Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #181
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Default Re: Commodore Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Honestly? My sincere hope is that after 2016, Ford sales in Australia go straight down the toilet and STAY there. Why? Because I hope that will give GMH pause everytime THEY consider abandoning Australia.
if no one buys an imported ford, they will stop importing them
therefore within reason, they make no money, but no losses either
considering both ford aus and gm aus have been losing money over the last few years, making no money is actually a win

and if jobs are the only concern, then what about the new car salesmen, the used car salesmen, the service department, the spare parts department, the cute girl in the mini skirt that tries to sell the paint protection pack etc. etc. etc.
there are more people employed in the ford aus chain than just those at geelong and broadmeadows
if ford is boycotted, they lose their jobs too
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #182
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
And whats 30% of 50k, a bit more than 15k, so its exactly around the 65k I quoted. My dad was a production engineer for Ford and even he never pulled in 6 figure salaries, so it's laughable that anyone thinks a production worker could pull in that sort of coin.
Its good that figure from a worker in the field comes to light,but the main problem many have is the take home pay isn't what that worker costs the company a week
Many don't see the hidden costs
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #183
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

To be honest I am more than just a little fed up by all the whingers who want to whine about Ford axing the Falcon and ceasing production in Australia, but then go on to say that they will happily buy whatever imported box Ford want to sell. THAT, right THERE, is the very reason for Ford’s decision.
I bought my daughter a Ford Focus because it was a Ford, but my loyalty to Ford derives from the Falcon, and without that why wouldn’t I look at any one of the Plethora of small-mid-sized FWD 4’s?
I agree how many can jump camp so quick,all to do perhaps the right "Support aussie made" bandwagon .....
But the truth is 99% of their other posessions are imported,id hardly call buying a large aussie made purchase once every 3/5 or more years doin the "Support aussie "bit ....
The other issue is people are more savvy with their limited money,why buy new when something 3 years old has already lost 30 %-50 % retail price ...
Old 31-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #184
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC View Post
I agree how many can jump camp so quick,all to do perhaps the right "Support aussie made" bandwagon .....
But the truth is 99% of their other posessions are imported,id hardly call buying a large aussie made purchase once every 3/5 or more years doin the "Support aussie "bit ....
The other issue is people are more savvy with their limited money,why buy new when something 3 years old has already lost 30 %-50 % retail price ...
Well my “next” NEW car will be an FU GTHO, and maybe a I6 Terri for her indoors. That will be within the next 3 years.
Beyond that, who knows when I will buy new again. I just know that it will never again be a Ford.
This user likes this post:
Old 01-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #185
GTJOHN
Ford 4 Life

Umm God no...have tried them and cannot do it..Ill keep buying old fords...would never
buy a commode , had to endure one for work for a while and hated the damn poo box

2nd Car - AU Falcon ,
Black Tickford wheels and Bodykit

---------------------------------------------------
GTJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #186
VICFPV

Commodore will be dead straight after 2016.
Reason
They will not be able to compete with Ford global cars.
Ford have a great global range. Let's hope they choose wisely.
Why manufacture when there is products already available else where that will be cheaper to use.
Sadly the local products are world class and very limited in use globally due other competing products within Ford.
Wait and see.
VICFPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #187
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

I had to drive a VE everyday for work for a year. Never again. If I could get away with it, I'd take the XR6 pool car instead of the test vehicle if we weren't testing.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2013, 11:47 PM   #188
EF Henry
Starter Motor

Smile Re: Commodore Anyone?

Yeah I'd drive/buy a Commodore, but I'd prefer a Ford. The reality is that I dont own a Business so I cant write a new vehicle off on tax and I dont buy cars every 3-5 years. I can Lease thru work but why buy a Commie brand new on Lease and then have the residual payment more than its worth after 4 years.

Ive been driving 4x4's for years over here in the West (Own Cruiser Ute + last of the Nissan 4.2 turbo wagons) and have been always intending to buy a Nice Falcon...."one day". Well looks like Detroits pulled the pin on all of us and Australia in General. What they have left behind are enough cars and parts to last me a further 30 years and see me out.

What the attraction of a poxy Mondeo or Focus is ?.....well thats beyond me (not my type of motoring). I'm 45 and Ford is Falcon/Fairlaine(Oh thats dead as well). Kill those nameplates and I'll adapt and survive.

Thinking all nostalgic (Grandad had a Model A), might bag a nice G220 5.4 and make it sound nice........that'l do. These cars are Dionsaurs, just like me.

