Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-02-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
Matty4
Banana

Default Dilemma.....need opinions

We are heading off late June for 3 months to travel from Melbourne to Darwin and around the west coast to Perth and then back across the Nullabor. We will be towing a caravan that comes in at tare of 1867kg and an ATM of 2267kg.

My dilemma comes in the decision of tow vehicle.
We currently have an ’08 TTG that tows it really well, but uses around 22lt/100k, giving us an effective touring range of approx. 350k’s.
I have seriously considered buying something 4WD turbo diesel secondhand that can give a far greater touring range and will also allow us to head into places the Terri just couldn’t.
Anyway, today I took an ’03 Pajero Exceed DI-D for a test drive and even managed to tow the van for about 20 minutes with it to test its’ towing ability. It towed it like it wasn’t really there!! This car would also effectively double our touring range, having a 90lt tank (also considering a sub-tank for it too)

The idea would be to purchase the Pajero, set it up for the trip and then sell it once we get back, as we don’t really need 2 big cars. As the Terri is also on a lease this will save me plenty of money by not using it for 3 months also.
The Pajero is 90% set up for touring, just a couple of things I will need to add to it before we go.
Question. Aside from the cost perspective,(savings in running costs etc.) does this sound like a feasible idea?

All thoughts/opinions appreciated
Cheers,
Matty

Old 24-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Sounds like its the way to go. Keep the pride & joy in the shed,pristine, & have a workhorse for the trip. Only one question. What if it takes months to sell??
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I think you have typed enough pros to decide! If you can afford it, I would. Even if you have to sell it for a little bit less when you get back.

Bought a camper trailer a while back ..... bought it brand new for $4,500. Used it for 18 months or so touring around ... then sold it for $4,800. All worked out brilliantly

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
FPV70

Yeah not too bad a choice. I personally am a fan of the Patrol or the Landcrusier 2nd.

The Patrol is a little more of a dinosaur in the fact of the Live Axle front end which will perform better in some off road conditions however, the IFS Setup in the Pajero will be aolt nicer to drive.

the 4cyl Pajero will serve you well and should be a rugged enough car to take you where you want to go where ground clearance won't be too much of an issue.

Also, I am not sure of the Pajero tow rating (probably 3000 Kg) but the Patrol (3.0 4cyl Manual) is rated at 3000 Kg towing capacity and should achieve decent fuel efficency and supposedly, there are more parts for the Patrol is remote places.

I have a GQ Patrol and while I can find alot of mechanical parts (which is probably what they mean) I find it difficult to find "some" not all body parts.

After-market parts for the Patrol are as easy to get as anything else out there and also suspension parts are also easyer to replace as to IFS vehicles.
Patrols also have a 90 Ltr fuel tank and a 30 Ltr sub tank with all you need then is a underbody water tank.

I hope I am not suggesting my choice of vehicle onto you but it will give you some food for thought as to which vehicle might suit you and your planned trip.

Good luck
Old 24-02-2010, 11:37 PM   #5
sprint347dave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sell the van and buy a tent
sprint347dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 11:41 PM   #6
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Put the Terry on LPG, then pull it off and sell it once you get back? That will effectively double your towing range also.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2010, 12:57 AM   #7
G6LTD09
FG G6 Limited Ed

We've owned two Pajeros prior and have no complaints about their towing abilities or reliability. We did a fair bit of touring whilst in central Aust and done the NT,QLD, WA, SA thing. These days with the amount of fuel stations littered across the place a subtank would be unecessary (except for a headwind over the Barkly Hwy and ignorance lol), if nervous carry a pair of jerrycans. We avg between 14-18lt/100km towing roughly 1800kg in manual gboxes.

Not much setup was needed except for decent tyres and polyairs in the rear. Offroad was enjoyable with the earlier model NP, but the NS late model kinda liked the tar more.

Remote places and breakdowns you're stuffed for parts most days and will have to wait. But I reckon if you leave with a good vehicle 99% of the time you'll come back with one. Aftermarket acc are toyota's domain, but if you look hard enough you'll find Pajero stuff.

All in all, just get out there an do it. Found the only real dramas we had were off-road punctures and they are easily managed.
G6LTD09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #8
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Put the Terry on LPG, then pull it off and sell it once you get back? That will effectively double your towing range also.
not on this planet! lpg tanks for the terri are smaller than the petrol tank, and even the newer injected systems are still less economical than petrol. if its doing 22L/100km on petrol, lpg will be between 26-30L/100km i'd say. might extend the range by 1-200km.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #9
Matty4
Banana

Just to throw a spanner in the works...hehe
I "may" also have a lead on the same vehicle but in 3.8V6 petrol guise, although kitted up with aux fuel tank, UHF, ARB bullbar etc etc.
It may well be cheaper than the diesel one too!!

Decisions, decisions....
Old 25-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #10
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Be warned, the 3.8lt V6's love a drink.........We have a 2005 Exceed 3.2lt Auto, brilliant for towing, Brilliant car..........
Old 25-02-2010, 10:24 AM   #11
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
Be warned, the 3.8lt V6's love a drink.........We have a 2005 Exceed 3.2lt Auto, brilliant for towing, Brilliant car..........
Can I ask what you tow (weights etc) and what sort of fuel consumption you are getting.

Cheers,
Matty
Old 25-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #12
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Camping trailer and motorbike trailer, fully loaded with 3 bikes and heaps of gear. With no trailer we normally get around 900ks to a tank. With a fully loaded trailer, comes down to about 800ks per tank
Old 25-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #13
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Sounds like a good idea to me, but if you want to tackle some more serious off road tracks maybe a Landcruiser or a Patrol would be a better idea, just depends on how far off the beaten track you want to go
Old 25-02-2010, 07:30 PM   #14
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4
Just to throw a spanner in the works...hehe
I "may" also have a lead on the same vehicle but in 3.8V6 petrol guise, although kitted up with aux fuel tank, UHF, ARB bullbar etc etc.
It may well be cheaper than the diesel one too!!

Decisions, decisions....
Well, it looks like the deal has been done. Thanks to all who posted
The V6 one I mentioned is actually my father-in-laws and today he agreed to let us buy it from him for whatever he could get as a trade-in figure for it. He will start looking in the next couple of weeks.

It already has the ARB bullbar with IPF driving lights, 60lt aux fuel tank, UHF, roof mounted DVD, satnav, towbar etc etc. I won't have to spend a great deal to add a few small things to make it fully compliant with my van and my requirements. Although the fuel costs will be greater, the saving on the purchase price will balance into my favour.

With 150lt on board and true 4WD capability, it will get us into places the Terri just couldn't.

Looking forward to this trip :

Matty
Old 25-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #15
PANELCORP

Great cost effective choice

The DI-D is a great motor and when matched with the 5 speed auto, delivers a brilliant towing & touring vehicle

I worked for Mitsubishi for several years and could never understand why the Prado outsold the Pajero when it was a inferior vehicle (value for money and engine performance)

Enjoy the trip, Enjoy the Pajero and return to familiar Ford Territory when you return (yes bad pun I know)
PANELCORP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 08:30 AM   #16
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANELCORP
Great cost effective choice

The DI-D is a great motor and when matched with the 5 speed auto, delivers a brilliant towing & touring vehicle

I worked for Mitsubishi for several years and could never understand why the Prado outsold the Pajero when it was a inferior vehicle (value for money and engine performance)

Enjoy the trip, Enjoy the Pajero and return to familiar Ford Territory when you return (yes bad pun I know)
My thoughts exactly re Prado V Pajero. Yes, have a great trip, ya lucky bugger..............