Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
wkd-windza

Default Burnout method for carby car

Ive been told to start burnout in 2nd gear (p/glide) but i find it takes a fair bit of pedal to break traction then it hits the limiter. Its also hard to hold the car still before it starts to spin. Ive been goin from 1st to second for years no probs. Car weighs 3000lbs and has 850 d/pumper and 31 1/4 x 12.5 x 15 slicks. My limiter is not a burnout limiter its an over rev limiter set at 7200.

What are other racers with heavy carb cars doin, ive noticed a lot of super sedans going from 1st to second? Is it carby vs load thing??

Cheers

Old 10-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
dsyfer

Do you use a "line locker" on the breaks?
dsyfer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
wkd-windza

no line locker and no burnout limiter
Old 10-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If its a powerglide you MUST start in 1st, then go into second if it has the power. You will burn out clutches pretty quick starting in 2nd in an auto.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 11:35 PM   #5
noukid

how bout for a rwd carby car with a manual and no line locker? any tips for a static burnout?
noukid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

second gear, 4,000rpm dump clutch then quickly onto the brake pedal, but not too hard on the brake or you will stall it. It is a fine balance between throttle (not flat to the floor), brake (not stopping wheel spin, but not allowing it to roll forward) and steering to make sure you do not go too sideways - which will require you to roll forward a bit.
It takes a lot more control and practice in a manual. A line-locker and locked diff makes it so much easier - no roll forward and no sideways slewing.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 11-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #7
Tomo boss 260
COPB8

i have an auto burnout rig which used to be manual, and i changed it for that reason, i was sick of sitting sideways in the seat putting my right foot on both the brake and accelerator.

i agree with GTP owner either remove the rear brakes if its dedicated burnout car or get a linelocker, and not much point if u do not have a locked diff or tight lsd.

also a low ratio diff will help u grab second easier
BF MkII XR8 Stainless manta catback exhaust with pacemaker 1 7/8 extrcators and highflow cats, Big Mouth CAI, CAPA custom flash dyno tuned, helix spacer, K&N high flow panel filter, running kingspring sl fronts and ssl rears 265rwkw 358rwhp So Far...

They say less talk more action, I say more torque less traction!
Tomo boss 260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 10:35 PM   #8
northey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkd-windza
Ive been told to start burnout in 2nd gear (p/glide) but i find it takes a fair bit of pedal to break traction then it hits the limiter. Its also hard to hold the car still before it starts to spin. Ive been goin from 1st to second for years no probs. Car weighs 3000lbs and has 850 d/pumper and 31 1/4 x 12.5 x 15 slicks. My limiter is not a burnout limiter its an over rev limiter set at 7200.

What are other racers with heavy carb cars doin, ive noticed a lot of super sedans going from 1st to second? Is it carby vs load thing??

Cheers
I used to do that in a lightweight car (top gear start) and it was easy.
But I suggest that if it's not working in yours go back to your way.

Get wheels spinning in low in water then at around 3500 - 4000 change to top gear. It's probably what you were doing before anyway.

Change up as soon as the engine wants to shift up.
northey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #9
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Pardon my ignorance, but what does a carby have to do with it?

Won't any powerful car, regardless of induction, turn the tires?

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 01:55 AM   #10
GTP370
2005 BA II GTP

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Excellent breakdown of costs associated with importing a pre-89 car from the U.S.  Very helpful to others and at least two other guys will use the provided info to make their dreams reality.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex

Hi Tex,

When my BA II GTP was PD super charged making 440kw at the rears, with 4.11 diff gears, 6 speed manual, MT streets is was hopeless getting decent heat into the tyres, hence the crap times and 60 footers.

We checked the tune and altered the torque tags but no improvement. The car was making a bucket load of torque!

My friend who has a wealth of experience steering manual applications also could not overcome the issue?????

Cheers, Paul.
GTP370 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #11
jcxr
Tribal Elder

You can make a "hockey stick" type hand operated brake lever like the old dragsters used to use, Had one on my old manual drag car. Or just install a line locker.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #12
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex

Yes it will, as long as the driver knows what he's doing.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 08:56 AM   #13
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex

Maybe Tex. If you have a tunnel ram and twin big carbies and big cam it will have a huge load of grunt up in the rev range, but nothing down low. In that case you can get into trouble if you don't have enough revs on board- the car will bog down. An auto being stressed at low rpm in a high gear (ie second in the powerglide) will result in stuffed clutches. Much the same as riding the clutch in a manual to take off in third gear. So you need to start in 1st, then into 2nd to make sure the converter is locked up and you do not bog down.

If you have efi, then it is much less likely to bog down and backfire through the inlet system. There will be more grunt available at lower revs. But ultimately, it is the revs and the power produced at those revs, and the gearing that dictates whether it will bog down.

So a 1000hp NA monster with 2.9 diff gears, 2,000rpm stall and a 3 speed auto will bog if you try to take off in third, then backfire through the carbies and likely damage something. Efi would reduce, but not eliminate this problem.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 15-02-2010, 09:24 AM   #14
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Thanks Jas, makes complete sense.

How many weeks months off from your beast turing a tire in anger?

When do us Tassie lads get a 'private' viewing at your place? A couple of beers and maybe demonstration ? hahahahaahahah.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 15-02-2010, 12:14 PM   #15
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Thanks Jas, makes complete sense.

How many weeks months off from your beast turing a tire in anger?

When do us Tassie lads get a 'private' viewing at your place? A couple of beers and maybe demonstration ? hahahahaahahah.
High fill today, colour on by friday for a check for any problems, and hopefully final painting next week.
I think i may be able to get it together for tassienats - 1 month away. I need to do a private track test beforehand. I will keep everyone updated with the build thread. I am too scared to test it on the drive, but a few beers when done sounds good. Ian will be in that too.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 15-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #16
tex
Broken

1200hp unleashed on your driveway would be a grand way to spend a sunny arvo with a refreshment in hand.

cheers

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 16-02-2010, 12:56 AM   #17
Tomo boss 260
COPB8

i agree with tex, can't go wrong with a refreshment
BF MkII XR8 Stainless manta catback exhaust with pacemaker 1 7/8 extrcators and highflow cats, Big Mouth CAI, CAPA custom flash dyno tuned, helix spacer, K&N high flow panel filter, running kingspring sl fronts and ssl rears 265rwkw 358rwhp So Far...

They say less talk more action, I say more torque less traction!
Tomo boss 260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post