The Commodore is supposedly good till 2020 at this point, go for it, I dont need a new car every 3 years.............really who cares.....I cant buy any Whale Lamp oil anymore and have recently had issues buying Phillips laser-discs

Last edited by EF Henry; 02-06-2013 at 12:06 AM.
EF Henry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #189
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICFPV View Post
Commodore will be dead straight after 2016.
Reason
They will not be able to compete with Ford global cars.
Ford have a great global range. Let's hope they choose wisely.
Why manufacture when there is products already available else where that will be cheaper to use.
Sadly the local products are world class and very limited in use globally due other competing products within Ford.
Wait and see.
Yes indeed, why <insert whatever YOU do for a living> when it is cheaper to get it done overseas.

As for Ford’s “great global range”
Name ONE
(besides the Focus, which doesn’t compete at the same end of the market anyway.)
Old 02-06-2013, 06:30 AM   #190
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67 View Post
and if jobs are the only concern, then what about the new car salesmen, the used car salesmen, the service department, the spare parts department, the cute girl in the mini skirt that tries to sell the paint protection pack etc. etc. etc.
there are more people employed in the ford aus chain than just those at geelong and broadmeadows

IF I'm going to buy a new car, then I am going to employ all those people SOMEWHERE. In WA just about every dealer is owned by AHG, so it doesn't matter to them WHAT I buy. If I buy a Commodore
(sorry, just sicked up a little in my mouth)
I will be employing South Australians.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #191
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Lets look beyond Ford for a sec ....
90 % or more of our daily lifes are influenced by imported products
Buying that 1 new aussie car wont keep the country as a manufacturing entity afloat ....
We should have thought about "Saving the countries industries and jobs" decades ago,when we were flooded with $2 shops, cheap imported throw away limited shelf life rubbish ....
But we didn't , and we all bought it up like it was gold ....
The country is just about dead in the water as an industrial based country,we have no one to blame but ourselves ....
We are all accountable some way or another
Buying aussie made to save the country,i dunno wether people are having a go saying that or they think their one big purchase,or less that 10 % of their daily life is aussie made is gunna make a huge difference
Old 02-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #192
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Buying that 1 new aussie car wont keep the country as a manufacturing entity afloat ....
We should have thought about "Saving the countries industries and jobs" decades ago,when we were flooded with $2 shops, cheap imported throw away limited shelf life rubbish ....
The country is just about dead in the water as an industrial based country,we have no one to blame but ourselves ....
Buying aussie made to save the country,i dunno wether people are having a go saying that or they think their one big purchase,or less that 10 % of their daily life is aussie made is gunna make a huge difference
You obviously don't keep an eye on the news or paper..

About a month ago, there was an Australian owned manufacturing company that went into voluntary administration (Can't remember the company name)....The media mentioned it, now that company has put on an extra shift to cope with demand for it's product....Admittly, it's still in voluntary administration, but had an extension of time to sort it's financial situation out. By all reports this particular company will continue trading out of financial trouble

I accept not everyone can afford to buy a new car, but having the attitude you display will help destroy the manufacturing industry for good...

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #193
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:

IF I'm going to buy a new car, then I am going to employ all those people SOMEWHERE. In WA just about every dealer is owned by AHG, so it doesn't matter to them WHAT I buy. If I buy a Commodore
(sorry, just sicked up a little in my mouth)
I will be employing South Australians.
you claimed you might boycott ford because of australian jobs being lost, not due to the products themselves

by boycotting a company because of job losses and job losses alone, you are pretty much hoping that their other workers lose their jobs too
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #194
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been smacking holdens since I bought my first valiant back in 1979 and that's the way I like it.I'd rather push my territory to bourke and back than actually buy one.I won't even go in to the dealer for a mitsubishi or mazda or what ever else they sell.

XR6 Turbo.Championship winner.
KW XRT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #195
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Can someone with photoshop rebadge the VF as a Toyota Lexcen..
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #196
Feral Ford
FeralFordFan

Well my newest Ford purchase was a 1968, if I keep that up I will be able to buy Aussie Fords for many years to come.

1995 LTD 5ltr Windsor

1968 XT Fairmont 351 Cleveland

Beer, so much more than just a breakfast drink
Feral Ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #197
borough

Quote:
To be honest I am more than just a little fed up by all the whingers who want to whine about Ford axing the Falcon and ceasing production in Australia, but then go on to say that they will happily buy whatever imported box Ford want to sell. THAT, right THERE, is the very reason for Ford’s decision.
I bought my daughter a Ford Focus because it was a Ford, but my loyalty to Ford derives from the Falcon, and without that why wouldn’t I look at any one of the Plethora of small-mid-sized FWD 4’s?

