Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-12-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
Boosted2

Default Which way to go ? Fairmont or Fairlane ?

Im just after some opinions on which way i should go.

Im looking at getting either a 1994 to 1998 Fairmont or Fairlane as my next car, i like the looks of both but not shore which to go with. Either will probably have around the 220ks mark.

Anything i should be looking for in particular with either car ?

Just after something bigger and more comfort for me and the kids.

Any help appreciated.

Regards Gavin.

Boosted2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Fairlane definitely has more rear leg room, so if the kids are teens I'd consider that.

Apart from the extra rear leg room in the 'lane they are pretty much the same car as the Falcon/Fairmont.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are almost the same car, but if it was me, I'd probably go the Fairmont. Lighter but has the same drivetrain so it'd be faster and better on fuel. And the self-levelling suspension in the Fairlane can be expensive to repair if it develops problems. The Fairlane though, is obviously gonna have more interior room and bootspace, is quieter and has a smoother ride than the Fairmont.
Old 19-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
Boosted2

Sweet, 2 of my kids are just coming into teens the other is only5 months old.

The suspension in the lane could be the deal breaker.
Old 19-12-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
Boosted2

Just another thought, is there away around the suspension though, as i will be lowering it on 19s or 20s. Can that be done on the lane with the self leveling suspension ?
Old 19-12-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

If comfort and room are key determiners, and looks arent an issue, then the Fairlane is the way to go. Features are identical to a Fairmont Ghia. Difference in fuel consumption is negligible, Self levelling suspension was only found on NA-NC models (easily rectified by replacing it with a standard setup).
And whilst this maybe pure speculation, in my experience ive found Fairlanes to be more likely to have been looked after. An LTD would be even better and can be picked up for around the same price.

In terms of cost of maitenence, an I6 fitted model would be better. Some wont have their original engine due to poor maitenence (head & coolant), which are best avoided. Aside from that & lack of general care & servicing, theyre sturdy and reliable. Unless it can be proven its been done recently, get the Auto trans serviced.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Either or, doesn't matter too much. The V8s are quite good on fuel considering, even better on LPG but you lose a bit of boot space.
The self leveling suspension is easy enough to get around, just disconnect the arm the it uses, and tie it up securely so the computer thinks all is good.
Then it's just a matter of changing the original shocks for some gas ones, we did this to my cousin's LTD when it kept giving us alarms.
I have an ED 5L Ghia, and it gets around 10 to the 100 so I'm happy with that.

Ed
Old 19-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #8
SLO247
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread. I have had a few EF/Ls, and I currently have an NF 5.0 that I bought stock and modified.

-Self Leveling Suspension WAS fitted to NA-NL Fairlanes.

-It is NOT expensive to fix. You simply fit normal springs and shocks in the rear. Will improve the handling instantly. The alarms are taken care of by pulling the circuit breaker AFAIK.

-There is NO reason for a Fairlane to ride better or be quieter than a Fairmont. In fact, the ride is probably worse with the SLS. Not noticeable though.

I'd go the Fairmont. More nimble, and still plenty big enough for a family. Also better looking!

Go for an EL if you can, a whole raft of nicer little bits over the EF. Nicer interior, nicer exterior, NVH and suspension improvements and also newer.
SLO247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #9
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO247
There is a lot of misinformation in this thread. I have had a few EF/Ls, and I currently have an NF 5.0 that I bought stock and modified.

-Self Leveling Suspension WAS fitted to NA-NL Fairlanes.

I stand corrected. But am in agreeance with it being cheap to changeover.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #10
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

What sort of money are you looking at paying?

