Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Hyundai Genesis V8 For Aus..G6E pricing ????

Hyundai Genesis V8 sedan on the cards for Oz

HYUNDAI -1
By Daniel DeGasperi | January 17th, 2013

The rear-wheel-drive V6- and V8-equipped Hyundai Genesis sedan is being strongly considered for an Australian introduction, following confirmation that the next generation model will be built in right-hand-drive.

Speaking at the North American International auto show (NAIAS) in Detroit, Hyundai public relations general manager Bill Thomas told CarAdvice that if given the green light, the Commodore-sized next-gen Genesis sedan would launch in Australia up to a year earlier than the already-confirmed Genesis coupe.

“It would be earlier,” said Thomas of the sedan’s timing in relation to the coupe.

“You might be looking at first or second quarter 2014.

“We don’t have the information to hand when it will start production. What we do know is that [Hyundai] will show the car this time next year at this show [Detroit].

“You would assume the car would be pretty much ready to go from that point.”

“Genesis coupe is definitely coming, but that’s up to two years off,” said Thomas. “I would say early 2015, but there’s no precise timing on it”

While the coupe is confirmed to arrive on local shores, however, a final decision on the sedan will be made within months.

“We’re looking at the whole business case. It’s a matter of looking at the business case, and looking at the pricing potential, and all of that is an unknown at the moment,” said Thomas.

“I think it would be within months [to make a decision]. Certainly months rather than weeks…”

The PR boss also outlined the differences between the US and Australian markets as a reason for the decision not being a straightforward one.

“The difficulty is the fact that in America they’ve got more expensive models than Santa Fe, and that leads up in a natural stepping stone to Genesis. In Australia, we stop at Santa Fe.

“They [the US] also have one [car] above that [Genesis], the Equus, which is even bigger. So you can see why it’s a complicated matter for the Australian market to bring in a car like that, to sit right at the top of the brand…

“The American market is used to having that premium car sitting on top of the range. What we’ve got to do is work out how that brand model works for us in Australia.”

The Hyundai HCD-14 Genesis concept (pictured above) shown at this year’s Detroit show is pegged as a “spiritual preview” of the next Genesis, the show car – with aggressive detailing, no B-pillars and suicide doors – not an accurate reflection of the production car.

Introduced in the US in 2008, the current Genesis sedan (pictured top) is 4.98m long, 1.89m wide and 1.48m tall – by comparison, the Holden Commodore measures 90mm less in length and height, but matches the Hyundai’s width.

In the US, however, the Genesis sedan retails as a fully-loaded variant for $46,800, barely $1K less than a BMW 528i sedan, which sells in Australia for $90K. There is, of course, the possibility of introducing a lesser-equipped variant of the Genesis sedan in Australia to curb costs.

“We don’t know how the [next generation] car is going to be priced, or how it will be equipped,” responded Thomas to that scenario.

“We haven’t seen the specifications of the car.”

Consensus among motoring journalists at the Detroit motor show was that Hyundai would need to position the Genesis sedan as a sub-$60,000 alternative to the Holden Calais and Ford Falcon G6E, in a similar position to the Chrysler 300.

The current Genesis sedan uses 3.3- and 3.8-litre V6, and 4.6- and 5.0-litre V8 engines, linked to an eight-speed automatic. Thomas said that if the current engine options were carried over to the new car, then “ideally we’d want the V8 and the V6.

“That will be two engine variants, [but] other than that we don’t know whether there will be individual models within that…”

The decision on variants, and indeed the feasibility of the car itself, will likely come down to the deal Hyundai Motor Company Australia (HMCA) can secure from Korea, where the car will be built. While declining to comment on target pricing, Thomas reiterated that the Genesis sedan must be competitive to be viable.

“It’s got to sell. It’s got to make money. It has to make sense from a business case…”
http://www.caradvice.com.au/209127/h...edan-cards-oz/

My comment "and the V8 is dead ?? no-one told Hyundai !! 300C V8 (coming)>Holden and now Hyundai.."
XR8...G8E ???? not a snowballs chance in hell!!!! I am not including HSV or FPV...." interesting times ahead!!!!

Last edited by csv8; 09-02-2013 at 12:54 PM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Default Re: Hyundai Genesis V8 For Aus..G6E pricing ????

IMO need to fix the styling, I suspect everything else would be fine (maybe suspension a little soft).

