Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 17-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #31
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by milchy
I've exclusively driven Falcons / Fairmonts for over 20 years: EA, EF, AU (which was the best one I've owned) and now the BA Fairmont 5.4 V8.

It's come time to upgrade my car and I would love to stay in a Ford. Sadly, from my perspective, it now makes little sense to. Consider the following.

My last two Fords have been affordable luxury V8s and I've loved them. Ford Aust have now alienated me though by no longer offering an affordable luxury V8. I'm certainly not going to pay $70-80k for an FPV GTE which is basically a tarted up Falcon.

The Australian built Falcon now sells in such low volumes that it is no longer a viable business proposition and will soon be discontinued. In the meantime, what happens in business when things become unprofitable? You cut corners and I no longer have the patience to spend time at Ford dealerships having problems rectified.

I could jump in a G6ET but, if I'm going down the turbo route, there is plenty of great competition in or around that price band now. Consider Volvo S60, upcoming Saab 9-5, Liberty GT or even the Passat CC. Each do 0-100 in <7s. Each are well equipped. Each are safe. Each <$70k to buy (Saab to be confirmed).

Sadly, it's no longer a rational decision to stay in a Falcon. For me, it's the end of the line.
....and what where the Falcons/Fairmonts if not tarted up. If you had said
Fairlane or LTD I would have given you more Credit.

Good Luck with your endeavour, G6E T is Great Package and if you like Volvos.......

Interesting first post.... If I were you I would give all the cars a fair shake of the sauce bottle. Then make Decision, judging by your last sentence you have made up your mind.

Cheers
Old 17-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #32
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Awwww, I'm sad now. A new member and he's gone and signed up and now sold his car. Those keystrokes are gone for eva.
Old 17-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #33
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Or a GT3 is just a tarted up Beetle........
Thats correct Mr Clarkson.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Old 17-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #34
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Doesn't want to buy a turbo ??? What where the other car options ???
Non turbo ?? Hmm ???
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 17-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #35
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
I've exclusively driven Falcons / Fairmonts for over 20 years: EA, EF, AU (which was the best one I've owned) and now the BA Fairmont 5.4 V8.

It's come time to upgrade my car and I would love to stay in a Ford. Sadly, from my perspective, it now makes little sense to. Consider the following.

My last two Fords have been affordable luxury V8s and I've loved them. Ford Aust have now alienated me though by no longer offering an affordable luxury V8. I'm certainly not going to pay $70-80k for an FPV GTE which is basically a tarted up Falcon.

The Australian built Falcon now sells in such low volumes that it is no longer a viable business proposition and will soon be discontinued. In the meantime, what happens in business when things become unprofitable? You cut corners and I no longer have the patience to spend time at Ford dealerships having problems rectified.

I could jump in a G6ET but, if I'm going down the turbo route, there is plenty of great competition in or around that price band now. Consider Volvo S60, upcoming Saab 9-5, Liberty GT or even the Passat CC. Each do 0-100 in <7s. Each are well equipped. Each are safe. Each <$70k to buy (Saab to be confirmed).

Sadly, it's no longer a rational decision to stay in a Falcon. For me, it's the end of the line.

You dont happen to write for Wheels Magazine do you ?

Old 17-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #36
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

I'm just wondering why you'd say you don't want a Falcon due to it not being viable and then turn around and list a Saab as a possible purchase??

It wasnt very long ago that Saab all but completely dissappeared.

In 2010 Saab produced a grand total of 32,048 cars...wait...isnt that less then what Ford Australia built?
Old 18-02-2011, 10:04 AM   #37
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
You joined up with a Ford Forum just to tell us you no longer wish to own a Ford....OooK

Just remember to shut the door behind you, dont want any more strays making their way in...
HAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 18-02-2011, 03:20 PM   #38
RAPID_BA
Banned

Go grab a calais 6.0l

The more people who buy this car the sooner we will see a g8 with coyote

Sometimes you gotta go on the other side of the fence to fix your side up properly.
Old 18-02-2011, 03:50 PM   #39
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Doesn't want to buy a turbo ??? What where the other car options ???
Non turbo ?? Hmm ???
He didn't say that

He said if he went the turbo route there was plenty of competion

Try reading the post properly
Old 18-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #40
Flat Top
lid man

Quote:

mate the G6E turbo is one of the best cars ive ever driven. The update is due in July E265
Old 18-02-2011, 11:12 PM   #41
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
He didn't say that

He said if he went the turbo route there was plenty of competion

Try reading the post properly
YES I know.. He won't get one of them for the price of the Ford ..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 18-02-2011, 11:27 PM   #42
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=milchy]I've exclusively driven Falcons / Fairmonts for over 20 years: EA, EF, AU (which was the best one I've owned) and now the BA Fairmont 5.4 V8.

It's views like this that are killing the Falcon, How is it not rational to buy a falcon?? if people like you bought a falcon rather than saying things like this maybe it wouldn't be such a bleak outlook.
For the record tho was this the same form of decision making for buying the EA considering there were no V8's in the line up at all??
Old 18-02-2011, 11:31 PM   #43
GazzF6
Perth WA
Donating Member1

Would you consider any of the run out 5.4L models? You can get some sweet deals on these.. I guess the larger size of the falcon is not that important to you if you are considering the medium size cars you listed? Be a shame too lose your support after 20 years! The only other option would be to wait a while and the new stuff will drop in price... 2010 new GT $58k drive away!! See below;

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/demo/details.aspx?trecs=298&tsrc=allcarhome&__Ntk=CarAl l&Cr=4&__Ntt=Gt&R=9904273&__Qpb=true&__D=Gt&silo=1 011&__Ns=pCar_YearMade_Int32|1||pCar_RankSort_Int3 2|1||pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|0&keywords=Gt&__No=15& __sid=12D4E899A8D0&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%2 01282%204294965879&__Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&se ot=1&__Nne=15&__Dx=mode%20matchany

2016 Jaguar XE Black Pack R-Sport

Last edited by GazzF6; 18-02-2011 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Typo
Closed Thread