Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-12-2009, 06:11 PM   #61
Carby

I think Harding is losing the plot! First he's signed off on the over the top styling of E2, and now he expects us to believe that FPV is not a competitor to HSV?

Dealing with high end professional people most would not even consider a HSV or FPV - most wouldn't even know what the initials stand for!!
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #62
HSE2

Harding was only stalling for time to allow them to get the press car "ready" ;)
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #63
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Harding was only stalling for time to allow them to get the press car "ready" ;)
If you look at the HSV option list closely you can order the "press pack".. its a 25Kw upgrade.

Old 14-12-2009, 08:13 PM   #64
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
If you look at the HSV option list closely you can order the "press pack".. its a 25Kw upgrade.

HA
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #65
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Looks like someone just opened a can of worms........ ha ha
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2009, 10:20 PM   #66
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
HA
I don't think he was joking.
Old 15-12-2009, 03:24 PM   #67
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Theres no lag in the F6 engine, I have honestly not bothered buying wheels for years. They always send me deals to subscribe which they could only have got my name through my motor mag subscription when the editor switched over years ago he must have done a dodgey and taken names accross as ive never subscribed to any other mag other than motor.

I would love to know how many kms their test car had done at the time, if it had 98 octane fuel, and what the temp was. There had to be atleast one of those factors not right as 310 will go quicker than that.

I have no doubt Holden/HSV do press specials as my 2nd BA XR6T which is 4 auto and only has a k&N filter and runs on 98 fuel (no tuning or other mods) stays dead level with VE SS Comm's (not the slower cyl de act ones but the 1st VE SS's) which are supposed to run close to the new XR6T F6's.
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #68
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED Classic
Theres no lag in the F6 engine, I have honestly not bothered buying wheels for years. They always send me deals to subscribe which they could only have got my name through my motor mag subscription when the editor switched over years ago he must have done a dodgey and taken names accross as ive never subscribed to any other mag other than motor.
Same company, same office building etc.
Old 15-12-2009, 03:37 PM   #69
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Same company, same office building etc.
Yeah I remember when I used to buy these mags every month (for atleast an eight year period) and you would always notice articles that were amazingly similar to the other.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 04:28 PM   #70
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

I'm not sure its entirely as simple as: FPV are or aren't competitors with HSV. Is it really that black and white, with only those two options? Are there different levels of competition? I.e. performance competitors rather than brand or company competitors...

Holden and Ford have a natural rivalry so by extension Holden Special Vehicles and Ford Performance Vehicles will maintain some or all of that rivalry.

Sure some people might call this childish, but we thrive on a bit of competition and rivalry e.g. AFL, V8SC

For me where it does get childish is where there is lack of respect for the competition.

I dunno i dont think its as black and white as people are making it out to be.

But i can understand Hardings reasons for taking this tack. He needs to be careful though as it does go both ways; people will get a taste for the 'luxury' HSV and may want more so will go to the Euro competitors.
Old 15-12-2009, 07:37 PM   #71
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

AHA!

Now I understand where Harding's coming from; E2 now has led driving lights, so it must be a Euro competitor!

E1? Nope, pure bogan magnet. Add leds, and SHAZAM! instant Euro fighter.
Old 15-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #72
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED Classic
Theres no lag in the F6 engine, .
Hi ED Classic. If you drive a FGXR6T or a G6ET the throttle response is almost immediate and very sharp. This is because it now runs a smaller turbo unit which spools up faster but doesn't have quite the mammoth tuning potenial of the turbo used in the F6.

Now if you hop out of an auto FG XR6T and into a FG F6 you WILL notice some noticable lag. It actually feels slower and less urgent for the first 2000rpm but then all hell brakes loose and you become acutely aware of the difference between the two.

Colville
Old 15-12-2009, 09:03 PM   #73
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

So the FG xr6t do not run the same turbo's as the F6's ?
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 09:05 PM   #74
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
So the FG xr6t do not run the same turbo's as the F6's ?

No, F6 has the same as the B-series but the XR6T's have a smaller one to fix the lag that was complained about in the B-series models.
Old 15-12-2009, 09:10 PM   #75
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Thanks, good to know.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 09:14 PM   #76
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Good article and pretty fair.
The E63 just went to another level, just shows why it and the M5 are the BENCHMARK sports saloons.
Fair comparison? Not for price that's for sure but many here and on the LS1 forums like to think the locals have it over the Euros, some ways they may but many they don't.

My pick out of the locals would be the FPV, I love a turbo engine. I have driven a FG F6 and yes there is some lag but when it comes on boost be prepared.
Old 15-12-2009, 10:07 PM   #77
98AUXR6

I think most people's comments are valid from one point or another. Although some may brand swap MOST I believe would stick to one or the other. I could never buy a HSV even though I have begrudgingly acknowledged SOME HSVs have tickled my fancy. So FPV and HSV probably aren't taking too many buyers from each other.

However, good results in the mags and good cars build brand allegiance. Ford has never recovered from dropping V8s 25 years ago. Holden took on the sporting image and Ford has been trying to catch up for 17 years. If I could afford it, I would buy an F6 tomorrow. But I love reading about my brand beating theirs. Buying an F6 then reading how it is better than the Holden would make me feel all warm inside. I feel all warm inside even not owning one!!!!

Ultimately, Harding wanting his vehicles only tested against luxury cars is a toss. The articles always state how much better the Euros are compared to the Aussies, for obvious reasons.

At the end of the day, the mags do these tests because we love to read about ours verse theirs, hmmm, sounds like a race at Bathurst!
2006 BIONIC XR6 - 6 Speed manual (of course), F6 upper and lower snorkels, 19" Replica GT Rims, lowered SL Front/SSL Rear, iPod AUX attachment, tinted. Hopefully, more to come!!! UPDATE!!! Colour coded engine parts! :

For your photographic needs see

www.alluringlightimages.com.au
98AUXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 10:16 PM   #78
Cabbage
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
You make a good point - I know many such people that can only buy a Euro badge because of how they wish to be percieved. Also works the other way, many people don't want a Euro as they think it will make them look snobby.

Interestingly I have been working in Sydney Western suburbs the last 12 months and noticed huges amounts of Ford/Holden (FPV/HSV's). The last 2 months I have been working in the affluent Eastern Suburbs - don't think I have seen any FPV/HSV's at all. 99% of cars are Audi's, Mercs, BMW's ect. It really is a different world out here.
Thinking about what you said Merlin, I've lived in the Eastern Suburbs for around 10 years or so. In the richer suburbs rarely would you see a HSV or FPV
Cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post