Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Fords Expands ECOnetic Range

Ford Australia will expand its successful ECOnetic range from July with the launch of a new Transit ECOnetic Van.

The new Transit ECOnetic Van will introduce ultra-low fuel efficiency and CO2 emissions to the commercial van market. It will deliver 7.2 L/100km fuel economy and produce just 189 g/km of CO2 emissions, which places it at the forefront of the full-size van market in Australia for fuel economy and the leader for CO2 emissions.

Available as a short-wheelbase (SWB) only, the Transit ECOnetic Van will feature a 2.2-litre Duratorq diesel engine, combined with a standard six-speed manual transmission. The fuel efficiency improvements are achieved without any degradation in power and torque from the standard model, with engine outputs of 85 kW at 3500 rpm and 300 Nm from 1800-2000 rpm.

It also continues to offer outstanding cargo capacity of 6.55m3 and a payload of 1172 kg.

"We have been looking for opportunities to extend our ECOnetic range of vehicles since we introduced the Fiesta ECOnetic in late 2009," said Ford Australia Marketing, Sales & Service Vice President Beth Donovan.

"Offering low fuel economy and emissions to commercial van customers, through a range of ECOnetic technologies, was the logical next step to build upon the extremely successful launch of the Fiesta ECOnetic."

The Transit ECOnetic Van is the result of the same smart thinking that delivers Australia's most fuel-efficient vehicle, the Fiesta ECOnetic, including:

• Low rolling resistance tyres (215/75 R16C)
  • Aerodynamic wheel covers
  • Low friction oil
  • A recalibrated 2.2L Duratorq TDCi engine
  • Green shift indicator
It will also feature 16-inch steel wheels, unique ECOnetic badging on the right rear door and be speed limited to 110 km/h.

"We expect that the Transit ECOnetic will appeal to customers who prioritise low fuel costs while reducing their impact on the environment," said Donovan.

"It is a true no compromise alternative for business owners as it has better fuel economy and lower emissions than the leading vans on offer today."

The Transit ECOnetic Van will have a Manufacturer's List Price of $36,490* when it goes on sale in July.

Six million Transit milestone and 45th anniversary

Right from its launch in 1965, the Ford Transit has been a true global success story and is now available to customers in more than 85 markets on five continents.

It is one of the most successful commercial vehicles in automotive history and has just celebrated a significant six-millionth production milestone in ceremonies at the Transit assembly plants in Southampton (UK), Kocaeli (Turkey), Nanchang (China) and Hai Duong (Vietnam). The six-millionth Transit vehicle was produced at Kocaeli plant in Turkey on April 30.

Transit is also heading for its 45th anniversary in August this year, which will be another impressive milestone in an extensive history that includes many records, not least that it is Ford of Europe's longest serving vehicle brand.

In its 45 years Transit has gone through an unparalleled metamorphosis, from an affordable, durable and practical, yet rather spartan workhorse into one of the most versatile, consumer-focused and sophisticated commercial vehicle ranges in European automotive history. But it has also been consistent in pushing the boundaries of vehicle technology in the light and medium van segments to new levels.

Source: Ford Media

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw

Green shift indicator
speed limited to 110 km/h.

Ooohh thats tricky, as I think from memory the fuel economy tests involve a 120kmh stint, if you limit the van to 110 - bingo - better stated fuel consumption label.

Also the fuel economy tests will test the fuel economy at exactly the point of a green shift indicator (pointless in real world driving conditions) - not the usual optimum rev/torque shift changes - so bingo again better stated fuel economy.

You can sneakily get a very good ADR fuel economy figure by introducing the above tactics without actually changing the vehicle's efficency.

I stand to be corrected if my vague memory on how it works is incorrect.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 08:17 AM   #3
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Speed limited to 110km/h? Won't be used out on the highway then due to not being able to overtake. That's probably going to affect any rural sales.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
glavas

speed limited to 110 km/h???? why????? they carnt go to darwin i guess
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Speed limited to 110km/h? Won't be used out on the highway then due to not being able to overtake. That's probably going to affect any rural sales.
Wont worry most operators who run trucks etc aswell that are speed limited to 100 kms an hour..
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Lucky for them the speed limit is 110 here only on freeways. I doubt you'd really see a van overtaking anywhere else anyway.

I reckon this thing will be pretty popular with the white van man brigade.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Not going to be picked as Ambulance either (but im sure other Transit variants would be picked). A modern Euro diesel van should be able to sit on 150kmh all day.

State government fleets might like the idea of buying a vehicle which is speed limited.

