Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #61
GTP-RPD
GTP-RPD

Default Re: What Makes A Police Car Cost $120k ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT View Post
In your opinion, what is your area of expertise that qualifies you to deem what is excessive expenditure in law enforcement and what is not? Any item procured by any police, ambulance or fire service is approved at departmental level in consultation with the respective government, not just picked up from the local autobarn on a whim.

If you are really that worried, do the correct thing and request the information from your respective police service under the freedom of information act (or state equivalent). You have a right to the information and through the correct channels you will receive it, a lot quicker than you will through a rant here.

$120k for a HWP car as a replacement for a total loss (routine replacement is not a total loss and does not cost that much) does not seem very high to me. Just the radio fit would be in the region of $5k alone. Have you bought a ballistic vest recently, they cost a fortune alone? Our normal ambulances (Merc 319) cost in the vicinity of $250k, $120k for a HWP car sounds reasonable to me.

Strange how any thread that even mentions the police here ends up a cop bashing thread.

To begin with I am quite certain I wasn't cop bashing. Moreso the expenditure of govt departments was my issue. I also have experience in reading annual reports and P&L statements. It is what I am qualified in. Additionally all this information does not require FOI as it is published by these departments. What you and I the TAXPAYER do not have access to is the details of procurement that is done without in most cases public scrutiny. Eg the new digital two way radio debacle for emergency services a few years ago here in Sth Australia.

But hey if you are ok with that good for you.
GTP-RPD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #62
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Whatever, so you know the technical aspects of ballistic armour, plate recognition systems, their computer systems etc? If so I am glad you do because I don't.

While you are at it is it ok that we spend $17k per life pack monitor, $7k per stretcher and $5k per stair chair? I wound not want our service to exceed your expectations on what is reasonable expenditure on operational equipment.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #63
GTP-RPD
GTP-RPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Being public service there is really no need to look at ROI... They are there to serve a purpose... Most police cars don't need new equipment as its transferred from the last vehicle... A standard commodore omega with safety pack probably costs the gov 25k as they get fleet, gst exemption and stamp duty exemption. To put it on the road would probably cost about a weeks labour and $1,500 worth of stickers. Say another $1,000 for trims any loose bits... Total cost $30,000 plus let's say they get 6 years out of the radios and other equipment which probably costs no more then $40,000 on a standard spec general duty car... Amortise that over 6 years and lets say each car lasts only 2 then that portion to that specific car is $13,333. Total cost for this car in its 2 years service is $43,333 less $14,000 back on it is only a touch under $30,000 for 2 years service.

Whoa there, no need to look at ROI? They do, it is called current Assets and non current assets and current liabilities and non-current liabilities including the big one capital investment along with net gain of disposal of assets and don't forget federal funding.

Now without boring the living daylights out of you here is a bit of how it works from SAPOL.

Current assets decreased in 2008/09 by $16.212m. This mainly reflects a decrease in cash which is consistent with the budget.
Non-current assets of $243.87m mainly reflects building and improvements ($133.30m), land ($55.14m) with the remaining assets including transport related, communications and computing, and intangible assets.
Current liabilities are budgeted to decrease in 2009/10 due to a reduction in accrued salaries and wages as a result of there being 27 pays in 2009/10.
The increase in total liabilities of $31.355m in 2008/09 mainly reflects increases in workers compensation, long service leave and annual leave liabilities. Greater detail is provided in Section 5.
As at 30 June 2009 SAPOL is reporting equity of $1.461m. The decrease of $46.209m from 30 June 2008 mainly reflects increases in the level of employee related provisions including salary and wages, annual and long service leave, and workers compensation, that are calculated using guidelines determined as part of government policy, or through a whole of government actuarial assessment in the case of workers compensation, and a decrease in cash.

SAPOL’s significant operating expenses are accommodation, computing and communications and motor vehicles, comprising approximately 11% of total expenditure.

Ah hell I am bringing work home.. Im going for a drive.. Se ya boys.
GTP-RPD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #64
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really don't understand the constant contradiction of the public. They want cops to do their job and lock up criminals but don't want them to be sufficiently equipped to do so because it costs money. Err isn't that what taxes are for?
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #65
Wade
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
That looks more like something out of a comedy sketch!

This picture, from Europe, says a couple of things:

1. The patrol car is pretty low key, all that's necessary to do its job (including over 200 km/h speed)
2. A car is overtaking it, quite relaxed.

I won't say anything else, just read between the lines! And it's not Australian police-bashing, they're just doing the job they've been briefed to do, it's about the people who employ them and create the environment in which they work.
I think you will find that is a Mondeo ST220 and that he is about to overtake the wagon :P
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #66
Dangerjim04

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
I really don't understand the constant contradiction of the public. They want cops to do their job and lock up criminals but don't want them to be sufficiently equipped to do so because it costs money. Err isn't that what taxes are for?
Exactly! I cant seem to think of one piece of unnecessary equipment in a police vehicle. Stuff costs money, its just the way it works.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #67
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
It is like that in all the emergency services in all states. People don't want to pay for it but they all want emergency services in a moments notice, highly skilled and equipped with the latest tech when they need them. Any other time the emergency services cost too much.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #68
mex351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow what a thread this turned out to be...
mex351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #69
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-RPD View Post
Whoa there, no need to look at ROI? They do, it is called current Assets and non current assets and current liabilities and non-current liabilities including the big one capital investment along with net gain of disposal of assets and don't forget federal funding.

Now without boring the living daylights out of you here is a bit of how it works from SAPOL.

Current assets decreased in 2008/09 by $16.212m. This mainly reflects a decrease in cash which is consistent with the budget.
Non-current assets of $243.87m mainly reflects building and improvements ($133.30m), land ($55.14m) with the remaining assets including transport related, communications and computing, and intangible assets.
Current liabilities are budgeted to decrease in 2009/10 due to a reduction in accrued salaries and wages as a result of there being 27 pays in 2009/10.
The increase in total liabilities of $31.355m in 2008/09 mainly reflects increases in workers compensation, long service leave and annual leave liabilities. Greater detail is provided in Section 5.
As at 30 June 2009 SAPOL is reporting equity of $1.461m. The decrease of $46.209m from 30 June 2008 mainly reflects increases in the level of employee related provisions including salary and wages, annual and long service leave, and workers compensation, that are calculated using guidelines determined as part of government policy, or through a whole of government actuarial assessment in the case of workers compensation, and a decrease in cash.

SAPOL’s significant operating expenses are accommodation, computing and communications and motor vehicles, comprising approximately 11% of total expenditure.

Ah hell I am bringing work home.. Im going for a drive.. Se ya boys.
Thank you for that Sir Humphrey.

Policing is supposed to be about safety not revenue.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #70
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Not what the bean counters will have you believe.