Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lightbulb 2014 Transit

When we get the RWD variant, will we get the 3.5 Ecoboost as per the States? I think we should, because alot of these are used as ambulances. Think how many lives could be saved if the ambulance has the power to get to the hospital 10 minutes earlier or more.

...Also, a 3.5 twin turbo v6 in a van is just plain cool.

Last edited by FalconXV; 10-02-2013 at 08:37 AM.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 02:55 AM   #2
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2014 Transit

What does everyone think, should we get the twin turbo Transit?
Old 11-02-2013, 03:16 AM   #3
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where will this one be made?
Turkey? Spain?
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 03:22 AM   #4
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The US-spec version will be made in Kansas City, Missouri.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Imagine the carnage if the couriers got their hands on the ecoboost model
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV View Post
When we get the RWD variant, will we get the 3.5 Ecoboost as per the States? I think we should, because alot of these are used as ambulances. Think how many lives could be saved if the ambulance has the power to get to the hospital 10 minutes earlier or more.

Would be great but imagine the fuel bill eek.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
kempy311
BEN

Quote:

Transits as ambulances I have never seen one all the ones over here are Mercedes sprinters.
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.
12.7 sec stock as a rock with a passenger.
Now with 620rwhp ready to run the 10

built zf, built tailshaft, corn juice all to come.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
kempy311 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

all sprinters here as well.........

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't see the Ecoboost V6 making into Tranies outside of the Americas to be honest. Great to have 365Hp on tap, but when your mainly carting boxes of clothing, food or household stuff, I doubt all that power is needed.

As for ambulance work, performance was once important but now, I think they look for space and economy. The Sprinters are a very large van, have a pretty good power and torque output and the ones here in Victoria have a free BBQ built into them as well!

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/pa...413-1wx7q.html
Old 11-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #10
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Its a good looking tranny, you should find it sells globally and not just in Thailand

But seriously I don't think we'll get the V6 version here, i'd say it will be North America only.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #11
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

V6 Ecoboost Transit is intended to replace V10 E Series I think, so don't see it happening.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I've done the wiring for patient transporters in new Transits and I've done wiring for Ambulances in Mercedes Sprinters.

The Transit is no way near as friendly to run wiring through it as the Sprinter is, the Sprinter even has earth bolts all around the inside to earth out your accessories to, its like its made to be an Ambulance or have lots of extras fitted.

Transit also has nasty sharp edges under the roof lining on the wall where you run wires, good for accidentally creating shorts.

Though the stereo is much better in the Transits than the Sprinters, has a lot more balls and better bass and the manuals are nice to drive.

I'm looking forward to the new Transit, maybe it could be good enough to knock the Sprinter off the top?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #13
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id still prefer the E series van with the V10.
Honestly why the hell did they think a V10 was needed in a commercial van.
Its awesome.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #14
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Its awesome.
You can also get them with the powerstroke diesel. Maybe it has something to do with the Econoline being a hit with serial murderers and rapists, (similar to bonnie and clyde and the flathead V8).

smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #15
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I've done the wiring for patient transporters in new Transits and I've done wiring for Ambulances in Mercedes Sprinters.

The Transit is no way near as friendly to run wiring through it as the Sprinter is, the Sprinter even has earth bolts all around the inside to earth out your accessories to, its like its made to be an Ambulance or have lots of extras fitted.

Transit also has nasty sharp edges under the roof lining on the wall where you run wires, good for accidentally creating shorts.

Though the stereo is much better in the Transits than the Sprinters, has a lot more balls and better bass and the manuals are nice to drive.

I'm looking forward to the new Transit, maybe it could be good enough to knock the Sprinter off the top?
If there's anything an Ambulance need's, it's a pumping stezza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Its awesome.
God bless 'merica. Its about all their good for, stuffing big engines in just about anything
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 05:45 AM   #16
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra
It looks good to be honest, a real all-round quality upgrade.
Well I think the new one is a clean sheet, so hopefully its friendlier But I still hope we get the Ecoboost, even if it looks unlikely. A huge van that can demolish a Commodore SS off the line is hilarious.
This user likes this post:
Old 12-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #17
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Its awesome.
I spent a bit of time in the back of one last year as airport transit (1 hour shuttle to the hotel) with a huge pile of luggage. It was a bit of a "Reverse Tardis", massive on the outside, tiny on the inside. There was only 2 of us, but with 8 pieces of luggage weighing 140kgs, we took the entire 8 seat van up!

