Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-12-2005, 07:37 PM   #31
gmhdriver
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BargeEA
This is weird, i have been in almost both of the complete opposite situations. A mate of mine bought a VY Ex-Cop car V6 auto and that couldnt rip a standie unless it was wet, yet my old barge CFI EA stationwagon melted a three week old pirelli almost into a slick!
IRS + Traction control + more powerful rear brakes + 225 rubber.

Just because a car won't spin the wheels in the spot doesn't necessarily mean it's underpowered, just that it has more traction and resistance to wheelspin.
gmhdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2005, 07:39 PM   #32
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhdriver

Just because a car won't spin the wheels in the spot doesn't necessarily mean it's underpowered, just that it has more traction and resistance to wheelspin.

Isn't it also heaps heavier than cars in the VN and EA days??

something like 1200kg to 1650kg??
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2005, 07:41 PM   #33
gmhdriver
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Isn't it also heaps heavier than cars in the VN and EA days??

something like 1200kg to 1650kg??
Yep thanks, forgot to add that.
Old 17-12-2005, 07:45 PM   #34
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My 5 speed VL wont spin probably because I havent tried to lol.

Nah one time it did do a bit of a smoky coming out of a street but ive never layed any rubber down with it.

Its got the power too but seriously f**k risking stuffing it up just for a lame *** burnout.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2005, 09:33 PM   #35
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

well, i had 215's on my wagon, and i'm sure it was the heaviest ea in history, with the gas tank hanging over the diff! and i am very sure the vy doesnt have traction control, its only an executive, probably just a patrol car, no highway chaser or anything. but i guess it is the brakes thing too though. the ea used to actually slide on the locked front tyres when the standie wasnt going to happen!
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2005, 09:44 PM   #36
Fairmont I6
sideways

surely theres something wrong with the car, my dads auto v6 VX will bag easily, as will my mates auto BA XR6 on 18s
Old 18-12-2005, 12:18 AM   #37
XD-Machine
proud xd owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_futuraistic
if its a company hack, and not your own vehicle. Perhaps try one of these 2 things when you go back to your private country road again.

1.) Flooring it then jump on the brake pedal staright away with ur left foot. (may spin)

2.) Get 2 hose clamps, crawl under the vehicle and clamp the 2 brake hoses going to the rear calipers ***hightly illegal and not recommended.

Unfortuneately as everyone has said there is the computer, the IRS, the cars weight, the brakes all working against you. I wouldnt just blame the motor and im sure if u put it in a earlier commodore it would spin em up fine.
lol thats wot the mechanic wanted me to do cause he wanted me to spin my wheels but i said f off and did one later on in a customers car lol

My XD's progress http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=20847
XD-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2005, 10:32 AM   #38
GTS_300_Coupe
Mandy Moore FTW!

Its even more entertaining pulling a skid in a rental car.
Couple of mates of mine and myself went on a trip up to Cairns and took a VY executive for the travel, those things hammer going sideways. :
GTS_300_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2005, 06:59 PM   #39
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

Tell him to get a EB mine dose a good job at it
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2005, 08:18 PM   #40
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:

no Trac Ctrl on V6 exec's dude.

BA XT stock will do a stand still, have done it in 3 so far with no drama's

VZ i dont know the SV6 i drove i couldnt get it to do after repeated attempts but they really have no balls till 4000+rpm either.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2005, 10:28 PM   #41
Bobman
Regulator

Ba's in auto are bloody hard to get spinning, if they don't have an 8 or a turbo in them..... I've only managed one successful decent burnout in my BA however I won't repeat that, tyres aren't cheap ;)
but my AU will always be up for a chirp.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2005, 12:02 AM   #42
gmhdriver
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
no Trac Ctrl on V6 exec's dude
It is optional though, and an ex cop car is more likely to have it as police cars are usually optioned up with all the safety options such as side airbags, traction control etc etc.
Old 19-12-2005, 12:58 AM   #43
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

^^ yet to see an exec even in police pack with T/C, i work in the car industry and have traded plenty and seen 1000's in the auctions none of which have ever had T/C fitted.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2005, 04:24 AM   #44
gmhdriver
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
They are heap Daewoos as far as im concerned... Anyone who lowers themself to drive one either gets it for free (company car) or bought it cause their great grandfather always bought Holdens, theres nothing *good* about the car really!
That has got to go down as one of the most one eyed narrow minded statements I have ever read. No offence but you really need to get out more mate..
I'm sure thousands of happy and satisfied Commodore owners out there would love to disagree with you too.
Seriously, Commodores and Falcons are built to a price and a purpose and for what they are they do it extremely well. There was nothing wrong with the VY Ecotec and there is certainly nothing wrong with the Alloytec V6. The only problem that I see is that some people expect too much - they want V8 supercar performance, the ability to rev to 10,000 rpm and the ability to do burnouts like a funny car, while at the same time expect it to have the smoothness and silence of an electric motor, all from a standard base model car.
How many people go out and but a Commodore Executive and go out and run it down the track or do burnouts in it all day or rev it to 6000rpm everywhere they go?
While the Falcon may be more refined, the difference is nowhere near as big as it cracked up to be. The Commodore is still an adequately powerful, comfortable, spacious, smooth and quiet car which does the job it is meant to extremely well, hence why people are buying them.

