Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Police vote to Warn of Speed Cameras by 'flashing'

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...502-1e4ab.html

Aside from the horrid mental image of coppers walking around in nothing but trench coats....there's more than a hint of irony in here.

Flashing before a speed camera or mobile radar actually slows ALL the oncoming cars down doesn't it? Speed traps will slow odwn cars, but knowing they are there will have an even greater effect right?

So if the goal is really to slow cars down, and flashing has proven to be effective, why couldn't they make flashing oncoming cars a non punishable offence, or actually install flashers on cameras or mobile radars to warn drivers and therefore slow them down?

Ask yourself, is slowing down cars and saving lives REALLY the main objective if 'flashing' is otherwise not allowed - except if the police do it of course...?

Lukeyson

Old 03-05-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 
Default Re: Police vote to Warn of Speed Cameras by 'flashing'

I know that this and the QLD union efforts are a negotiating tactic but it really undermines the message by governments and senior police. We can assume that police would do nothing to endanger the lives of people, so we can cameras are about money and not lives.

If the police members also publicly back flashing their lights it will make it interesting if anyone is ever booked for this in the future. Got a pretty good excuse now.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The cameras are nothing more than revenue raising..
eg Ipswich Rd Moorooka they are regularly outside Get Car Loans, bottom of hill,(this one is 1/10th km from the traffic lights )Behind the bus shelter, just passed the Mobil, bottom of hill, outside the old Bartons Holden site, bottom of hill.
I have nothing against speed cameras..IF used as intended. But they aren't.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The purpose of speed cameras is to make money. So flashing just makes them pointless.

I have a yank car some sometimes I flash my lights accidentally while trying to wash my windows. Whoops. Hope I don't get dirty windows near a hidden speed camera.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post