In the coming years, when more and more cars are speed limited to the highway limit, we can thank Ford Australia for leading the way....
Old 03-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #8
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

110 km/h would be frustrating, as most people sit 5 km/h or so above...
Oh well it would make sense for fleets.
I dearly hope there is ECOnetic Falcon and Territory in the pipeline, especially the latter from launch- if we're making the diesel engine blocks, a super economy variant would capture sales from smaller diesels. I hope theres prestige Titanium models too, are they going to be released?
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 03:17 PM   #9
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Lucky for them the speed limit is 110 here only on freeways. I doubt you'd really see a van overtaking anywhere else anyway.
Try a single lane road each way with a limit of 110km/h. Driving the transit limited to 110km/h, you come across a car sitting on 100km/h, or even say 90km/h. What do you do to over take? I know I don't really want to spend too much time on the wrong side of the road, hence when overtaking, I will generally do more than 110km/h even though the limit is only that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
I reckon this thing will be pretty popular with the white van man brigade.
Agreed. No need for a car to do 110km/h when it's confined to the city.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:36 PM   #10
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So is there any reason for the Econetic Transit to be limited to 110kmh, rather than purely to get a good ADR number?

What, are Ford engineering by press release nowadays?
Old 03-06-2010, 03:49 PM   #11
prydey
Rob

Quote:
heavy vehicles are limited to 100km/h and they manage!!
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #12
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
heavy vehicles are limited to 100km/h and they manage!!
I understand what your getting at, but I still hate this kind of rubbish from Ford if there is no mechanical reason to do it. I realise this is the 'econectic' but if its to only get a good number on the sticker it really questions the credibility of Ford and the Econectic brand. Who knows, there may be a physical reason why its done and im making a big deal over nothing.

Most vehicles have optimistic speed readings anyway, so in reality it will probably be limited to 103 to 105kmh.

Wasnt there talk of a NSW highway being increased to 120 or 130kmh over the next few years?
Old 03-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #13
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I understand what your getting at, but I still hate this kind of rubbish from Ford if there is no mechanical reason to do it. I realise this is the 'econectic' but if its to only get a good number on the sticker it really questions the credibility of Ford and the Econectic brand. Who knows, there may be a physical reason why its done and im making a big deal over nothing.

Most vehicles have optimistic speed readings anyway, so in reality it will probably be limited to 103 to 105kmh.

Wasnt there talk of a NSW highway being increased to 120 or 130kmh over the next few years?

it may be a marketing ploy. i'm sure some fleet buyers will like the fact their drivers will be limited to 110.

as for nsw highways, the newell has just been cut back to 100 from 110.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 05:36 PM   #14
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Not going to be picked as Ambulance either (but im sure other Transit variants would be picked). A modern Euro diesel van should be able to sit on 150kmh all day.

State government fleets might like the idea of buying a vehicle which is speed limited.

In the coming years, when more and more cars are speed limited to the highway limit, we can thank Ford Australia for leading the way....

Not even in the running for ambulance service. Most services in australia (if not all) use Mercedes Sprinter. QLD ambulance used to use transit for patient transfer services but they were trouble, especially with the crap semi auto gear box that takes forever to select a gear and accelerate when you put the foot down. We have now changed to the mercedes sprinter for this as well.

The ford transit is not suitable for ambulance service, not enough power, not enough brakes, harsh ride and poor handling when compared with the new sprinter.

I have heard that the Fiat and a few others were considered for the new QLD ambulance vehicles but sprinter won the contract again (they are great vehicles and this new one is the best we have had).
Old 03-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #15
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Not even in the running for ambulance service. Most services in australia (if not all) use Mercedes Sprinter. QLD ambulance used to use transit for patient transfer services but they were trouble, especially with the crap semi auto gear box that takes forever to select a gear and accelerate when you put the foot down. We have now changed to the mercedes sprinter for this as well.

The ford transit is not suitable for ambulance service, not enough power, not enough brakes, harsh ride and poor handling when compared with the new sprinter.

I have heard that the Fiat and a few others were considered for the new QLD ambulance vehicles but sprinter won the contract again (they are great vehicles and this new one is the best we have had).
What kind of economy do you get, and how many kms on them when they get retired?

I bet they have the latest and greatest in safety gear, which is important for the kind of work an Ambulance does.

They look like a good unit, even Aussie Post uses them now.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:20 PM   #16
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV
110 km/h would be frustrating, as most people sit 5 km/h or so above...
Oh well it would make sense for fleets.
I dearly hope there is ECOnetic Falcon and Territory in the pipeline, especially the latter from launch- if we're making the diesel engine blocks, a super economy variant would capture sales from smaller diesels. I hope theres prestige Titanium models too, are they going to be released?
Diesel engine blocks are not being made here, just brake rotors. That was a poorly worded press release that some people misunderstood.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post