Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-12-2011, 01:51 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Hi-tech point-to-point speed cameras to cover entire distance of Brisbane Airport Lin

Hi-tech point-to-point speed cameras to cover entire distance of Brisbane Airport Link tunnel

by: Robyn Ironside From: The Courier-Mail December 13, 2011 12:00AM
MOTORISTS will have to keep a close watch on their speed the entire distance of the Brisbane Airport Link tunnel because the new toll road will use hi-tech point-to-point cameras.

The technology works by clocking the time it takes a vehicle to cover a certain distance to gauge whether or not it it has been travelling in excess of the speed limit.

The company responsible for the 6.7km strip has confirmed it is working with Queensland Police to set up the point-to-point cameras at either end of the tunnel as soon as the technology is ready.

In addition, six fixed-speed cameras would be installed throughout the tunnel.

But operators moved to assure drivers they would not be hit with multiple fines.

"Even though there may be multiple cameras operating, the QPS will be issuing a single infringement notice to any motorist detected speeding in the tunnel," said the spokesman. My comment and pigs will fly!!!

Airport round trip toll to cost $18 My comment FAIL !! just like Clem 7!!
Tour the Airport Link Tunnel
Road link traffic flow up in the air

Despite trialling point-to-point technology on the Bruce Highway between Beerburrum and Landsborough since early last year, police have been unable to get it working as it should.

However, an announcement is expected before Christmas that the highway cameras will soon begin operating properly.

Paul Turner, from Queensland's peak motoring body RACQ, said they supported point-to-point technology, provided it was used in partnership with adequate signage.

"We think point-to-point cameras are fairer because they take an average speed over the trip," said Mr Turner.

"It is very important people don't exceed the speed limit in a tunnel environment because it can be potentially very dangerous."

Mr Turner said confusion over signage had caused problems in the Clem7 Tunnel and the Logan Motorway, and the RACQ hoped this would not be repeated at Airport Link.

Police were forced to withdraw more than 500 tickets issued in the Clem7 tunnel because of a misplaced speed sign, and dozens more motorists are challenging their fines from the tunnel in court.

Michelle Barisic, from BrisConnections, said speed cameras were a "reliable road safety measure that contributed to improved road safety".

"BrisConnections supports their use within the tunnel, for that purpose," she said.

The $4.8 billion Airport Link is due for completion in June next year and it is predicted that up to 136,000 vehicles a day will use the tunnel within a month of it opening.

Old 13-12-2011, 01:56 AM   #2
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Hi-tech point-to-point speed cameras to cover entire distance of Brisbane Airport Lin

only 1 thing wrong with that story...... the predicted vehicle volumes to use the tunnel..... LOL
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2011, 02:00 AM   #3
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Hi-tech point-to-point speed cameras to cover entire distance of Brisbane Airport Lin

Put 'em on the gateway bridge, no one slows down to 80, I've been monstered
many times by trucks and B doubles going at least 15-20 over rushing past....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2011, 02:15 AM   #4
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Point to point are so dangerous. Try driving to Bathurst, all the cars bunch up as each one doesnt want to overtake and break the speed limit. You now have 15 to 30 cars at 100kmh all with 10m of each other, it is utterly stupid. Before the point to point camera everyone kept a distance and overtook if they came across a slower car.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Whats more dangerous than speeding in a tunnel? Not watching where you are going because you are staring at your speedo in fear of being fined.

Use cruise control? I find cruise control virtually useless on the motorway, nobody can stick to the one speed so you have to keep cancelling it anyway
Old 13-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Despite trialling point-to-point technology on the Bruce Highway between Beerburrum and Landsborough since early last year, police have been unable to get it working as it should.
translation: it didn't ping enough motorists for speeding

i think average speed might work better than spot cameras. if you had it along a long stretch of a fwy, you could still overtake and travel at normal speed and not be 'speeding'. if in doubt, drive at 90 for a short distance to alter your average. at least, that's what i get from using the 'average speed calculator' in the dash.
Old 13-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Point to point are so dangerous. Try driving to Bathurst, all the cars bunch up as each one doesnt want to overtake and break the speed limit. You now have 15 to 30 cars at 100kmh all with 10m of each other, it is utterly stupid. Before the point to point camera everyone kept a distance and overtook if they came across a slower car.
You are correct. The Bruce Highway stretch is the same. I dont think its working 100% yet as they volume of traffic overwhelms the system. The traffic all doing 110 sits nose to tail with an idiot up front who does not realise they can drive with having to have a pedal pressed. Accelerator, brake, Accelerator, brake, Accelerator, brake, with the effect being amplified down the line. There is nothing you can do to get passed.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #8
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Except that point to point camera only does heavy vehicles.
lockieoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2011, 10:17 AM   #9
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockieoc
Not so , changes are coming but the simplest solution is actively refuse to use tollways and pay sites , hitting corupt govcos in the wallet works as evidenced by the Qld scumgovernment being broke
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2011, 10:27 AM   #10
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
only 1 thing wrong with that story...... the predicted vehicle volumes to use the tunnel..... LOL
Another white elephant.
I guess if you use the airport link you cant avoid the camera, whereas the ones at Beerburrum, on the Nth bound side can be avoided by simply taking the exit at Mobil then rejoining on the otherside
Old 13-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #11
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