Honestly? My sincere hope is that after 2016, Ford sales in Australia go straight down the toilet and STAY there. Why? Because I hope that will give GMH pause everytime THEY consider abandoning Australia.
Hoping that Ford sales go down the toilet in 2016 is being a little bitter in my mind. Ford have made up their mind and are moving on, so us Falcon fans should move on too.

One thing is for sure, Ford will have to work very hard to get me to walk into their dealerships again to purchase a new car due to no Falcon being available. Just look at the market for a largish sedan to replace my Falcon, I have the choice of Mondeo, Camry, Accord, i40, Passat, Commodore & Kizashi. I think I will pass on the Mondeo, the styling looks terrible.
borough is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #198
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter View Post
You obviously don't keep an eye on the news or paper..

About a month ago, there was an Australian owned manufacturing company that went into voluntary administration (Can't remember the company name)....The media mentioned it, now that company has put on an extra shift to cope with demand for it's product....Admittly, it's still in voluntary administration, but had an extension of time to sort it's financial situation out. By all reports this particular company will continue trading out of financial trouble

I accept not everyone can afford to buy a new car, but having the attitude you display will help destroy the manufacturing industry for good...
1 company out of thousands,hardly worth mentioning
Im not negative,mite have come across that way,but business are closing daily,weekly,monthly,buying that new aussie car wont bring them all back
Im in manufacturing ,its tuff, but I don't run any accounts,wether in or out ,maybe that's a good thing
Old 02-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #199
Nick46
Rossi Is God

While there is air in my lungs I'll never buy a commodore. There's also a reason why most hearses are fords, most people wouldn't be caught dead in a Holden!! I'll be hanging on to my fg mk2 xr6 LE turbo for a long long time. And when the time comes to buy a new car I'll most probably buy what ever ford best fits my needs. I'll still keep the turbz though.
Nick46 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #200
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
you claimed you might boycott ford because of australian jobs being lost, not due to the products themselves

by boycotting a company because of job losses and job losses alone, you are pretty much hoping that their other workers lose their jobs too
Old 02-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #201
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by borough View Post
Hoping that Ford sales go down the toilet in 2016 is being a little bitter in my mind.
nothing LITTLE about it.

As for "moving on," hell no, I'm going to be buried in a Falcon.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:14 AM   #202
GT-spec15

Quote:
There's truth to this.

As has been mentioned previously, decisions made DECADES ago helped to set the course for Australia moving into a service-based economy.

The big wheel has been turning ever since, and gaining momentum. Countless small manufacturing operations have closed over the past few decades as these processes moved to Asia, and most have gone unnoticed.

Finally some big players have fallen, and a section of the community has been shocked into action - demanding that changes to our fundamental structure are made in order to "save manufacturing".
Old 03-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #203
Rodge
Banned

2017 - 2018 is shaping up to be a golden opportunity for people wanting a new Australian manufactured car at a heavily discounted clear-the-decks price. Sure there will be the closing down sales for Holden and Ford in 2016 but I reckon the real bargains will be had on the leftover stock that's still available come late 2017 / early 2018.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #204
Kayos
Lag = hang onto something

Chrysler before Commodore and I'd rather walk then drive a fwd Toyota.. I hear the Vic gov has bicycle lanes down pat which may workout just fine by 2020

Some previous rides: Ef mont, RX7tt series VI, BM coupes, TE50, BA ghia, BA XR6t

Current rides: G6E blk/Cshmr, Chrysler by Chrysler no.1, Chrysler by Chrysler no.2
Kayos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #205
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

New Commodore ad

http://youtu.be/uhhcaN03tXs
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #206
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Can't see myself buying a Holden ever. Having said that, I hope they keep going as I feel for the workers and their families.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #207
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post

Not bad, Hopefully it sells well.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #208
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX View Post
Not bad, Hopefully it sells well.
It's ok, I hate car ads which show driving in the city though - I like to see them on outback roads. Just my preference.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #209
red_hotxr6
Banned

I know nothing lasts for ever but i do hope that parts for my ford falcon cars, are available for a long time, as i intend to get every klm i can out of them before i have to change to something else i am forced to buy to get around in....
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2013, 05:53 AM   #210
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Absolutely brilliant! Now that is how you market a car!
Now compare that to the walking fingers rubbish...
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post