Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-11-2005, 10:38 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ford Brings Back The ZEPHYR

First Drive: 2006 Lincoln Zephyr
2006 Lincoln Zephyr | Photo GalleryBy Edmunds.com Editors

In the post-modern world, the name Zephyr has zero resonance. The word is a throwback to a time when Classicism was taught in schools and new-fangled home appliances like toasters and belt-driven washers had names like Prometheus and Brobdingnag. These days, most people will probably confuse "Zephyr," a soft, warm breeze, with "Zamphir," the pan flute guy, a "musician" who can ruin with mindless energy everything from Abba to Wagner.

If you're old enough to remember Zamphir, but not so old as to think he was actually pretty cool, then you're probably smack in the middle of the 2006 Lincoln Zephyr demographic. The name probably won't start a single-handed revival of the Classics, but it will probably go a long way toward rejuvenating the Lincoln brand. Picking this ancient moniker is an oddly counterintuitive move. Zephyr is a 70-year-old nameplate that was originally lifted from a streamlined locomotive. Hardly the image you would contemplate to seduce a generation of younger buyers. The only people excited about locomotives these days are the ones who stall their pickups at a grade crossing. The smart money would have said to go with something hip and urban. Or at the very least something that doesn't bring up images of Byron and the Lake Poets. Somehow though, it all sort of fits. The retro name, the classic touches like the analog clock front and center on the dash, and restrained styling all hang together. It's classic in the manner of a Wright Prairie Style house. Strong lines, a commanding presence and the obvious product of someone at the top of his game. Of course, unlike a Wright house, the Zephyr won't leak in the rain.

If You Want a Parade Float, Look Elsewhere
Not so long ago, using "trail braking" and "Lincoln" in the same sentence was either the setup or the punch line of a joke. The Zephyr will force you to look elsewhere for comedy material. Up front there's a short/long arm suspension while the rear features an independent multilink configuration with control arms. There's a stabilizer bar on each end. On paper, it sounds middle-of-the-road conventional. No exotic forged-aluminum arms or DARPA-inspired compliance pivots. But what's there is solidly engineered and fully developed to produce a supple ride and agile handling. And by that we don't mean a supple ride and agile handling "for a Lincoln." We're talking about the real thing.

On back roads, even those that haven't seen a pavement crew in decades, the Zephyr exhibits few vices. Bumps and chattery surfaces on your apex don't seem to induce any toe change. In sweepers that require just breathing the engine to preload the suspension, the Zephyr takes no time at all to settle in for the change of direction. Once you dial in sufficient steering input, the suspension takes a set, digs in and hangs on like a trapeze artist swinging over an acre of punji stakes. It'll take some real effort to induce terminal understeer from the 17-inch P225/50 tires.

The variable-ratio, power-assisted rack and pinion steering requires a special commendation. Considering the beefy tires it commands, steering effort is light and easy in parking, making barely legal K-turns and tooling around town, but tightens up and notches into superb on-center feel at speed. In corners, there's high-quality feedback and a reassuring, linear buildup of weight in the hands.

Beware the Spike Strips and Helicopters
We don't know in what country the development engineers learned their craft, but we'd bet they spent at least some time learning how to say, "Wo ist die autobahn, bitte?" Like the best of the Deutsche marques, the Zephyr's sense of being planted to the road increases with road speed. Triple-digit speeds are where the integration of a car's subsystems really shines. Or falls apart. Engine, transmission, suspension, aero, sound abatement — you name it. If it does well in the body temperature-plus environment, chances are somebody worked long and hard to make it right.

The problem with the Zephyr is that once you sample the refinement served up at those speeds, you won't want to back off. The 3.0-liter, Duratec V6 is rated at 221 hp and mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. At 80 mph, the engine loafs along at right around 2,400 rpm with plenty of reserve power available all the way to the 6,600-rpm redline. If 221 hp doesn't seem like enough to achieve orbital escape velocity, consider that 10 years ago, the corporation's workhorse 4.0-liter V6 produced a mere 140 hp. The Duratec doesn't just squeeze more power from a smaller displacement, it's also rated ULEV 2 (Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle). We can thank refinements like the variable intake cam timing system for the boost in power and improved sanitation of exhaust fumes.

Our test car was equipped with the optional navigation system and 14-speaker THX sound system. We became emotionally attached to both. A product of the film industry (specifically, George Lucas), THX will let you crank up the volume to disturbing-the-peace levels without distortion or loss of clarity.

Of course, we're only touching the surface here. There's a lot more to like about the Zephyr. The seats are wonderful, the interior is spacious, and the fit and finish is exemplary. The best news of all, however, is the aggressive pricing. The base price is $29,995. With everything checked on the six-item options list, the price goes up to $35,575. For the added money, you get leather seating, the nav system, THX sound, HID headlamps, chrome wheels and the power moonroof. Everything else — like power seats, steering wheel controls, front and side airbags, ABS, EBD (Electronic Brakeforce Distribution), dual-zone auto climate control, drive memory seat, and the rest of the luxury items — comes standard.

Odd name notwithstanding, the Zephyr makes a powerfully modern statement for Lincoln. It demonstrates a real understanding of the market and the expectations of people who gravitate toward the "sport" in sport luxury sedans. It's worthy enough that it might even usher in a period of antiquarian names. Can you see yourself driving a Lincoln Zeus or a Mercury Thracian?

csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 10:50 PM   #2
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Bah, doesnt even look remotely like the ford zephyr's of old. The front is nice but the rear is crook.

To me the car seems to be a bit of a ripoff. Its got FWD, the crappy Durotec 3.0L and seems to me like its a Lincoln's take on a Lexus ES300, a Nissan Maxima or the Honda Accord. Though i do give it cred for the 6 speed auto and independant suspension.

I was in the US and wanted an car like this, id probably look Marcury Grand Marquis or Ford Fusion.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 10:55 PM   #3
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

You call THAT a Zephyr?.... Not a patch on a certain black Mk111 that used to pull high 11's at Calder!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 12:14 AM   #4
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I guess they'll call the upmarket model Zodiac ???
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 12:59 AM   #5
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Don't forget the Lincoln Zephyr was around before the pommy Ford one
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 02:01 AM   #6
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Don't forget the Lincoln Zephyr was around before the pommy Ford one
Yep the original Lincoln was far bigger and uglier than any Pommy effort!
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 04:12 PM   #7
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

DAMN YOU.

DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL...

This thread reminded me of a '53 Zephyr Six that had been for sale a while ago. I sent the bloke an e-mail and while he has stopped advertising, it is still for sale.

Now Im going to buy a fourth car because of you lot!

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 04:37 PM   #8
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

4 cars? Can you employ me?
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 04:44 PM   #9
Shonky

Not a bad effort for 17 hey...

Sending me broke though :yeees:

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:59 PM   #10
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

ahhhhh young and in debt....ill take my job back thanks :P
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 05:13 PM   #11
Shonky

lol...

nah not in debt. Just havent got any $$$!

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Old 09-11-2005, 05:24 PM   #12
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young 'un
DAMN YOU.

DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL...

This thread reminded me of a '53 Zephyr Six that had been for sale a while ago. I sent the bloke an e-mail and while he has stopped advertising, it is still for sale.

Now Im going to buy a fourth car because of you lot!
A'53 Zephyr- where did you see that? Is it in the Hornsby area? My XC is sitting at a mechanics just on the Pacific Highway, Hornsby at the moment....one day you'll see it around on the road!

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post