QLDers should be writing to their local MPs and telling them you don't want another tool for the government to revenue raise!!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2011, 10:44 AM   #12
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Another white elephant.
I guess if you use the airport link you cant avoid the camera, whereas the ones at Beerburrum, on the Nth bound side can be avoided by simply taking the exit at Mobil then rejoining on the otherside
See the Mobil trick all the time. I bet in the not to distant future they put in traffic calming measures to deter people from doing it lol.

I also bet that the airport side of the tunnel will be littered with confusing signage to confuse visitors into the tunnel.
But seriously who is going to use this new tunnel. Northsiders can just jump on the gateway (or Rode Rd -Link Rd) down to the airport as can southsiders. Inner cityers can take the gateway or Kingsford Smith drive, So that only leaves the western suburbs, who for the time being still have to get to the city anyway. The predictions are a massive Fail.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #13
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
And before that, we drove to the conditions under (//) on that road. Speed limits alone on highways equal - 'trains of vehicles' or the creation of 'platoons'. Add-in obvious and advertised speed detection, you amplify the effect.

And get angrier more frustrated, rude drivers. Afterall, treat people like poo and .....

Quote:
That would be Safe-T-Cam. (SA adopted this sytem and NSW & SA passed data interchange regulations so as to co-operate). Each technology is capable of detecting even motorbike plates btw. Safe-T-Cam was doing so shortly after 1996 - Then RTA felt they couldn't 'ignore' detected non heavy speeds, and would send out cautions, asking the registered owner to show cause as to why their unregistered vehicle was on say the F3 at xx time. See NSW Privacy Commissioner.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 13-12-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2011, 11:21 AM   #14
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft

That would be Safe-T-Cam. (SA adopted this sytem and NSW & SA passed data interchange regulations so as to co-operate). Each technology is capable of detecting even motorbike plates btw. Safe-T-Cam was doing so shortly after 1996 - Then RTA felt they couldn't 'ignore' detected non heavy speeds, and would send out cautions, asking the registered owner to show cause as to why their unregistered vehicle was on say the F3 at xx time. See NSW Privacy Commissioner.
No its a point to point camera with the big "Average speed safety camera" posted next to it unlike the others which are refereed to as Safe T Cams
Old 13-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #15
rochey

so whats the go with these spot to spot on the bruce highway? when i drive back down to brisbane im always speeding, the only times im on the limit is in the very dangerous 90 kmh area and going through the small towns. but back to those spot to spot on the bruce i have not seen any fines in the mail yet from it
rochey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
QLDers should be writing to their local MPs and telling them you don't want another tool for the government to revenue raise!!
We will be doing that in March......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #17
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Im pretty sure it does all cars now, it looks like a series of redlight cameras - not the usual SafeTCam you see for trucks. I was there three weeks ago and it is certainly sign posted in a way that it applies to all cars. It definately changed driver behaivour so that all cars started bunching up - mark my words that point to point camera will cause a serious accident on that road one day.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2011, 01:25 PM   #18
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Im pretty sure it does all cars now, it looks like a series of redlight cameras - not the usual SafeTCam you see for trucks. I was there three weeks ago and it is certainly sign posted in a way that it applies to all cars. It definately changed driver behaivour so that all cars started bunching up - mark my words that point to point camera will cause a serious accident on that road one day.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety...ras/index.html

As you can see, just heavy vehicles.
No doubt that they may move to catching cars but at this point in time only truckies should be worried.
Old 13-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #19
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The existing tunnel under the Brisbane river is littered with cameras. As a truck driver I stay 10km/hr under teh limit as the first bit is downhill and gravity speeds up the truck.
As for trucks speeding on the gateway we are a bit over going up the hill sometimes to keep momentum and not lose too much speed.
On another note I followed a 6 tonne truck from Nudgee to Wishart on the Gateway.I could see his head was down as he drove and I assume he was texting.
He was swerving 1 metre into right and left adjacent lanes and was very lucky he did not collide. Dumb, dumb, dumb. The truck i drive is fitted with front facing camera and one on the driver_I do not text and a $92 bluetooth is a good investment.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #20
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
We will be doing that in March......
Capatain Blight can hold of the election until June !!!! the sooner the better!!!
Old 13-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #21
XWGT