Hers
BFII Ghia

Last edited by GQ_Smooth; 21-01-2013 at 02:32 PM.
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

I thought big cars didnt sell in Australia? Let alone V8's.........
Old 21-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Looks so much like a Merc its not funny. They should tweak their styling. Merc will blush a the flattery, i.e imitation is the highest form of flattery.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
pmacc

as much as Hyundai has improved over the years i cannot see a business case for this model here. the market is hard enough for the established models
pmacc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They sold 33,000 of these in the US last year so its not a big seller.
Would they sell 100 a month here?.
Mighty Reds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Reds View Post
If the price is right!

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT View Post
I thought big cars didnt sell in Australia? Let alone V8's.........
It is peoples perception of value for money. big cars will sell if considered value for money. Compare a Chrysler 300>G6>Berlina..300C>G6E>Calais..300/300C has more kit for a lot less $$$$.
Not bagging Ford but Holden as well, have dropped the value of their big cars. Charge premium price for mid range spec.....FG 2 or FH ? & VF will need a lift in spec without increasing price. Time will tell......
Old 21-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

While I do like the current model, I'd wait for the model that might come here to pass final judgement - it's all-new, so there could be some surprises...
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #10
ltd
Force Fed Fords

G6E pricing hey?

Wouldn't that then put it up against the likes of Toyota and the aurion, holden and chrysler?

Sorry, but for that 40K plus bracket I think one with that kind of money is entitled to a little brand snobbery. A 40K plus Korean car doth not an impression make to the brand conscious. After all, the reason for success with the Korean brands all started from an aggressive price point.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
G6E pricing hey?

Wouldn't that then put it up against the likes of Toyota and the aurion, holden and chrysler?

Sorry, but for that 40K plus bracket I think one with that kind of money is entitled to a little brand snobbery. A 40K plus Korean car doth not an impression make to the brand conscious. After all, the reason for success with the Korean brands all started from an aggressive price point.
There was once a time when Japanese cars were cheap and crappy.

No one would ever buy a Japanese car over a Holden or Falcon, especially those who are prestige or reliability conscious.

A cheap 4 cylinder sports car like the 86? No market for that in Australia....

A $40k equivalent of a Lexus ISF or Nissan Infinity will just walk out the doors......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #12
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
G6E pricing hey?

Ha, Toyota, Ford, Chrysler and Holden and brand snobbery...thanks for the laugh.
Old 21-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #13
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they can price this car at around 45+ I should be able to get into a 2015 Mustang GT for around 40-45 grand (I can dream right).
Old 21-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #14
Kenay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I want The Coupe :(

Recovered - BA Rebuild LS1 T56
Kenay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #15
Tokyo Geoff
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think I'd buy just about ANY brand V8 coupe if they made one that didn't cost more than a coon.
Geoff
Tokyo Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #16
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Reds View Post
How did it go the year prior? Was that the same year it got 'Car of the year ' in the States?

I was a passenger in the first series model in Korea a few years ago and it was a very pleasant experience... Equal to much higher brands in terms of performance and refinement.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #17
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
How did it go the year prior? Was that the same year it got 'Car of the year ' in the States?

I was a passenger in the first series model in Korea a few years ago and it was a very pleasant experience... Equal to much higher brands in terms of performance and refinement.
2010 US sales were around 29,000, 2011 33,000.
Last year Chrysler 300 sales were about 71,000, that was a significant jump on 2011.
This user likes this post:
Old 21-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #18
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
There was once a time when Japanese cars were cheap and crappy.

No one would ever buy a Japanese car over a Holden or Falcon, especially those who are prestige or reliability conscious.

A cheap 4 cylinder sports car like the 86? No market for that in Australia....

A $40k equivalent of a Lexus ISF or Nissan Infinity will just walk out the doors......

Back in that day there was very little option to a Ford or a Holden. How many car brands are here now?
As a car enthusiast I'm not even going to talk about the quality, I haven't seen it or been in it, so it would be stupidly speculative.

That said, there seems to be a resurgence of Jeep and other Chrysler models, small Audi's, Subaru's and Volkswagen's in that price range and simply put, those who are either devoid of finances for an expensive euro or smart enough to realise euro's are over-taxed garbage would probably prefer the street cred of something non korean.
How many Chinese or Indian people do you know that would buy a Hyundai over the same money for a Camry or Aurion?
How many Aussies do you know that would do the same over a Ford or a Holden - Aussie business owners pushing the Australian Made and Owned philosophy? Yes, your middle class person has snobbery too, even if it is a C180, a BMW 1 series or an Audi A3.

Me, if I drove it and loved it I'd probably buy it but then, I don't care what my neighbours think.

Quote: