Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-10-2005, 12:36 AM   #1
T2TL50
Proud Owner of a T 2TL50.

Question Any One Willing?

Hello, Again with this dilemma I have with my TL50!!!

I am having bad shuddering again at speeds; I just want to know if any one can help me out here?

Does anyone have a set of STR8 18" rims I could loan for an hour or so to do some tests? See if it is actually the rims? Or if it is the dif or something..

It gets so bad that my whole dash vibrates and causes me some discomfort..

Could any one please try to help me out here...

Could the tail shaft / diff have anything to do with it?

Any help?? Stressed out..

P.s I can’t do my Dyno run unless I have this sorted out...

Cheers

The T2 TL50!! Maybe You Will Own One, One Day!!
T2TL50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 01:08 AM   #2
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

my personal opinion is one of two things-

1) tyre balance- doesn't take much for the rim to turn inside the tyres- this will throw your balance out (see explanation below)

2) tailshaft/engine harmonic vibration- every windsor i've had from AU2 220kW and my T3 all had and have vibration at 80km/h goes away at about 83km/h. just have to live with it, but if it has developed see opinion number 1.

I went through an exercise with my AU2 where the rims turning inside the tyres (spinning) caused this vibration. constant wheel balance is the only cure. every rim will turn inside a tyre given either or both of the following; hard braking or hard accelaration. I bought a pack of sticky dots (about 3mm dia) from a newsagents and put one on the tyre and one on the rim in exactly the same position (lined up)- watch what happens after even a week or two of your normal driving........

just a thought- i know what it did for me. anyway, good luck and nice ride mate...
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 01:21 AM   #3
T2TL50

Question Info Welcomed

That sounds like a good plan... i will do such things!!

And take a few pics etc...

The thing is I know I have one buckled rim... but that’s on the front... and the back ones are ment to be fine... but i have only just had then done with the new tires 2k ago..

This is part of the reason why I would like to borrow a set of rims to do a test...

I know it is not the balancer it is only at about the 100 + speeds it happens...

And other times I am driving it does not happen...
It is driving me mad I just want to sort the problem out...

Thanks for the help...

P.s is taking off hard bad for the car?

Cheers Rick...

Old 19-10-2005, 01:23 AM   #4
T2TL50

Lightbulb Any Idea?

PP.s Does any one know where i could take the rims i have to be str8tened?

I am on a fairlay low budget and i am willing to travel.. just want a good job done!

Cheers

Old 19-10-2005, 01:26 AM   #5
Sprint_ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

t2tl50 seeing ur from werribee go try tirepower in hoppers, they get em set off for that stuff and i have heard good results,

also as jim sed, windors do vibrate a bit, it happened to me, put a v8 supercar harmonic balancers and alot of vibration dissapeared, but its more noticable with manuals
Sprint_ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 01:33 AM   #6
T2TL50

Unless I have a VW Beetle, it is not my engine vibrating!!

It is coming from the back half of the car... but it is felt quite bad i the front...
Where do I get one of these balancers the v8 super car ones? Will add one while I am at it

Old 19-10-2005, 02:45 AM   #7
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

IMO- check the balance on the wheels- simple things are the most likely.

would of helped if you siad about the buckled rim in the first place though- theres a good chance that won't be helping- change it out with the spare for the purpose of the exercise- won't cost anything to try.

on a side note- and don't be disheartened- don't be surprised if there is some vibration coming from the engine, even though it's a t series- I've had three motors and all have done the same....

ask around and i'm pretty sure you will find i'm not alone- although NO-ONE likes to admit their T series has any issues lol...

Is launching hard bad for your car, yeah probably, but will it stop you doing it- it hasn't stopped me...

try the wheel balance first mate, you might be surprised.
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 19-10-2005, 12:21 PM   #8
Sprint_ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

those balancers are the romac ones, repco and stuff like that can get them there bout 450 but i got mine 25$ cheaper and the stock one, far superior less vibes and the rubber wont move like in normal windsors
Sprint_ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 12:39 PM   #9
SSbaby
Banned

Swap the tyres around first - front and rears - see if that makes a difference... then let's take things from there.
Old 19-10-2005, 10:07 PM   #10
T2TL50

Question Facts so far

Hey guys,

I have swapped all the tires... with some semi decent ones... just after str8 rims... and got them...

I have gotten to the speeds at which it seems to give trouble... and nothing happend... Good sign...

BUT!!! When driving home after the few test runs... has a massive *** bad noise from the rear passenger side... took out the hand break and it went away... put it back in and still not there..

Do you think this could have anything to do with it?

Cheers Rick

Old 20-10-2005, 12:15 AM   #11
efgiar
rofl copter

handbrake could be siezing up on the passanger side... just a guess :P because thats what could be causing ur vibrations on the 18's, and when you took the wheel off it somhow released itself from the siez... but go get it checked out and say thats what you THINK it oculd be

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 12:20 AM   #12
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50
my personal opinion is one of two things-

I bought a pack of sticky dots (about 3mm dia) from a newsagents and put one on the tyre and one on the rim in exactly the same position (lined up)- watch what happens after even a week or two of your normal driving........

thats really interesting!! you wouldnt think it could move hey?
Wouldnt that meen that the air valve would move also? I thought it cant move!
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 01:12 AM   #13
geza
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2TL50
PP.s Does any one know where i could take the rims i have to be str8tened?
About three years ago I also buckeled a rim (hit pothole on a raining night) and since I was in the same state you are in and didn't have $600 for a new alloy I asked around a few tyre shops and found out where they got alloy rims re-rolled.
For the life of me I can't find the places bussiness card to give you a name and address, but it's located in Moorabin just off the Nepean Hwy, very close to that big IKEA joint.
Now, the bloke told me, then, that if he could fix it it would cost $100, if he couldn't then no charge.
I asked why's that and he said depending on the severity of the damage to the rim (cracked or split) repair wouldn't be possible as they heat the alloy then roll it out to its original shape. Don't forget that this process also cause heat stress to build up in the alloy thus lessening its life.
To help you find them, when you ask around, these guys also crome alloys and steel rims.

Best of luck
Gerry.

P.S. The alloy was re-rolled with no problems.
Old 20-10-2005, 02:37 PM   #14
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I had a buckeled rim on my Fairlane that was discovered a few months ago when I got new tyres. The buckle didn't cause any vibration or shudder that I noticed, and cost $88 to get fixed.

When I got the new tyres put on, it wasn't balanced right and I got noticeable steering wheel shudder at freeway speeds. A rebalance fixed that.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 02:53 PM   #15
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
thats really interesting!! you wouldnt think it could move hey?
Wouldnt that meen that the air valve would move also? I thought it cant move!
in a tubeless tyre, the valve is mounted in the rim, it won't move.

in just three weeks (of hard accelarating and braking) the dots I put on in the same position (12 oclock) were about 2 oclock....

they move more than you'd think. this was on my 220kW xr8 and I ended up with a set of series 1 TE50 wheels and new tyres under warranty. Took 9 months though......
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5