Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-02-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Default Bad day but with some good points (and pics)

Yesterday I broke down on the Kwinana Freeway heading south just after Mortimer Rd.
It was a hot day and I had my 3 kids in the car. My MSD coil had a melt down. Car was running smooth then it vibrated a little and the engine stopped.
I popped the bonnet to see the coil bubbling away.

This was about 10am. Wasn't that hot outside but without aircon the car was starting to get a bit hot. Lucky I had a fair amount of water for the kids. I unstrapped them from their baby seats and gave them some room. I commenced the phone calls.

Rang RAC and they were no help. Friendly sure but couldn't help. Because I had kids that needed baby seats they couldn't tow me. And they don't carry coils; only basics. Said I had 3 kids with me but they said I'd have to pay for a taxi for them. (What am I paying them for again??) Don't go with the RAC if you have kids under 7.

Rang the mother in law and asked if she could get a coil from Ford and bring it to me with tools. She rang back saying Ford want $577 (not a typo) for it. But she could get it for $76 from Repco. (I had a spare in my shed but it was too far away). Ford were really nice to my mother in law as the spares lady said its cheaper elsewhere and Ford rang repco to see if they had any and lucky they did.

In the meantime my brother in laws girlfriend who has baby seats in the back of her VY 2 Clubsport rocked up to take my kids to her mums house which is a day care as well.

Then because my kids were screaming at going with someone else and leaving me there, my mother in law gave the coil to clubsport girl (hence forth known as) so my mother in law was a calming influence on my kids.

In the meantime a very nice motorist stopped and offered me water as he carried it for such purposes as people stuck on the freeway. See nice people do exist.

So I waited a while longer in the car and realised the car was way hotter than standing in the sun. So I got out and stood next to the car; also as a caution to let people know I was there, so some fool doesn't decide to throw a rock at my windows.

Clubsport girl rocked up with the part and some tools. The sockets mother in law gave her were about a mile to big. Lucky clubsport girl put her tool kit in the boot and she had the right little socket. . She also bought me a large coke. Never has a coke tasted so good.

Fired the car up at about 12:15pm and went to pick up my kids

Oh and heres a dead rabbit.

Old 17-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
sprint347dave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats the best looking rear end i have ever seen on a VY Clubsport,,,sounds like you have to pass some good carma around to makeup for the good carma passed your way
sprint347dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Yes I made a big withdrawal from the Karma bank yesterday.
I indeed spread it around, and I will continue to do so.

Forgot to mention that my credit ran out on my phone about 2 calls in. I had to recharge it with my credit card which took 3 phone calls to do because I didn't have one registered with my account.
Old 17-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Its nice to know there are some generous people out there willing to help out. Good story

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Did ya treat the car to a bath when you got home ?

Good to hear the story of that guy in the AU stopping to help.
Glad there are still people out there that stop and ask if you need assistance.

I have had my bonnet popped twice on the side of two different busy-ish roads and no one ever stopped to see if I needed help.
I didn't but that is not the point.

Although once I figured out the problem both times I closed the bonnet.

Must have been nice and sticky on the leather seats too.
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Yeah the car got a clean in the end. The seats aren't too bad because they have the velour on them as well. I hate all leather seats.
Going to wax the car today after I clay it. Lucky it was an easy fix.
Grippy your right. I wasn't expecting any help but it was nice to see there are some very nice people out there to lift our hope in humanity.
Old 17-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #7
LOWBA6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends on where i am and how much of a rush im in but i always try to stop and ask people if they need a hand. Good to know others do this as well! Lucky it was an easy fix even if it did take so long to get everything!
LOWBA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
Linkachu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats a nice dead rabbit.
Linkachu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #9
SLO247
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Enjoyable read, thanks. Cute kids!

Nice car too BTW, looks great on those wheels.

How old was the coil? They are meant to be good....
SLO247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #10
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats a nice clubsport to !
Old 17-02-2011, 12:30 PM   #11
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

The coil wasn't that old, maybe 1 and half years old. Its only done about 15,000ks if that. I'm not very impressed with MSD now. I was almost going to consider upgrading the dizzy and getting a MSD ignition but now....not.

Yeah that Clubsport is very nice. Both Clubsport girl and my brother in law has one. I'm the only Ford boy in the family.
Old 17-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #12
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowEL2XR8
..nice to see there are some very nice people out there to lift our hope in humanity.
I picked up a guy and his son last Friday afternoon who were walking to a servo from their "broken-down" '60 Caddy coupe. He wasn't sure if it was a failed fuel pump or no fuel. 20L later and it was the latter. Caddy fired up and he managed to get it home before it rained (he'd been coming back from getting it professionally polished). He was a nice guy and I was happy to help. Only took a few minutes out of my day.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #13
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Good to hear everything worked out ok. I laughed a bit at your photo of the AU who stopped, with "nice bloke" written above, then a random pic of a dead rabbit!!
I stopped once to help two girls whose lancer had died on a hot day. As it happens it was a head gasket and the car was undriveable, I waited with them till RAA came then left. I'd have stopped for anyone to help, but the fact they where cute young girls certainly influenced my decision!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #14
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

HAHAHA yeah pretty girls got it easy on the breakdowns.
I'm an ugly bloke with 3 kids so I was extremely lucky. Might buy a lotto ticket see how I go.
Old 17-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #15
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

It's nice to know people are still willing to help strangers.
Ford parts recommending other outlets for parts happened to me recently here in Newcastle. I needed a coil, so he recommended Repco because they were cheaper. Even the Ford Wreckers at Wickham chased up a new TCI unit for me from a local engine reconditioner.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #16
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

MSD coils & leads don't have a very good reputation on the modern (EFI/Electronic ignition) vehicles. In fact, the stock factory items are probably better - but missing the bling factor. Glad to hear you got it all sorted
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #17
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

That's the best type of rabbit!!!
Old 17-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #18
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Glad you all got out of it okay. I did note that the Nice Guy was an AUvian! LOL!

Nice that the girl from the dark side was able to help also. Perhaps there's hope for her soul yet! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #19
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Good read.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 08:11 PM   #20
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Well its nice to know that there are still nice people in Perth and that its not a city full of *******. Sometimes I do wonder about that.

All's well that ends well.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2011, 10:20 AM   #21
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowEL2XR8
Oh and heres a dead rabbit.
No matter how bad your day is, there's always someone who's had a worse one. case in point, the rabbit had a bad day.