drivers seat was far too uncomfortable for trips longer than 15 minutes (I actually found the seats in my mates '85 Laser Ghia much more comfortable)

What is the reason that you require rear discs? It isn't really necessary for day to day driving, if it were you would find that Ford, Volkswagen, Mazda and Honda would utilize them. I recommend the Fiesta, or at second the Mazda 2, much more superior to the Hyundai.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #16
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I didn't know rear drums where still being used on new(ish) cars. Correct me if I'm wrong but wern't they phased out around 20 years ago? I'd do the falcon egas option. Your sig says "supporting Aussie built fords" so I'd suggest sticking to that. If that isn't your cuppa tea, a fiesta or similar might be a goer. Hyundais are ok cars but do you really want to be making up the numbers?
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #17
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76txcoupe
I didn't know rear drums where still being used on new(ish) cars. Correct me if I'm wrong but wern't they phased out around 20 years ago? I'd do the falcon egas option. Your sig says "supporting Aussie built fords" so I'd suggest sticking to that. If that isn't your cuppa tea, a fiesta or similar might be a goer. Hyundais are ok cars but do you really want to be making up the numbers?
On a light car were brake fade isn't a isssue, rear drums provide the advantage of improved stopping distance (Due to the mechanical advantage inherent in the drum deisgn) and lower cost
Old 09-12-2009, 05:47 PM   #18
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
unless you really WANT a small car, LPG virtually makes them redundant.
This.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #19
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
But if you could do a manual then id be buying a Integra DC2 Type R Love those things.
Not that economical. They do around 4000rpm at 120kmh in 5th gear when cruising (still a bit short of maximum torque). And if you thrash them they are getting down to around 7mpg on a track like Phillip Island. Otherwise they are a nice little jigger even if the quicker versions of current crop of small hotties (e.g. Renault Megane 225 Cup) could tear it a new one in lap times.

If I was in the OP’s shoes I’d be looking at an ex-demo Mazda 2, Honda Jazz or a 2nd hand Fiesta (I think they were doing run out deals on the old base models for around $14k a year ago). When I’ve driven Getz as hire cars they seemed nicely equipped – backlit switches, tweeters and Bluetooth connections, etc but gutless and I didn’t have much faith in it’s handling.

Re: Drum brakes. If you are braking hard enough and often enough in normal road driving that drum brakes are causing trouble then I don’t think that the braking system is your problem
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 06:13 PM   #20
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
You're wrong. Drums can still be found on the rear of new small cars and I don't see the problem with it.

My vote goes to the Auto Mitshubishi Colt. A lass I worked with never had any issues, and she said it was very very light on the juice.

Don't know about what stoppers are on the back, but perhaps with the money left over you can up-specc them if they are drums.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 09:33 PM   #21
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont know why your worrying about rear discs, the rear brakes only do around 15% of your total braking in comparison to the fronts, besides drums are better for hand brakies :

Id take a larger car on Gas over a buzz box any day, 9/10 its cheaper to run due to repair costs (less labour parts cheaper etc) and you have space as well. Also would be nicer on the highway etc
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #22
IH8HSV
XR6T 400kw(well one day!)

You cant beat the Citreon C3Hi.

Its powered by a 1.6-litre Turbo Diesel engine.

The C3 HDi puts out an eye popping 66kw - And will do the 0-100 kmh dash in a respectable 10.8 seconds. :

According to the latest car review it uses 4.4 Lts / 100kms.

You would be able to get an ex demo for under $20000.

It doesnt look to bad either for a little buzz box. And also has 4 doors.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/4056/cit...-in-australia/
Old 09-12-2009, 11:16 PM   #23
pks54
Ford Power To The People

Dose it have to be brand new?

I'll put my hand up for a diesel as well. This time my vote is for the 2005 turbo diesel VW Golf 2.0L TDI. Took care of one for about two months and the economy was just unbelievable. The trip computer of the dash read somewhere in the 5 to 6 liters/100km's and was getting close to 1000 km's to a tank in city driving conditions. Can't remember the size of tank though.

Anyway a 2005 model can be had for about 20K. It has a 6 speed automatic. It has rear disc brakes aswell. To boot it also has alot of power and torque. The quality I dare say would be better than a Hyundai aswell. I personally would not buy one due to it being a hatch. But if you are after a small car with the above criteria albeit a second hand one I would go for one of these.
pks54 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 11:27 PM   #24
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Ok thanks for clearing up the drum brake issue guys . Back on to the point at hand, I can see the OP has his sights set on a hyundai. All I can say is, don't discount this advice: just LOOK at and TEST DRIVE a gas falcon. Thank us later
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 12:27 AM   #25
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
advice: just LOOK at and TEST DRIVE a gas falcon. Thank us later
Spot on
Old 10-12-2009, 12:47 AM   #26
Deco28

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
get a newish (not brand new) Mazda 3 sedan. Probably the least girly looking economical car.
THE SMILE LOL.

Makes me sick xD
Deco28 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 08:37 AM   #27
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I wouldn't be buying brand new as its just a waste of money but if thats your preference then I think youv'e made the right choice with the Hyundai (given your criteria). Then again if used I'd be going for a diesal purely because you want an auto and auto + petrol small car does not go.

I would check out the new Ford econetic or whatever but not sure on the price.

For those touting the egas falcon - 1) Show me where you can buy them for under $19999 new? 2) They are absolutley horrible with any more than 40,000kms on them (ask me how I know). (obviosuly aftermarket conversions are much better).
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 09:06 AM   #28
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Yeah I wouldn't be buying brand new as its just a waste of money but if thats your preference then I think youv'e made the right choice with the Hyundai (given your criteria). Then again if used I'd be going for a diesal purely because you want an auto and auto + petrol small car does not go.

I would check out the new Ford econetic or whatever but not sure on the price.
For those touting the egas falcon - 1) Show me where you can buy them for under $19999 new? 2) They are absolutley horrible with any more than 40,000kms on them (ask me how I know). (obviosuly aftermarket conversions are much better).
Bout 25 grand drive away.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 09:17 AM   #29
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They are absolutley horrible with any more than 40,000kms on them (ask me how I know). (obviosuly aftermarket conversions are much better).
OK, I have to ask. Why?

Quote:
advice: just LOOK at and TEST DRIVE a gas falcon. Thank us later
Only problem could be size. Perhaps they want a small car?
Old 10-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #30
prydey
Rob

Quote:
i paid $16000 for mine (govt auctions) and it was only 16months old. you are right though, it isn't new.

mine has just clocked up 90000km and hasn't missed a beat. 16-17L/100km @ ave 35km/h (urban) and 12-13L/100km @ ave 90km/h (extra urban). not fantastic figures but depending on the price of lpg v petrol/diesel its hard to beat $/km.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post