Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #31
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Default Re: QPoliceremain tight-lipped on tunnel speed cameras rake in $13k a day

fatal stats for NSW 100 yrs
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety...08_to_2009.pdf

we are getting safer..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #32
Klimate
FPV BA Pursuit Ute

Default Re: QPoliceremain tight-lipped on tunnel speed cameras rake in $13k a day

From the QLD Main Roads website:

"Fixed speed cameras are used in Queensland because of their proven ability to reduce crashes and deter drivers from speeding. They can also enforce speed limits at locations where it is difficult or unsafe to have other types of enforcement, such as police vehicles. As fixed speed cameras do not require an operator they also enable police more time for other duties."

YEAHHHHHHHH!!!!!
Klimate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #33
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67 View Post
and round and round and round we go - what about the xr8 guys . . . who would buy one if ford made one
thats gold right there
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #34
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
Which is keeping the traffic flowing.

The overwhelming majority of crashes occur when traffic is chaotic regardless of whether this is due to weather, contention or any other external influence including speed cameras.

ANYTHING that artificially attempts to change natural behavior of a system introduces chaos to that system.
Do you have any facts to backup your personal opinion??
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #35
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
yes; it well documented that if you introduce something that is unnatural it will interfere with the natural flow.

look at rivers and bridges, those pylon's make terrible eddy's.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #36
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What you mean other than almost every study on traffic management since, well ever.......

This is why traffic lights are syncronised where possible.
Why feeder roads are constructed of appropriate sizes.
It is the basis for all arterial road design.

The thing that always gets in the way is government greed, bureaucratic bloodymindedness and the naivety of simple minded do gooders.

But it is easy for you to disprove me. Go and find an accredited study from anywhere in the world that concludes that traffic is safer when it is chaotic and changing speed abruptly on a regular basis.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #37
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm intersted in your comment "The overwhelming majority of crashes occur when traffic is chaotic ".. Do more deaths happen during peak or out of peak? I'm also not sure how speed cameras create chaotic roads!!
Old 24-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #38
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
yes; it well documented that if you introduce something that is unnatural it will interfere with the natural flow.

look at rivers and bridges, those pylon's make terrible eddy's.
How does a speed camera break from what is 'natural'.. If the limit is the limit & the camera is testing for the limit, then everthing going past should be natural??
Old 24-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #39
EVLKNEVL

http://www.aussiespeedingfines.com/p...e-Cameras.html

For those who wish to be properly informed on the subject rather than choosing to live in 'theory land'
EVLKNEVL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #40
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm intersted in your comment "The overwhelming majority of crashes occur when traffic is chaotic ".. Do more deaths happen during peak or out of peak? I'm also not sure how speed cameras create chaotic roads!!
Well as I stated above, look it up yourself. There are hundreds of white papers, research documents and even quite a number of doctoral theses on the subject.

But then again the same can be said for evolution and still creationists just will not accept anything that contradicts their dogma.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #41
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
peak hour, more people die going to and from work.
Old 25-03-2013, 12:54 AM   #42
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

An example from my own personal experience of chaotic traffic involving fixed speed cameras, lets say it's 5pm on a weekday heading northbound on the Bruce highway and your coming up to Burpengary.

Traffic is already quite heavy with other motorists on their way home for the afternoon/evening be it from work or whatever.
With a busy highway full of cars doing the speed limit you need to make sure your quite attentive at all times(as you would at low peak with minimal traffic much the same way).

But then you see the first sign, "Speed camera 24/7 for safety", your checking your speed and monitoring your surroundings.
You pass the next sign, "speed camera ahead" and prepare to pass the white lines up ahead at the limit of 100km/h, no problem right?

But right before you can get there road speed all of a sudden drops, people are slamming on brakes, traffic starts to crawl even as low as 70km/h(sometimes lower).

Your doing your best to maintain a safe distance from the car in front and the car in behind you(all of a sudden he's up your backside, thankfully your attentive and he didn't go up your backside when the car infront slammed his brakes on through the white lines.)

