Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-05-2005, 11:49 PM   #1
GTPChris
Sex on wheels

Default Upgrade GT-P

Hey Guys,

I figure i'll cop a lot of heat for making this post, but I really like the look of the new Mercedes ML500. I've requested a test drive online and who knows, I might be tempted enough to proceed with the purchase.

Feel free to tell me i'm an idiot and I should stick with what I've got. Please dont get the wrong idea, I think Ford have been fantastic with what they have produced and I luv my GT-P. I just feel like I need a change and have this urge to no longer have to tippy-toe around gutters in parking lots. :

Chris
GTPChris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2005, 11:58 PM   #2
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi GTPChris,
Not sure if you have or havn't travelled in many mercs, i certainly have been in and involved with most of the latest models and still get to roll around in them a fair bit ( every time i go to sydney ), nice cars and the ones i ride in are all around 200K plus ( sports models and the popa models if there is such a thing ), for me if i had the choice it would be the GTP and putting up with the car parks, nothing wrong with the mercs, they are well built and they can get up n roll, have every creature comfort as well, but i would always come back to the aussie muscle car every time it just a better feeling ( perhaps when im older maybe but dont see it ), ultimatley it is your choice and im sure it will the right one.

DOC
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2005, 12:11 AM   #3
Steffo
LPG > You

ML500 is a great car. By all means buy it. You might miss the performance of the GT-P though...

Dare I suggest something like a CLK500 or E500? You've got pretty good performance (225kW 460Nm 5.0 V8 in a Falcon/Commo sized car.. they get 13.9's) and you don't have to worry about the gutters in parking lots.. they're not that low hehe.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2005, 12:24 AM   #4
GTPChris
Sex on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
Hi GTPChris,
Not sure if you have or havn't travelled in many mercs, i certainly have been in and involved with most of the latest models and still get to roll around in them a fair bit ( every time i go to sydney ), nice cars and the ones i ride in are all around 200K plus ( sports models and the popa models if there is such a thing ), for me if i had the choice it would be the GTP and putting up with the car parks, nothing wrong with the mercs, they are well built and they can get up n roll, have every creature comfort as well, but i would always come back to the aussie muscle car every time it just a better feeling ( perhaps when im older maybe but dont see it ), ultimatley it is your choice and im sure it will the right one.

DOC

My Gut tells me that I think you're right Doc. No I havent travelled in any mercs at all for that matter. I'll let you know how the test drive goes.

Steffo - I'm looking for something in the 80-100k range. Not 157k range.

Chris
Old 21-05-2005, 12:27 AM   #5
gtfpv
GT

a lot of mercedes brake down i hear and they are so high tech it is very costly . i have read a few articles on the quality of them falling over the passed few years. but if you buy one i hope it is good to you. i'd expect an absolutely perfect car in a merc anything less would immensly sh#t me..
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2005, 12:27 AM   #6
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

merc very nice to drive.... but the GT-P is tuff and that V8 Rumble will be missed..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2005, 12:29 AM   #7
GTPChris
Sex on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
and that V8 Rumble will be missed..
Stop it!!! You are bringing a tear to my eye...
Old 21-05-2005, 12:41 AM   #8
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not saying you probably cant get one to sound tough ( a merc ) but been in the 8's plenty of times and they sound and go like they are on drugs ( sedated, although most who drive them think there fast and love to tell you about how good it is but then again they never have probably driven a real aussie v8 ) compared to the ford 8 and as for them being able to get around the car parks, have travelled in plenty of lowered ones and there much a muchness if any thing you need to be more careful as they are more expencive to repair as mentioned, the sales guys will do thier job and sell ice to eskimo's so perhaps after the test drive if you like it, hire one for a week or two, london to dime youll take it back and keep the GTP.

DOC
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2005, 12:43 AM   #9
Steffo
LPG > You

Have you ever heard a stock Mercedes V8? They sound awesome, even the lowly 430 model. And if you really want sound.. just a muffler will give you that.

If you want to get less sporty.. ever considered BA LTD V8? Luxury in abounds, etc. Or perhaps a Territory Ghia RWD? Or even an AWD model... they're not COTY 2004 for nothing... hehe.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2005, 01:21 AM   #10
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPChris
I'm looking for something in the 80-100k range. Not 157k range.
Chris
Jeez i wish i had that money to spend on a car. How bout a 2nd hand porsche of some sort. Old porsches still hammer like crazy.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2005, 01:36 AM   #11
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
My Gut tells me that I think you're right Doc. No I havent travelled in any mercs at all for that matter. I'll let you know how the test drive goes.

Steffo - I'm looking for something in the 80-100k range. Not 157k range.

Chris
A 6 spd MKII GT-P with Aps twin turbo kit and 378mm alcons. Should be close to the $1oo,ooo mark and would be one of the fastest cars on the road and be able to pull up like nothing else along with all the style and comfort of the GT-P.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2005, 07:17 AM   #12
Dodge
i like to be stroked

ML's donthave a good resale value, the porsche is a better suv, make sure its a turbo.
Old 21-05-2005, 07:31 PM   #13
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Umm if you can get a Cayenne Turbo for his price range let me know and I'll take 2!!!

