Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #31
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Any one use new oil called ''royal purple'' new at supper cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb-fairmont
i know this may be off topic but with the Castrol Magnetech i think its called they say it sticks to the engine so my question is how on earth do ya know if all the oil has come out or not???? since they advertise it sticks to the engine?

Easy mate, remove the sump plug, stick the garden hose in the top and turn it on full bore ... most of the oil should come out.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #32
Falcman0o7
Banned

Default Re: Any one use new oil called ''royal purple'' new at super cheap

Penrite will do me.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 11:17 PM   #33
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
Easy mate, remove the sump plug, stick the garden hose in the top and turn it on full bore ... most of the oil should come out.
Good thing there is an R in your username!
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 11:19 PM   #34
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Overly priced for my needs. A good (& appropriate) dinosaur oil is all thats needed to keep a public roader happy.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 11:26 PM   #35
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Yes, stay with the one oil, I supply my own oil (Penrite HPR5) when my FG gets serviced, so the oil stays the same. Have used this oil for about 4 years now, including in the BA, found the engine ran noticably quieter and smoother with it.

Penrite is also Australian founded, owned and manufactured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
In theory if you change your oil regularly and use the right viscosity and type for your engine it shouldn't make much difference as far as the brand is concerned? I use Castrol GTX, it's cheap, comes in the right grade and seems to do a reasonable job.
I have found using the straight mineral oils that Ford and dealers use (GTX and Magnatec) that the oil level starts dropping after 8,000-10,000km. Then when draining the oil, some of it has a watery consistency. I have found that Penrite HPR5 does not do this, even after 15,000km in the engine. Fully synthetic oils the same, they retain the viscosities much better.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #36
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
also, don't be tricked into thinking the colour of the oil means something. most oils have detergents and all sorts in them designed to clean your engine so they will go dirty. they still work how they are supposed to.
Never thought of that. I've always assumed clean oil for a long time = oil doing a good job (and vice versa). Probably not the case.

I do believe you are better off buying the cheapest adequate oil and changing more regularly though (and be consistent in what you use as others have said)
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 11:57 PM   #37
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
I have found using the straight mineral oils that Ford and dealers use (GTX and Magnatec) that the oil level starts dropping after 8,000-10,000km. Then when draining the oil, some of it has a watery consistency. I have found that Penrite HPR5 does not do this, even after 15,000km in the engine. Fully synthetic oils the same, they retain the viscosities much better.
Interesting that you mention that, I noticed that just before the last service which was a bit later than normal. But it would be impossible to rule out oil leaks and oil being burned by the engine in a car like mine. After 13 years and 120XXX kays of being run on the same Castrol mineral oil it would be a bit pointless to switch over now, but in a new car that would be an important factor to consider.
Old 17-12-2011, 11:59 PM   #38
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
also, don't be tricked into thinking the colour of the oil means something. most oils have detergents and all sorts in them designed to clean your engine so they will go dirty. they still work how they are supposed to.
My oil normally goes dark quickly and comes out pretty much black even after 6,000 kays. I'm guessing that's a bad thing?
Old 18-12-2011, 12:08 AM   #39
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

i just put castrol edge full synthetic in mine, and so far seems to use slightly less petrol, only reason i went full synthetic is because im doing the service every 15000kms and i dont have much faith in mineral oil last much more than 10000kms.

bit pricey though at $69 per 5LTR.

Anyone know where you can get it cheaper?

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 12:20 AM   #40
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Oil is oil. Dont understand why people buy $100 oil and then replace it every 3 months.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 02:01 AM   #41
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsta
Anyone know where you can get it cheaper?
I will buy a years worth of oil for both our cars on boxing day supercheap have there 20% off store wide sale..
$69 - 20% off = $55

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 02:33 AM   #42
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Penrite HPR gas does me for both our Fords. I buy it by the 20L drum. I looked at that Royal Purple right up till I saw the price then decided it was too overpriced. you end up paying a premium just because of the name. It's like buying a Harley, you pay extra just for the name on the tank. I am trying Nulon Diesel in the Delica as there was a 20L drum of the stuff sitting there when I bought my last drum of Penrite and it was at a very good price. That should see me out for over 12 months with the Delica as it only goes out on the weekends so it should be a good test to see how well it stands up over an extended period.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 10:19 AM   #43
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im suprised no one is using Valvoline...
Old 18-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #44
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyyyy
Im suprised no one is using Valvoline...
I was - their 15W-40, but Bursons doesn't stock it, so I'm now using Nulon.

Penrith made my engine noisy (and I don't buy their extra 10 line), Shell was ok, but my engine is far happier with a 15W-40 than anything else.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #45
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Have they started making big stickers for the RP brand? I want to stick one on all my cars, oh and the bike.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #46
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
My oil normally goes dark quickly and comes out pretty much black even after 6,000 kays. I'm guessing that's a bad thing?
Quite the opposite actually. It means your oil is removing contaminants & holding them in suspension - rather than allowing them to adhere to surfaces & start sludging up.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #47
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Smile Re: Any one use new oil called ''royal purple'' new at supper cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8
Quite the opposite actually. It means your oil is removing contaminants & holding them in suspension - rather than allowing them to adhere to surfaces & start sludging up.
Exactly,the reason imo Castrol Edge is overated.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #48
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyDUZ747
Exactly,the reason imo Castrol Edge is overated.
to sludge.. or not to sludge....
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #49
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Only our findings from LS engines.Tried it once in mine a couple years ago when I first came on forums and it came out lighter than the Penrite previouslly used,quite alot lighter actually after same kms.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #50
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyDUZ747
Only our findings from LS engines.Tried it once in mine a couple years ago when I first came on forums and it came out lighter than the Penrite previouslly used,quite alot lighter actually after same kms.
really, mine darkens up fairly quick in the Boss, always up it, but methinks tune needs a look at mo bt me cbf........
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post