Most Commodore owners I have spoken to are more than happy with their cars and would buy another one without hesitation. It seems for some reason that it is Ford owners who are doing the most complaining.
I just wish that people would take their blinkers off and stop being so ignorant, one eyed and narrow minded.

Last edited by gmhdriver; 19-12-2005 at 04:31 AM.
Old 19-12-2005, 05:25 AM   #45
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in the new SSZ utes they have traction control ALWAYS ENABLED..

you CANT turn it off
well according to my mate who just brought 1.. but dunno if there is a way 2 turn it off that he hasnt discovered yet..

but aye.. it does a good chirp or what ever he rekons.. still lays smoke.. just not as long or as good as it should
blackers10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2005, 08:50 AM   #46
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Some interesting comments from the original post... obviously it was always going to get one of three responses....
- hey guy, don't bash Commodore fleet cars there not meant to go like .....
- hey guy, you're a hoon, stick with your bogan mobile to go quick / drop skids, the Commodores quiet, refined and comfortable...
- Yeh mate, the Commodores a gutless overated bucket ...
Mary (who, as a few have pointed out, was indeed a VZ) was generally quiet, comfortable but not refined. Sounded harsher than the old Ecotec.
I actually quite like some of the GMH product, particularly the HSV gear so no one can suggest that I am a one eyed Ford man. I was genuinely surprised at Mary's lack of grunt, cause electronics or not, it just didn;t feel like 175 KW. Closer to 150 Id reckon. Besides, if the manufacturers can't / won't build modern vehicles with proper strong drivetains, then what gives ? Is it politicle correctness in the age of death on our roads from hooning ? Is it reliability issues with engine, trans or diff ? Or Is it simply that some senior GMH management are stooges and TOOK THE FUN OUT of fleet cars ?
I'm starting to think it's as synister as the first possibility, given the responses from people who have found the same thing even with their SV6 & V8 SS. HSV still have switchable TC I thought, this may be different with the new 297 donk though.
Most of this forums readers have discovered the joy of re - flashed / tuned Falcon 6 and 8 engines, and a lot of the seat of the pants difference before / after comes down to removing the factory ECM's torque reducing strategies, thus illiminating that feeling every now and then (normally after a hard flog) that your XR8 / GT has been dudded some grunt. Or maybe it just used to be heat soak ??? Cause it always used to come "right".Does Holden now employ an even more aggressive take the fun out engine management strategy ?
To be honest, I must be a hoon, 'cause if I'd just dropped 50 K or so on a SSZ and it didn't do a skid, I'd be spewin. Does this mean that it can't be driven with over steer ? The driver never gets a choice... straight or sidewise. Holly , that would have to disasapoint more than just the Hoons, surely. And my tongue and cheek starter to these threads on a forum, which I'd suggest is catering predominantly for people who enjoy their vehicles through modding, tinkering and being ENTHUSED by them was simply to get some thoughts out there.
The day may very well be upon us where pollitical correctness has gone from the road safety campaign (speed related) to the manufacturers themselves. Rev limiters, (not for engine longevity), speed limiters, anti skid protection and smart ECu's are conspiring to achieve removal of the drivers input and control.
As long as they don't mess (at least anymore) with the XR's, the FPV's and all the other sporty stuff i don't care. It's probably best that drivers with little experience can't readily get into hi po cars and get into trouble. But jeez, now I'm sounding like the old man.....

XR8 o3 BA sedan 5 speed, 238 RWKW, CAI, Flash tuned, Exhaust, Herrod suspension, Ap racing brakes, alloys, leather, tint,
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2005, 09:32 AM   #47
Stampy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
A Mate brought around his new car this evening... 2500 km old Alloytec v6 auto. He took me for the allbligatiry ride and we found a quite country back road for the acceleration, handling and smoke test.
Acceleration was ordinary, with second gear in the auto taking FOREVER to wind out (and about two full seconds to perform the 2-3 upshift under acceleration). Transmission generally was lathagic and truelly had a mind of its own. Lucky to be good for a mid 16 I reckon.
Handling was o.k for a fleet pack, understeer dialled into the chassis in the twisties, tyres as per usual on taxi packs were horrible and squelled like the stuck pig....
But do you think Mary would pull a skid. Even a small screachy... no friggin chance. There was know way the V6 would / could have done it. Not against the brake any way, so off we go to find some gravel.
Yes indeed we now had wheel spin, but get it back on the black stuff and it was if Mary - the V6 went all soft.
All she did was bring the revs up to about 1950 against the stall with nothing.... accept a laboured, strained, about to poop itself type of note. And his foot was buried DEEP into the carpet. I offered to have a go, and bloody hell, he was so ****ed, he said righto ! But I could'nt do it, bloody Marry refused to have a go.... I even threatened her with a high speed roll back... by my mate had by about now admitted defeat.
So my mate now wants to send Mary to the crap house. And then he lets on that he picked the boggodoor in faviour of an XR6...
Hmm, bet the Falcon could drop a skid.
RIP Mary. must be worth all of $22,000 now that she's been washed a few times.
Love the Review
You should work for a motor mag
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2005, 09:48 AM   #48
AUSGTI
Das Auto Bitches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
BA's dont go over 3000 in N or Park

they Dont go over 3000 in N
but rev to rev limiter in Park
Old 19-12-2005, 12:53 PM   #49
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
in the new SSZ utes they have traction control ALWAYS ENABLED..
You sure it isn't a company lease car. They seem to have it continuously enabled.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post