Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-04-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
Skotty
Banned

Default Towing interstate

Hey guys...

So I'm getting a DA LTD, and its in melb... thinking of heading over and towing it back hind me mates '01 AUII Forte...

What sort of fuel consumption could I expect with it towing a DA LTD on the highway adel - melb?..

Skotty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

can you not drive it back?

you'd want to be careful. a da ltd isn't going to be the lightest thing, it will probably weigh as much as the au, plus the car trailer. you would be very close to if not over the towing limit of the au, being 2300kg for an auto with a heavy duty tow pack. i have a feeling the standard tow pack was only rated at 1600kg for autos and 1200kg for manuals. if he only has the standard one you have no hope really... that's why people usually truck it or use a patrol, landcruiser, etc to tow cars.

now, none of that is to say it can't be done, you just need to check with the appropriate licensing authorities to make sure.

as for fuel consumption, it may be fairly high depending on how much you get up it. if you just cruise along at a comfortable pace it shouldn't be too bad.

good luck whatever you decide to do
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2010, 11:59 PM   #3
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

if the LTD has a tow bar tow the AU back with that.... the V8 will pull alot better too...

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 12:09 AM   #4
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh

you'd want to be careful. a da ltd isn't going to be the lightest thing, it will probably weigh as much as the au, plus the car trailer. you would be very close to if not over the towing limit of the au, being 2300kg for an auto with a heavy duty tow pack. i have a feeling the standard tow pack was only rated at 1600kg for autos and 1200kg for manuals. if he only has the standard one you have no hope really... that's why people usually truck it or use a patrol, landcruiser, etc to tow cars.

now, none of that is to say it can't be done, you just need to check with the appropriate licensing authorities to make sure.

as for fuel consumption, it may be fairly high depending on how much you get up it. if you just cruise along at a comfortable pace it shouldn't be too bad.

Thats exactly what I told him! .. Their AU has the weak tow pack on it not the heavy duty. So I advised agaisnt it.
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 07:35 AM   #5
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^well, now you can go and slap him, lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR1STO
if the LTD has a tow bar tow the AU back with that.... the V8 will pull alot better too...
good idea, except da (ea equiv) only ever had i6 motors...

Last edited by bodes-sh; 07-04-2010 at 07:40 AM.
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 07:58 AM   #6
cob115
COUPE WHORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3RSAC3
Thats exactly what I told him! .. Their AU has the weak tow pack on it not the heavy duty. So I advised agaisnt it.
good advice ,dont tow it its to much for the tow car ,you can get away with towing some thing like that around the corner up the street etc but on the freeway hell no !!!

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
cob115 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 08:41 AM   #7
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I regularly tow a Formula Ford in an enclosed trailer with tools and spares with my AU ute from Sydney - Phillip Island, and get about 10-12 mpg.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 08:42 AM   #8
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The law for towing in Victoria is one and half times the weight of the tow vehicle, so that means if the tow vehicle was 1500kg, then you can tow 2250kg, including the load and trailer.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:58 AM   #9
BuckTooth
Feel the boost

Hey Skotty, due to Vicroads UVP regulations for the measly $50 it would cost to get a permit. Ya much better off just getting a permit and using the AU as a support vehicle ie with ya tool box on board or just in case. Atleast this way you get a good feel for how the car runs and how it'll go in the long run.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #10
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Don't do it
and if you do
expect 20L/100klms+
Old 07-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #11
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawke
I regularly tow a Formula Ford in an enclosed trailer with tools and spares with my AU ute from Sydney - Phillip Island, and get about 10-12 mpg.
+1

If you have the right gear, the AU will be able to handle the job. Just make sure you have the heavy duty tow pack fitted. Take it easy, and you'll be fine.
saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #12
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

DA 2 LTD (4spd Auto) is 1600kg, a good braked trailer will be up around the 800kg mark. puts towing load at 2400kg, or more than any Falcon can legally handle.
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #13
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Quote:
^^well, now you can go and slap him, lol

good idea, except da (ea equiv) only ever had i6 motors...

sorry mate... didn't read it right...
thought it said DU...
oops!

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #14
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Shouldn't be a problem. I brought this back from Manly (Nth of Syd) to Wagga along the Hume. One you get over Mt Lofty it's nearly all flat.

From memory fuel consumption was about 18-20 litres per km but that was on Gas.

Oh, the little Red German taxi weighs 1400kg and it didn't bother the Barge a bit.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

towing a heavy trailer or high van expect double the fuel consumption.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #16
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If he does decide to tow it, against good advice.. I hope he's got a good tranny cooler fitted, or that baby is going to buurn..

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #17
azza11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I towed with my lowerd Au wagon, big heavy car trailer and capri drag car, felt like the trailer was pushing the AU, lucky i on did 25 k's all up.

AZZA