Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
Zero_PSI
Banned

Default Ve Ssv

So I'm considering trading in my BA for a VE SSV ute. I really want a V8 now. Chances are this wont happen because I'd be losing alot of money. But has anyone owned one? And are they worth the 30something grand?

Zero_PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Default Re: Ve Ssv

Manual or auto?

I have only driven manuals, but they were fantastic. Lots of grunt.

My pet hates about the cars are the red lit dash, the auto adjusting bass in the stereo and the shape of the steering wheel. The overall drive and that is great, especially being a coil springed rear as opposed to the leaf springs most utes use. Given I don't use any utes I drive for actual work the coil spring isnt an issue, but if you're a tradie you may want to give this some consideration.

Also, VE hard lids on the utes are annoying as hell for rear vision. They basically make it impossible to see out of the rear with. Whether this is the same case for Fords I'm unaware but it is something I've noticed with the Holden.

Good car in my opinion, and if it's got reasonable kays in the 30k price arena it sounds good to me.
Old 28-05-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
Windsor220
Now Fordless

You buying new then? May be worth picking up one thats a few years old. Will still be a VE. Or even consider the Ford equivalent if you prefer Fords.

I worked at Holden for a bit last year so have driven and worked on a few. Pretty good for a ute in regards to handling and power. Be prepared you may be visiting the dealership a bit as VEs have a few issues.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
Zero_PSI
Banned

It's just a consideration as I'm over the moon about the way the BA drives, looks, handles etc. My brother said the VE feels "cheap" to drive compared to both mine and Dads utes.
Zero_PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_PSI
It's just a consideration as I'm over the moon about the way the BA drives, looks, handles etc. My brother said the VE feels "cheap" to drive compared to both mine and Dads utes.
The VE does feel cheap inside compared to a BA and even more so compared to a FG.

Plenty of FG XR8's in the low to mid 30k bracket.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
Manual or auto?

I have only driven manuals, but they were fantastic. Lots of grunt.

My pet hates about the cars are the red lit dash, the auto adjusting bass in the stereo and the shape of the steering wheel. The overall drive and that is great, especially being a coil springed rear as opposed to the leaf springs most utes use. Given I don't use any utes I drive for actual work the coil spring isnt an issue, but if you're a tradie you may want to give this some consideration.

Also, VE hard lids on the utes are annoying as hell for rear vision. They basically make it impossible to see out of the rear with. Whether this is the same case for Fords I'm unaware but it is something I've noticed with the Holden.

Good car in my opinion, and if it's got reasonable kays in the 30k price arena it sounds good to me.
Ford are just as bad with rear vision, especially with the bulge hard lid and tinted windows.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #7
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Maybe ask about the Ve over at LS1?

The responses will help you justify changing from the Ford I reckon.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #8
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I've spent years driving VE SS's as company cars. My thoughts in no particular order.

The 6.0 V8 is a gem and sounds great
They look OK
The auto is rubbish.
Vision is poor. High sides, thick pillars and small external mirrors. The utes are worse.
Interior plastics are hard and tacky and feel cheap
The factory bluetooth is useless
Despite being large 330mm brakes are average

My thoughts would be buy a BF/FG Pursuit, fix the resale problem as well.
Old 28-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #9
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
The factory bluetooth is useless
what year commies are you driving?
mine is a mid 2010 and bluetooth is fantastic
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

drove my sisters bf's ve ssv wagon (manual) and i loved it.
Old 28-05-2011, 06:21 PM   #11
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

if you are jumping ship, the engine alone is enough to make the jump. the manual is pretty good however it is very clunky. most my mates have ve ss's and they don't seem to suffer from as much axle tramp as the ford manuals do. i actually want to buy one but for some reason i just cant jump ship, no matter how hard i've tried. the interior is pretty cheap but i think the ssv's interior is a step forward
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #12
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Ive driven a few through my line of work. The interior is not as good as the FG. A mate of mine has an SS and prefers my manual turbo clutch and changes. Biggest complement was to say the FG turbo is quicker by a fair margin. Very high praise from a loyal Holden bloke.
For me the engine note is only good once you get into it but my XR6T ute is louder stock for stock at idle in the cab. The power delivery of the V8 is smooth all the way to redline but I didnt find any real shove and like you get in the turbo. However seeing as you have to go a V8 id agree with someone above and go with a second hand Super Pursuit.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2011, 01:14 AM   #13
290v
290v

Check the load carrying of the two vehicles & the towing capacity before you buy
Old 29-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #14
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIPURSUIT
drove my sisters bf's ve ssv wagon (manual) and i loved it.
A BF VE?