The vans we used were all late model, with a massive chrome grill (looked like a Super-Duty F-Series) and 5.4L Tritons. But there wasn't much go, just a lot of noise and revs....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fo...ries_wagon.jpg

The great thing about the Transit is it comes in so many different models, long, short, high and low and a few in between...
Old 13-02-2013, 05:02 AM   #18
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My complaints with the E-series are: 1. they are rattly, 2. no improvement in the last decade, 3. no foot room in the front row (you can't even turn one foot sideways at the front of the passenger footwell). The Transit should be a massive improvement. Ford should do a luxury package, which would be a segment first. I also think the 4.4L V8 diesel should be an option (the one that Ford makes for the Range Rover).
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
If there's anything an Ambulance need's, it's a pumping stezza.

God bless 'merica. Its about all their good for, stuffing big engines in just about anything
Haha, hey we need it when we're building them.
Old 14-02-2013, 01:07 AM   #20
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Sprinters are ridiculously small and narrow. In the US this is a typical ambulance. The front section of the vehicle is based on a medium duty truck chassis, such as a Freightliner, Ford F-550/F-650, and so on. The rear is a custom-built compartment which is almost the size of a small portable building, easily capable of carrying 2 patients side by side, unlike Aussie ambos which can only carry 1.

Also, as you can see, the ambulances can carry up to 5 people up front in the passenger compartment, compared with only 2 up front in an Aussie ambo.

MrZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 02:36 AM   #21
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZ View Post
The Sprinters are ridiculously small and narrow. In the US this is a typical ambulance. The front section of the vehicle is based on a medium duty truck chassis, such as a Freightliner, Ford F-550/F-650, and so on. The rear is a custom-built compartment which is almost the size of a small portable building, easily capable of carrying 2 patients side by side, unlike Aussie ambos which can only carry 1.

Also, as you can see, the ambulances can carry up to 5 people up front in the passenger compartment, compared with only 2 up front in an Aussie ambo.
Interesting. I like the idea of having extra room for patients on board, but it would be not so good at weaving around traffic, aswell as slow and bulky.
Old 14-02-2013, 02:59 AM   #22
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Interesting. I like the idea of having extra room for patients on board, but it would be not so good at weaving around traffic, aswell as slow and bulky.
The odd thing is that the Sprinter is available in a cab chassis variant which allows you to add a custom-made rear section. There's no reason why they couldn't make a larger ambulance based on the Sprinter that carries 2 patients.
Old 14-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #23
kempy311
BEN

Quote:

That seems like total overkill maybe for disaster or something as it wouldn't be needed in the normal every day because it would take that vital couple more minutes to get to a patience that would make all the difference.
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.
12.7 sec stock as a rock with a passenger.
Now with 620rwhp ready to run the 10

built zf, built tailshaft, corn juice all to come.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
kempy311 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #24
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempy311 View Post
That seems like total overkill maybe for disaster or something as it wouldn't be needed in the normal every day because it would take that vital couple more minutes to get to a patience that would make all the difference.
It seems like overkill but they are used as normal day to day ambulances. I was just in the US last month and saw one pull up to my hotel and a single elderly woman (fully concious) was being lifted up on board. Obviously not a real emergency as nobody seemed to be in a rush. Does seem like overkill to send such a huge vehicle to pick up one woman who isn't feeling well!
Old 14-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #25
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

They used to run box body GMC Sierras and then the F250s when they sold here in Australia.

Unsure of why they moved to the Mercedes Sprinter, maybe fuel usage concern?

Also they're not as wide, so they are easier to drive, one of the guys was saying paramedics used to smash off the 240v inlet block all the time on the box bodies.

The interior in the Sprinter is much more modern looking than the old box bodies though.

I find that when we build them, the variant that Ambulance Victoria orders isn't tall enough, its a pain in the *** for anyone over 5'8 to stand up in for longer than 5 minutes because you have to spread out your legs and learn your neck on the side so you don't hit the roof.

Quote:
The odd thing is that the Sprinter is available in a cab chassis variant which allows you to add a custom-made rear section. There's no reason why they couldn't make a larger ambulance based on the Sprinter that carries 2 patients.
Our QLD Bariatric (fat trucks) ambulances have a cab chassis box section on the back, they are so much bigger.

In Victoria you've got Mica Paramedics in Territory's, they come out to the accident quickly, and treat the person at the scene until an ambulance can arrive, so you could have the same setup, except the ambulance based on a prime mover or something.
Old 15-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #26
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah but both our ambo's will survive the trip so we only need 2