Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #61
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2013 Ford Focus ST First Drive

The point I was trying to make is that if you don't like the fact that it is a manual only vehicle (as has been widely known well before the vehicle was even publicly revealed) then look elsewhere. Complaining on an Australian Ford Forum is going to do absolutely nothing to change the decisions of Ford Europe.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2012, 02:35 AM   #62
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm simply pointing out that by not having an automatic version, Ford are seriously limiting their audience who will simply "look elsewhere" to find an automatic model. Doesn't this concern you in the slightest that they're effectively shutting out more than 50% of potential sales? (and if Golf GTi sales are anything to go by, that figure jumps nearer to 80%)
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2012, 07:24 AM   #63
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Not having a powershift related box is not the end of the world, I much prefer manual anyway.
Though I would like to have been able to test drive one back to back with a manual to compare.
I do think they should have offered one but hey with this type of car it doesn't matter too much.
Old 22-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #64
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Similar to the SHO version of the Taurus, I don't think Ford cares how many ST versions of the Focus it sells. They're not supposed to be volume leaders. They exist merely to draw attention to the Taurus and Focus.

In the US, Ford has a recent history of not offering automatics in its top-line performance cars (original Taurus SHO; Mustang Cobra, GT500, and Boss 302; SVT Contour; and SVT Focus). Ford also has a history of not offering a manual transmission in certain performance vehicles (F-150 Lightning and current SHO). I guess they figure if you want the performance you'll take what you can get.

But it could be that they don't have an automatic transaxle that can handle the torque of the Focus ST that will fit in the Focus (I assume the Taurus transaxle could, but it may not fit).
Old 22-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #65
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
Lol, no bias or anything.
Out of your 'competitors there's only one Id chose and that's the GTi Golf. But in Wils earlier post I'd also consider the VXR and MPS. There's no way I'd consider a Cruze, CRZ or a mini.
I'm not biased just those otherwise don't make the cut
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #66
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
Doesn't this concern you in the slightest that they're effectively shutting out more than 50% of potential sales?
Not particularly.

Ford never had any trouble moving the old ST (XR5 to us) which was manual only.

It was a very high volume seller in Europe in fact.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post