The new ML does look great and interior has got a huge makeover over the old one, which incidentally was a total POS inside and out. I'd say go for it. Oh and don't dismiss the previous model M5, a number around for $90k.
Old 21-05-2005, 07:56 PM   #14
Thunder Kiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge
ML's donthave a good resale value, the porsche is a better suv, make sure its a turbo.
You're not wrong. I was at the auctions a couple of weeks ago and two MLs went through with bidding reaching $32000 for an ML430 and $28000 for an ML320.
Thunder Kiss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2005, 10:44 PM   #15
WASP
Whipple Induced

Most prestige cars have terrible resale, but the buyers their targeting are not greatly concerned by this fact, only the buyers that go out on a limb and make a stretch. Chris if your getting itchy fingers just go for it. FPV or something similar will always be around for you to come back to. That's partly why I went from my new BAXR8 to the RZTT. After 8 months of great ownership and experiencing something I have wondered about for a long time I’m about ready to come back to some Aussie muscle. Remember absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Colville
Old 21-05-2005, 10:52 PM   #16
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
RZTT. After 8 months of great ownership and experiencing something I have wondered about for a long time I’m about ready to come back to some Aussie muscle. Remember absence makes the heart grow fonder.
Colville
I tell you what if i had the $$$$ id take the supra off you with out a doubt. so you could get your muscle and i could get some turbo...or two lol
Old 22-05-2005, 04:49 PM   #17
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Put a lift kit on the GT-P :
Old 22-05-2005, 04:58 PM   #18
YOOT
Banned

GOod stuff - I don't blame you though, when I have paid the ute off I am trading up to an SR5 Hilux, time for some funin the sun!
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2005, 10:59 PM   #19
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I tell you what if i had the $$$$ id take the supra off you with out a doubt. so you could get your muscle and i could get some turbo...or two lol
Ready when you are MITCHAY:
Old 22-05-2005, 11:10 PM   #20
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
Ready when you are MITCHAY:
Lol you prepared to take $2600 cause thats all i got. And maybe i will get $3000 for my TX5 lol. Love supras. Some asian dude at my college i used to go to has a very nice NA supra which is gold. Its so funny when all these bogans rock up for school in their geminis, commys and falcons, then the asians rock up in their skylines, supras, 180sxs, and silvias. Game over. None of these guys had the muscle that would even come close to these japs imports. Well except for this guy who had a stroked VH commy which was pure animal. There was a pretty nice cortina aswell that was crazy fast and lay down the liquorice strips like crazy.
Old 22-05-2005, 11:23 PM   #21
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Lol you prepared to take $2600 cause thats all i got. And maybe i will get $3000 for my TX5 lol. Love supras. Some asian dude at my college i used to go to has a very nice NA supra which is gold. Its so funny when all these bogans rock up for school in their geminis, commys and falcons, then the asians rock up in their skylines, supras, 180sxs, and silvias. Game over. None of these guys had the muscle that would even come close to these japs imports. Well except for this guy who had a stroked VH commy which was pure animal. There was a pretty nice cortina aswell that was crazy fast and lay down the liquorice strips like crazy.
And you'd find most of those imports are modified in some way, the aussie cars are capable of matching the times of most stock imports when compared in similar price ranges. Throw a blower on a xr8 and watch it run away from a modified import.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2005, 02:27 AM   #22
GTP 200
Traction Control Films

Is this a trick question?

Cam
GTP 200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2005, 02:12 AM   #23
GTPChris
Sex on wheels

Sorry for the late update. I tested the ML500 and it was ^**&^*&^*&. It rattled a hell of a lot more than the GT, it was sluggish, handled like a bag of shheeet and the interior was just awful. Looked like a clints variety shop. There was no quality at all. I later discovered these were designed and manufactured in america. Go figure.

Anyway, the GT lives on.

Chris
Old 16-10-2005, 02:42 AM   #24
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Why not go to Nizpro and get them to build an S4 GT-T Territory for you ... more performance ... and still a Ford as well ... with the extra bit of height too ... with AWD grip.

11 sec 1/4 mile times everytime ... 700-odd Nm of torque with AWD traction.
What more could you want.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2005, 05:12 PM   #25
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 200
Is this a trick question?

Cam
i 2nd this question
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2005, 08:39 PM   #26
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Long live the GT lol Good decision Chris.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 12:32 AM   #27
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sorry for the late update. I tested the ML500 and it was ^**&^*&^*&. It rattled a hell of a lot more than the GT, it was sluggish, handled like a bag of shheeet and the interior was just awful. Looked like a clints variety shop. There was no quality at all. I later discovered these were designed and manufactured in america. Go figure.

Anyway, the GT lives on.

Chris
Mercedes Benz' quality has slipped - I have read that people in the know in the industry say Mercedes have expanded their model line up too fast, and the merger with Chrysler has shaken things around too. With more cars being built outside Germany and Europe - ie USA for one, quality has slipped. The bean-counter's logic tells you that it's cheaper to make the cars in their biggest market - the M class being an SUV would sell better in the USA than Europe. If I were to get a Merc, I'd want one built in Germany, and more likely an E class sedan. Mercedes will apparently be expanding their lineup further - adding a B class (slightly bigger version of A class) and an R class I think, (a smaller version of the M class I believe), so the lineup expansion problems will probably continue until they work harder to get on top of it. Just because it has a Benz or Beemer badge on it doesn't mean it's automatically good anymore. The BMW X3 also is apparently poor - or at least not worth it's asking price. These 2 prestige brands better watch it or they'll do their hard earned rep real damage
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 02:45 AM   #28
GTPChris
Sex on wheels

Agree - what is the world coming too when we all dreamed of owning a mercedes since growing up watching "Sale of the Century". :( *sigh*