Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-06-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
Cjhoffman1
Starter Motor

Default Prolube Lubricants - What do you think??

I own a BA MKII Falcon Ute (09/05 build date) which has done 104 000 km, I had it serviced at FORD while under warranty and then at a another local mechanic for three services. I am now doing an oil+filter change myself roughly every 5000km with Castrol Magnatec 10W 40. I am looking to buy engine oil in 20L drums and hopefully save some money, basically I just want an oil that is going to do the job and not harm my engine in any way.

I am looking at using this engine oil, Prolube Ultrafleet 15W40 CI-4/SL. According to Prolube I'd be able to use this oil in my 05 Falcon Ute (Petrol) and in my 08 Landcruiser Prado (Diesel).

But I am not sure of the quality and the history of the oil or if I should be using the same engine oil for a petrol and a diesel engine. I can get a 20L drum for $95.00.

Has anyone had any experience with Prolube? and What do you reccommend?

Cjhoffman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
Veefore

Default Re: Prolube Lubricants - What do you think??

If it is the correct grade (SG, SH, SL etc.) and weight and it is changed regularly then it really doesn't matter what brand you use. The difference in wear between the best and worst oils of the same grade after 10,000km is only about 20 or 30 parts per million. Beyond 10,000km is where the difference in oil quality is noticed.
Veefore is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: