Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-06-2010, 09:19 AM   #31
dave289
Banned

The ef falcon has a better drive train than the ve. Why do think they are so cheap? you would be disapointed with the ve after the ba. A BA WITH 200,000 ON THE CLOCK IS A MUCH BETTER DRIVE THAN THE VE 6 CYLINDER WHEN BRAND NEW. I HAVE DRIVEN BOTH OMEGA AND CALAIS WHEN BRAND NEW .THE ENGINE AND GEARBOX IS A MAJOR STEP BACKWARDS ON THE BA.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THIS. If you want a more modern looking car then go the ve, but you will have a less reliable car ,a motor that is a step backwards from where you are and a gearbox that it also a major step backwards over your current ride. You will also have a car that is not put together as well as the one you have now. you will notice this from day one ,while sitting in the drivers seat.when I last sat in my mates ve calais the fuel consumption average read 17. something per 100 kms. my v8 monaro is similiar to this around town. so dont plan on saving any money on fuel.

for the money I would buy the bf ghia and put and xr front end on it . you will then still have some money left for a trip to fiji and have a much better car.good luck.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #32
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSVPom
Omega V was an Omega with alloys, met paint, spoiler and a 'V' badge on the boot. It was a special run in 2006-07 only.

Cheers.
Sort of like calais is to calais-v?
I suppose in the Omega world it would translate to;
Pile of poo, even bigger pile of poo.

What's worse is it would have come with that god awful ecotec/alloytec - an engine so loud that even the hearing impaired can hear it. The only thing that engine has been good in is the ocean attached to a chain with a boat on the other end. As an anchor, it does well, although it corrodes and dissolves faster than sugar in hot coffee.

What's worse is the VE is such a stylistically challenged bucket with big wheel arches, flares, big chunky A pillars etc; that holden flew out notorious automotive designer Christopher Edward Bangle to apraise their "billion dollar baby". He's the guy responsible for the new direction BMW have taken, as well as the mini and the latest versions of the Rolls Royce.
Anyway, Christopher slowly looked at the front, side and back of the VE commodore and drank in its curves. All the while he was heard to mutter; "tsk, tsk" whilst shaking his head. When he got to the last side he blurted out; "Oh god they've done it to this side as well"

History doesn't record Christophers other reactions, but I like to think he looked at Denny Mooney and laughingly said; "quit your day job, jerk".

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #33
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351capri
man i cant begin to comprehend someone willing to spend $6k to go backwards. hold onto your 6k until you come accross a deal on a newer falcon!
There was a reason GMHolden spent 1 Billion on the VE. To get Commodore up to scratch against the BA-BF Falcon.

To the OP. IMO You are wasting $6k to go sideways at best. Buy a BF, they are a MUCH better drive and don't have the electrical gremlins that plague the VE.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2010, 07:17 PM   #34
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Falcon
Thank you all for the abundance of responses guys!

You have all definitely persuaded me to stick with the BA for at least another couple of years. It's hard to say, but going forward, an FG is probably what I'll end up getting. The cheapest I can get right now for an FG XT with fairly high kms is ~ $20k.

Thanks again guys!
You've made the right decision!

Retrotech thread
Old 11-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #35
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

They are both good cars

The VE is a much better drive than the BA you notice this the first corner you come to power wise the alloytec lost a bit of lowend power over the ecotec and the BA will beat it off the mark but a little bit of tuning can change all that in my opinion the finishes are a bit better on the commodore.

money wise the VE has lost most of its value and in 2 or 3 years you will still probably get 8-11K for it resale will be better on a higher model

End of the day it comes down to personal choice they are both overall good cars but i can tell you i chose a VY2 SS over a BA XR6 about 4 years ago and did not regret it

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #36
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsta
The VE is a much better drive than the BA
On what planet?

Oh and we are talking about an Omega. Cheapest of the cheapest. The red dot of the retail world.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #37
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsta
End of the day it comes down to personal choice they are both overall good cars but i can tell you i chose a VY2 SS over a BA XR6 about 4 years ago and did not regret it
Well, that is your choice. But a fairer comparison is XR6T. They XR6Turbos are a cult car for a reason!

Anyway, the OP has made the right decision, he is sticking with the BA & will update to FG in 2yrs time.

Retrotech thread
Old 11-06-2010, 10:00 PM   #38
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
There was a reason GMHolden spent 1 Billion on the VE.
Because it was the first time they actually designed their own Commodore instead of just taking designs from Opel.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2010, 10:14 PM   #39
Pat Riley
U MAD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Because it was the first time they actually designed their own Commodore instead of just taking designs from Opel.
I don't know about desiging their own Commdore. Looks like they really liked / used what Audi came up with!

But maybe that wasn't such a bad idea because Audi styling = win.

But....it sounds like they forgot to take the engine out of a Honda and the gearbox out of car from this millenium. Maybe they were smart. Maybe they knew that 90% of the population have NFI about cars and gearboxes, but merely like something if it "looks nice".

Sounds reminiscent of the uninformed Magna owner at my work who said that he thought an "XR6 was like a totally different car to my BA Falcon", and that he "didn't know an XR6 was a Falcon", and that an XR6 would "definitely have a lot more power than a Falcon and a much better gearbox too". When I told him that an XR6 (albeit a very good car) is essentially a colour-coded XT with a bodykit, rims and sports seats, he thought I was joking!

C - Zydrunas Ilgauskas
PF - Chris Bosh
SF - Lebron James
SF - Dwyane Wade
PG - Mario Chalmers

C - Erick Dampier
PF - Udonis Haslem
SF - James Jones
SG - Mike Miller
PG - Carlos Arroyo

C - Joel Anthony
C - Dexter Pittman
C - Jamaal Magloire
PF - Juwan Howard
SG - Eddie House

Last edited by BA Falcon; 11-06-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Pat Riley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2010, 11:46 PM   #40
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
P.S. Yes - the car I would be getting would be an Omega V
Buy it and offload it for $3k more, cos that's what it's worth.

And you're right about your magna mate - you'd think that for the second biggest asset someone's gonna buy they'd have a little more knowledge about em aye
Old 11-06-2010, 11:52 PM   #41
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
U will get a BFII Futura for 13 kay, better value!!
with a bit higher km than usual you can get a bf2 futura for 11,900 before bargaining
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2010, 12:59 AM   #42
Pat Riley
U MAD?

Just to shed some light on my thread from 6 months ago:

I went to the auctions this last week and saw a VE Omega sell for $9k with 90,000 kms. My BA XT I could sell for around $6.5k privately which would only be $2.5k changeover rather than the $6k it would have been 6 months ago.

Notwithstanding the above, I have had a look at at least a dozen VE's, both Omega's and Berlinas etc recently - I'm sorry but they all sucked. The seats were ALL dirty and worn. Plastics falling or broken throughout. And that doesn't include the clunky 4 speed autos and engine that sounded like a miniature lawn mower! I'm kicking myself for even contemplating getting one of these - thanks to the boys at AFF for convincing me otherwise!

The good news? - All the FG Falcons I looked at were in much better condition and didn't look like they were falling apart. I will likely wait another 12 months and pick up a FG XT or G6 depending once they are $11k - $14k.

Last edited by BA Falcon; 14-12-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Pat Riley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2010, 02:00 AM   #43
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Excellent news that you won't be getting a commodore over the BA. As you've said, hang onto the BA until you can get a 6spd FG XT or G6.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post