Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
alokin123

Default another key cut

not sure if this is the right section but i currently have a 2002 toyota corolla for which i am looking to get another key cut. A few years ago the original key i was given shell started to crack so i was afraid of completely breaking the shell when trying to start the car so I called up Toyota and they said it would cost $500 for another key so at the time i went to my local locksmith and he cut me another key which i use to open the doors on the car using the key hole and to start the car, so i effectivley lost keyless entry or remote locking or which ever its called.
I still have the original key with the cracked shell but i havent used it since getting this other key cut. I am planning on selling my car and wouldnt mind having the original key or similar made so that the car can be opened using keyless entry like it used to.
any hints? Would my original key still work? Do any locksmiths do this sort of thing at a better price than the original manufacturer?

alokin123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: another key cut

I bought a new key with shell on ebay got it cut and swapped the guts out from the old key to the new one.
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
alokin123

thanks for the tip. I have seen websites that sell the shells, i'm just not sure if i could use my original keys which i havent used in a few years? I just dont want to end up not being able to start my car
Old 27-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
alokin123

I mean would i have renedered my original key useless by having a another key cut?
Old 27-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
mitsas17

i had a similar issue.
go to a locksmith, take your cracked key less entry remote and tell the locksmith you want another remote.
cost about $70
They are able to sync the two remotes and the new remote will even open your boot if the original key has that option..

hope that helped
mitsas17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
alokin123

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsas17
i had a similar issue.
go to a locksmith, take your cracked key less entry remote and tell the locksmith you want another remote.
cost about $70
They are able to sync the two remotes and the new remote will even open your boot if the original key has that option..

hope that helped
Thanks, hopefully the cost is reasonable.
Old 28-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
maccaxr

hi mate as a locksmith i can tell you all your after is the shell with a blank key attached i see this all the time, cracking where the screw is.. we charge $50 cut with the remote swapped over and thats nzd. for that year corolla its hit or miss weather it has a transponder or not but thats either in the remote aswell or a seperate chip that can be swapped over anyway. also watch when they put your new key together if they do the screw up too tight your back to square one again! hope this helped.
Old 28-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
t_holt69

Agreed, I work for Toyota, and from what you have described, it is just a key shell you are after, Whomever told you it was a whole key has having you on, as long as the remote works and isn't damaged, you can swap it over, all you have to do is cut the key, swap the internals and you're good to go.
Old 28-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
alokin123

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccaxr
hi mate as a locksmith i can tell you all your after is the shell with a blank key attached i see this all the time, cracking where the screw is.. we charge $50 cut with the remote swapped over and thats nzd. for that year corolla its hit or miss weather it has a transponder or not but thats either in the remote aswell or a seperate chip that can be swapped over anyway. also watch when they put your new key together if they do the screw up too tight your back to square one again! hope this helped.
Thanks for the advice. I've seen the shells on ebay for realtively cheap so i guess i might try and buy one and see what happens.
Old 28-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #10
alokin123

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_holt69
Agreed, I work for Toyota, and from what you have described, it is just a key shell you are after, Whomever told you it was a whole key has having you on, as long as the remote works and isn't damaged, you can swap it over, all you have to do is cut the key, swap the internals and you're good to go.
Hi t_holt69, so the fact that i had another basic key cut at the time and left the original cracking shell key unused for 3 years wont make a difference? It would still be able to unlock/lock my car and start the engine if i just got another shell and went to the Locksmith with the original?
Old 28-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
t_holt69

as long as the original remote was working (battery may be flat now) then yes, I see no reason why you shouldn't just be able to put the internals into a new shell...