You could probably get an AU 'Lane for around $6-$8k
Old 19-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #11
Boosted2

Would love an AU lane but trying to save and buy a house. Looking around the 3ish mark.
Old 19-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #12
sprint347dave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

more room in the back of the fairlane for shagging
sprint347dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 09:45 PM   #13
lamborghinifan

+ 1 for the lane. Love that boot. Love the ride as well, (if you like the floaty i'm driving a big car feel). Old man's Onto the second one now, his NL got rear ended by a CRV, wrote both cars off, bought another practically identical in 2 days. he's getting 8-10's/100 highway driving. bit thirsty around town but aren't they all! I like driving it just as much as my terry and ba ute.

actually just to add, the first cost $5k around 3 years ago 165000 on odo. latest one (last week) cost $3800 220000 on clock, but one owner/deceased estate, excellent condition. agree with the comment about them being looked after. mostly older owners/farmers. Both had the SLS removed though before purchase.
lamborghinifan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 11:07 PM   #14
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

ltd ftw
Old 19-12-2010, 11:49 PM   #15
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint347dave
more room in the back of the fairlane for shagging
Seeing as he already has 3 kids I doubt if this will be on the 'must have' list
Old 20-12-2010, 12:30 AM   #16
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Probably the Fairlane Route. As a dual NCII owner, of which my dad has just bought another NCII, after giving me the one I gave him 5 years ago back, which was after his NA died. My brother owned a White NCII that was written off, then replaced by a NC. I can vouch for them.

All of ours have been V8's on LPG, except for my dads latest, which is a 6. They are a comfy ride & as mentioned before the SLS system for the rear shocks can be replaced. All you need is standard shocks & springs. Or you can lower if need be.

It really depends if you are after a V8 or 6, there isnt too much difference in fuel consumption, & while some people will suggest that it is only for barbecues, LPG is the better way to go. So try to find one with it already installed. It saves some hassle. However quite alot of these model 'lanes have it now.

The leg room in the back is fantastic, as a lanky fellow, even in my teens I hated sitting in the back seat as my legs would cramp up, however in the lanes, it is just like sitting in the front. The gas tank does restrict boot space, however, if you dont use the boot for a huge amount of storage space then it isn't a big deal.

Have a good look on carsales, there is an awesome black on at Morayfield I think. I was interested in it myself, until dad gave me mine back. Well look after, engine has been rebuilt (on ad - 40,000 ago, so probably 60 now), on gas. & its black. Hard to get one of those. Always wanted one.

So things to look out for:
-Self Levelling Suspension (SLS) can be replaced, but shouldnt be a problem if you are going to lower it anyway. The suspension guys should know how to deal with it.
-Steering/Front suspension, make sure the rack & pinion doesnt knock wen on full lock. & that there is no *clunck* from the front suspension when going over bumps & pothloes.
-Leaks. The BTR 95LE can have a few problems with this. As can the 5ltr V8 front & rear main engine seals, not to mention the sump gasket.
-Transmission. When it hasn't been taken care of, then the BTR becomes quite temperamental. Make sure that shifts fast & smooth, or your in for big biccies (know from experience).
-Electrical. Make sure nothing under the dash has been tampered with, I had this problem with the blue beast, it created no end of headaches.
-Rust. Yes rust. Remember these cars are getting to the 15/6 year plus mark. My blue on had a little in front of the bottom of the passengers side rear wheel arch. There was also a little do on my bootlid, above the passengers side taillight. (on the back, not the deck)
-Damage. Some of these cars have had their rear wheel-arches flattened by concrete pillars at shopping centres & the like. My brother did it to my blue one, & my dads new on has had a bit of a botch job to fix it. This damage is a bugger to fix.

Bumpers are also very hard to find in good condition, & new, forget it. Ive tried!

Paint. Some Colours now at thier age are starting to loose there clear coats. Cardinal Red, Cobalt Blue, & Amazon Green (I think thats its name) are the main culprits. Most Silvers & Whites don't have the problem

-Power windows. These days the regulators are dying, because of age. They are easy to replace, & Cost about 150 each. Also there can be a problem with winding up, the window needs to be pulled back while raising, as it catches at the front.

V8 Specifics.
Have a look for the separation of the harmonic balancer from its shaft, an indication, is the rubber protruding from between the weight, & the shaft. If it needs to be replaced, then go aftermarket. Ford asks an arm a leg, your righty & lefty for it. They may even want one of your children too.