If he wasn't up your backside then, he certainly is now that every knucklehead is taking off like a rocket since they've "safely"passed the white lines.
Possibly into the Lidar trap thats a few hundred metres up waiting for those safe motorists.

Some might argue this story is an over exageration and it certainly does sound like it but this is what happens every day through these speed cameras, its the mentality of "the slower I go the safer I am" that the non enthusiast/average motorist thinks due to endless propaganda in regards to "speeding".

But it doesn't have to be this way, maintaining an average speed on or just below the speed limit will see traffic flow smoothly through the white lines, no brakes, no rear enders, no hit and miss & and certainly no extra congestion.

That's my personal experience, opinion & interpretation of other posts, apologies for the long post everybody.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #43
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
peak hour, more people die going to and from work.
More crashes occur during peak hour. More fatalities occur between midnight and 5am.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #44
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner View Post
No it doesn't! It just means that there are lot more driving around without a licence.
And what that means is that those who have lost their licences and still drive also have no insurance, comprehensive or 3rd party! Have a smash and be paying for it for the rest of their lives, if they live.
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #45
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham7773 View Post
And what that means is that those who have lost their licences and still drive also have no insurance, comprehensive or 3rd party! Have a smash and be paying for it for the rest of their lives, if they live.
Not exactly...I've known several people over the years who have had to go through all sorts of hassles to get any recompense after an accident, as the numptie that hit them had an unregistered car or wasn't licenced, and basically said,in one memorable incident, "Good luck getting any money out of me...I'm unemployed and have four kids to support...they won't dare try and take me through court"...and they bloody well didn't. My mate was left with a broken leg and a written off Ducati 916, and nothing could be done.

You just have to have a smash with the right person who's unregistered and uninsured...try and get one to hit you who has plenty of money...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #46
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa View Post
An example from my own personal experience of chaotic traffic involving fixed speed cameras, lets say it's 5pm on a weekday heading northbound on the Bruce highway and your coming up to Burpengary.

Traffic is already quite heavy with other motorists on their way home for the afternoon/evening be it from work or whatever.
With a busy highway full of cars doing the speed limit you need to make sure your quite attentive at all times(as you would at low peak with minimal traffic much the same way).

But then you see the first sign, "Speed camera 24/7 for safety", your checking your speed and monitoring your surroundings.
You pass the next sign, "speed camera ahead" and prepare to pass the white lines up ahead at the limit of 100km/h, no problem right?

But right before you can get there road speed all of a sudden drops, people are slamming on brakes, traffic starts to crawl even as low as 70km/h(sometimes lower).

Your doing your best to maintain a safe distance from the car in front and the car in behind you(all of a sudden he's up your backside, thankfully your attentive and he didn't go up your backside when the car infront slammed his brakes on through the white lines.)

If he wasn't up your backside then, he certainly is now that every knucklehead is taking off like a rocket since they've "safely"passed the white lines.
Possibly into the Lidar trap thats a few hundred metres up waiting for those safe motorists.

Some might argue this story is an over exageration and it certainly does sound like it but this is what happens every day through these speed cameras, its the mentality of "the slower I go the safer I am" that the non enthusiast/average motorist thinks due to endless propaganda in regards to "speeding".

But it doesn't have to be this way, maintaining an average speed on or just below the speed limit will see traffic flow smoothly through the white lines, no brakes, no rear enders, no hit and miss & and certainly no extra congestion.

That's my personal experience, opinion & interpretation of other posts, apologies for the long post everybody.
every camera everywhere has the tell tail sign of that problem, numerous skid marks and glass for a full kilometre prior to the camera..
Old 31-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #47
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Quote:
every camera everywhere has the tell tail sign of that problem, numerous skid marks and glass for a full kilometre prior to the camera..
If this isn't proof enough.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQQKaKrl-Nk
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: