Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-07-2010, 07:24 PM   #91
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan
Do you live in Brisbane. are you a tiler. if you are i hope you do charge for compo beds. i do but it is hard when competing with all the so called tilers and some so called builders.
I would love to talk with you any day you like. send a private messages for that.

Yes, I am a Brisbane Tiler. Are you?

Tilers who don't charge for topping, usually don't know what they are doing. I laugh at tight people who won't pay what a job is worth. I have plenty of work to not worry about it.

Back on topic.

The AU onwards utes are not full chassis?? Now I'm confused, as my last 2 had a chassis under the rear. Are they a seperate chassis to the front rails?

I have seen some shocking things in utes. It seems people think that if it fits in the space provided, it must be safe. I would have loved to see how low that rear was before it let go.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 11:21 PM   #92
Brendo_GSUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Perfectly normal to have that kind of angle on the Holden IRS... HAHA

at least hes now in the market for a Ford!
Brendo_GSUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 11:41 PM   #93
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have no qaulms with leaf springs, i`d rather have leafs than irs in a wagon or ute any day, cheaper to repair if the need ever arises even though they are almost indestructable for the most part, axle bearings easy to change, generally lighter, i think more space in the load area between the wheel arches.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 11:45 PM   #94
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
The AU onwards utes are not full chassis?? Now I'm confused, as my last 2 had a chassis under the rear. Are they a seperate chassis to the front rails?
No Falcon ute has had a full chassis. Apart from those 4x4 XY utes from the 1970's. What you see with the AU-onwards "cab chassis" utes is a sort-of hybrid setup where a rear ladder chassis section is joined to the front half of a passenger car. The cabin and front end is still the same standard monocoque/unitary construction as the sedan and the rear ladder section is mated to the floorpan monocoque of the car early in the manufacturing process from separate stampings. As opposed to Holden's method with its recent one tonner that bolted the whole rear section to the cabin.

Ford essentially has a flexible modular platform design and manufacturing process where three different vehicle types (sedan, ute, wagon) were able to be made off the one platform in the one assembly plant, on the one assembly line.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 11:57 PM   #95
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
No Falcon ute has had a full chassis. Apart from those 4x4 XY utes from the 1970's. What you see with the AU-onwards "cab chassis" utes is a sort-of hybrid setup where a rear ladder chassis section is joined to the front half of a passenger car. The cabin and front end is still the same standard monocoque/unitary construction as the sedan and the rear ladder section is mated to the floorpan monocoque of the car early in the manufacturing process from separate stampings. As opposed to Holden's method with its recent one tonner that bolted the whole rear section to the cabin.

Ford essentially has a flexible modular platform design and manufacturing process where three different vehicle types (sedan, ute, wagon) were able to be made off the one platform in the one assembly plant, on the one assembly line.
Thanks for clearing that up, I saw the rails at the rear of my 2 old utes and just assumed that they ran from front to rear. Never bothered to right under and check.
Old 16-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #96
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Yes, I am a Brisbane Tiler. Are you?

Tilers who don't charge for topping, usually don't know what they are doing. I laugh at tight people who won't pay what a job is worth. I have plenty of work to not worry about it.

Back on topic.

I have seen some shocking things in utes. It seems people think that if it fits in the space provided, it must be safe. I would have loved to see how low that rear was before it let go.
Yes i have been a Tiler for 30 years. i work Brisbane, gold coast & Toowoomba.
I don't laugh about people wasting my time. i have had a gut full of that.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #97
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan
Yes i have been a Tiler for 30 years. i work Brisbane, gold coast & Toowoomba.
I don't laugh about people wasting my time. i have had a gut full of that.
I ask what have they been quoted before going to see the job. When I hear dumb things like $40/m for 600x600 porcerlain, I ask why did they call me?
Old 25-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #98
TheyDontWantMus

Default Re: Ambitious load in Holden

seeing as the other thread got locked because it was a repost..

I'm curious as to what weight was actually in the ute?

how are they given their load carrying ratings anyway? surely they must be able to carry above their rated load for a period without catastrophic failure?
TheyDontWantMus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #99
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is why you buy a Ford not a poxy bloody Holden .

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...nt=BA_esky.jpg
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #100
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
This is why you buy a Ford not a poxy bloody Holden .

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...nt=BA_esky.jpg
I tried to copy this -

By doing this -

Twas a succes
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #101
TheyDontWantMus

but the falcon tray is about 180cm long, 110cm wide, and 45cm deep?

filling it with water is about 900kgs, so you're not actually overloading it, or not by much anyway.
TheyDontWantMus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #102
Pub247
Resident F1 Troll

did that on friday to a xh ute very sucessful
Pub247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post