Radiator shroud. Check to make sure there are no visible cracks or repairs. This part is obsolete from Ford. (My brother got the very last one in the country a few years back to replace his). Not sure if there is an aftermarket manufacturer. However, you may consider the NL/EL/F twin thermo option. Its a good idea.

Check if the radiator is new. I had SERIOUS problems with the BB here. I went through 5 of them due to the casting from the engine block blocking the capilaries. In fact get the block flushed anyway.

Water pump. Check to see if it is new/near new. These are generally ok, however, can be a problem. If it does need replacing, check the mounting block/plate for cavitation/pitting/corrosion marks. This may become a problem in the future.

*** Get the regulator/module bushes on the back of the alternator inspected. If need be either get them replaced (mine cost me $10 the other day) or replace the whole module, these are generally available through auto sparky's for about $50, which after labour, could be a bit cheaper. Make sure, if your getting the parts yourself, you specify your alternator. There are 2, 1 is the motorcraft alternator (most common) & has 3 pins that connect with the loom. The Bosch (which I think are on the F/L series) have 2 pins.

Look there are more smaller issues, & if you are really after one, I can provide more info via PM.

These are good cars, & virtually are are Fairmont with a longer body, or a Fairmont is a Fairlane in a Falcon body. Regardless of what anybody says, weight & power are not big issues. With the Z series lanes & LTDs, they were shocking. A fully optioned LTD/Lane in the N series is 1710 KG. Not THAT much over the Falcon bodied cars..........

My Blue Beast finally gave out after 440,000 kms of hard 1000k a week work & admittedly, I never had the money to keep maintaining it properly, so if i did then, it would probably still be going. (The box was the last straw, it was rebuild at 196 & gave out at 440, of it was a good run) Not that it was a good base car, it was abused by previous owners. My new (old) 'Lane is great. My dad dint have any real problems with it other than waterpump, balancer, & powersteering pump replacements. Oh and the alternator.

They are comfy & do the hard yards in style. & While the die-hard performance falcon owners will always say "go with the Fairmont", I say go the Lane, or LTD.

Good luck, I have more info if you need it. Its late is all...
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 12:47 AM   #17
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was looking at a Fairlane last year and realised it wouldn't fit in my car port, well it would if I didn't close the tilt a door.
So measure up first, they are quite big. Fairmont Ghia is just as good IMO.
Old 20-12-2010, 12:54 AM   #18
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ah yes, I remember a particularly good year for cattle around here, and it seemed half the farmers in the region had brand new NF Fairlanes. Great to see brand new mud covered fairlanes littering the local pubs. Ah those were the pre 4wd craze days. Go the lane. A great car.

Last edited by Brazen; 20-12-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 07:20 PM   #19
Boosted2

Thanks for all the info and advice guys.

I am looking at a 97 Fairmont today with 230ks, 2 owners and last owner elderly ladie who has documented everything including all fuel put in including litres,amount $ and price per litre. She owned it from 110ks and looks real tidy in pictures. Not my first choice of colours, gold but its tidy and asking $3800 ono but been on for a little while.

What do you think ?
Old 20-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #20
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Worth paying a little extra for a car with FSH and had an easy life.....try and crunch her a little. Tell her to take it easy at bingo. Or alternatively, pay full whack and know that you will go to heaven ;)
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #21
Boosted2

Well went and looked at it, photos do wonders for a car. Had scratches all over it, paint starting to fade, a few dings you cant see in pics and wasnt quite right when driving. So the search will continue when i get back from holidays in Canberra after new years.
Old 21-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #22
dannyxm
was danny888

LWB all the way..........

I have a DC 1994 LTD, love the old barge to bits, like driving in your lounge room.
Old 22-12-2010, 03:39 PM   #23
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted2
Well went and looked at it, photos do wonders for a car. Had scratches all over it, paint starting to fade, a few dings you cant see in pics and wasnt quite right when driving. So the search will continue when i get back from holidays in Canberra after new years.
Can(t)berra for holidays?.....

Well why not. Most Canberrians will be on the Gold Coast