A Ford / Holden hybrid?

jk - I know you meant boyfriend

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #15
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

haha, it was brand spanking off the line too, hadnt even hit 100 kilometers. Only fault i found with it, was the carpet was rippled down the trans tunnel. He went and had a look in the yard and saw a few others with it, some not so bad.. i though that was pretty poor quality control to think its acceptable, even its its not that noticable, its brand new.
Old 29-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #16
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G6ET Spot
The VE does feel cheap inside compared to a BA
Pffft, you've got to be kidding right?
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #17
RS027
Perth XR5'er

My mate has a VE SSV ute that he uses in many events around Perth. Last year he asked me to drive it with him in the FABCAR 1-day classic and I gotta say it was good to drive. Interior is nice and rides well. Very capable and quick car that in the end we finished 1 place behind an R34 GTR in 15th overall and at times I was able to place in the top 10. Honestly it's a car that does most things well and it is very reliable.

In-car from FABCAR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyDg3WtUQHg
Ford Rallye Sport Club of WA; Member#64:

Barbagallo Short: 1:01.1779
Barbagallo Long: 1:12.4649
Collie: 55.90

K&N Gen2 57i CAI / 2XS RIP / Airtec Gen3 IC / Mongoose Dump Pipe / Outlaw 200cpsi Cat / Milltek Ultimate Race Catback / Whiteline 24mm RARB / Whiteline FALK / BC Racing BR-Spec Coilovers / RSR Rear Camber Arms / Ferodo DS2500 Pads F&R / Goodridge Braided Brake Lines / Elevate Torque Mount / DS MOD C / MkII RS Clutch & DMF / Quaife LSD
RS027 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #18
EgoFalcon
The Villan

Driving VE SSV ute I found it was pretty light on its feet, hated the steering wheel and the handling. I don't mind the SSV interior with colour screen but stock SS one sucks bad time. Thing I hated most was the hand brake, oh god that looked so cheap and nasty. Rear vision was problem but get same with a ford if have hardlid buldge. Massive B pillars (I know its a ute but still). If going by sound its personal opinion but i dislike the sound of stock LS engines. It really bogged down if put something decently heavy in the back (heavy sheet metal was my example), can't comment on fords as only regular ford ute is an f250. I dislike the seats. Sound system is better then fords I thought. I prefer the blue to the red instrument colours. I liked in the digital speedo it read out exactly what speed you were doing even under foot to floor situation (hehe), fg falcon digital speedo kind of delays the speedo readout (meaning put foot down jumps from 30 to 46, not 30, 31, 32 in rapid form). Manual feeling stuff is PERSONAL OPINION, you will get used to the clutch as in any manual car (unless its broken). One plus is the IRS (independant rear suspension) in the ute, but is a downfall for carrying something in the back.

Thats all I can think of at present.

The PX Ranger has arrived! XLT Metropolitean Grey

Previous Ride - 2007 BF MK II XR6 in Lightning Strike
EgoFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #19
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think VE's look like bloated Astra's, the v8's sound like fun to drive though.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2011, 04:19 PM   #20
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Chaser
A BF VE?

A Ford / Holden hybrid?

jk - I know you meant boyfriend
Hahaha.. just realised that FG backwards is GF. I think I'd rather a GF than BF
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #21
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been in a VE SS Ute (So not the SSV). Full exhaust riding on 20inch wheels. Seemed pretty fun to me. Had some serious get up and go to 100km/h. Wasn't a rough ride either. Went pretty well around corners keeping stable going about 80km/h (industrial area)
Although it sounded awesome the Falcon V8's do sound better. Also I thought the stock sound system in the ute was crappy as. You couldn't put it up that loud at all.
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post