Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-01-2014, 04:02 PM   #31
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Default Re: 2013 was worst sales year for Holden's locally built models

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
No conspiracy theory. Sales of six cylinder Commodores have plunged approximately 75% since the VX model. Sales of V8 Commodores are still going strong and take a bigger percentage of Commodore sales in 2013 than they did in 2002.

Next time think before you post.
the engine never changed in the VY 02,03, maybe heed your own advice.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #32
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
the engine never changed in the vy 02,03, maybe heed your own advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by syndrome View Post
interesting. The sales slides almost coincides with the introduction of the hfv6 engine (alloytech) from the vz.
. .

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2014, 06:26 PM   #33
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
. .
the VX was up against the AU!
later models were against the BA..

see a pattern here...

nothing to do with an engine!
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2014, 07:51 PM   #34
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fuel prices don't count as much these days. Our G6E got the best fuel economy of just about any car we've ever owned (the tiny 1953 Austin A30 doesn't count). When a large sedan can get down around the 8ltr/100 on a steady highway trip, it's not fuel that's an issue. It wasn't with us...it's just that style of car didn't suit us anymore, but a twin cab ute with canopy does. However, it too gets great economy...but go back ten years and I would have never considered a twin cab, but given that now they're just as comfortable as cars and have none of the old limitations of four wheel drives, and it's obvious why they're being sold in such big numbers.

Public needs and wants change, and the factory should be able to look at least a bit into the future and not just keep plodding along doing things the way they've always done.

Last edited by 2011G6E; 10-01-2014 at 08:19 PM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2014, 11:52 PM   #35
zilo
BANNED

8l/100km on a steady trip ain't the barometer for a vehicle purchase.

it's the cost of a week of city commuting that is the focus these days.

Your G6e would be lucky to get less than 14L/100km in that case.

that's where commodore and falcon have fallen out of favour with buyers.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2014, 08:41 AM   #36
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
That fuel price wouldnt get me into a falcon or a commodore or any big car. Probably not much would.
Was purely hypothetical but i've had a chance recently to see some Focus STs up close, I dont blame you.
They're a nice car!
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #37
Angeldust

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post

my vz 6.0 gets about 15l/100 in those conditions. During the christmas period, when the traffic was a lot lighter, my daily commute to work saw a fuel economy of 13.1 ltr/100k's at an average of 41.2k's an hour. In my e46 6cyl 2.3ltr bmw the fuel consumption for the same trip is about 10lts/100k's. Thats the price we pay and it ain't much. I was at the ligths next to a porsche suv (cayenne?) and i was laughing when its engine turned off for a few seconds while stopped at the lights. Who the hell spends so much on a car and the worries about saving a poofteenth in fuel? which is arguably the cheapset thing that they would put into their SUV porcshe....

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #38
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I wonder bout the role Oil companies have in encouraging a change in buying trands that suits their ends...

1) The decline of large cars and their greater fuel consumption, replaced by the rise of small efficent petrol cars..

2) The decline in petrol driven SUVs and Light Trucks which are now mostly replaced by either efficient petrol or diesel engines.

3) Government subsidizing of retro fitting LPG to petrol vehicles as a way of reducing fuel consumption..

This relentless drive for ever increasing fuel efficiency comes at a cost to the oil companies by reducing volume and
when that happens, the main push back policy is to review buying trends and adjust pricing to maintain current profit levels.

Even if the total volume of product is less, profit remains the same or higher meaning Oil companies are the great winners out of this.
Any benefit a driver thinks they are making by saving fuel blows out a cost in another area, be that vehicle cost or fuel cost
and tha's before we even look at government income from exccise being reduced...

Last edited by jpd80; 12-01-2014 at 02:31 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-01-2014, 02:44 PM   #39
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post

Exactly!, A Falcon or Commodore would never get similar economy to that of a small/medium size SUV that more and more people are buying these day's, why would you buy a large sedan when you can fit more into a SUV and better economy to boot when you are a family person.
And then when you throw diesel into the equation well theres no contest.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-01-2014, 10:34 PM   #40
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
I wonder bout the role Oil companies have in encouraging a change in buying trands that suits their ends...

1) The decline of large cars and their greater fuel consumption, replaced by the rise of small efficent petrol cars..

2) The decline in petrol driven SUVs and Light Trucks which are now mostly replaced by either efficient petrol or diesel engines.

3) Government subsidizing of retro fitting LPG to petrol vehicles as a way of reducing fuel consumption..

This relentless drive for ever increasing fuel efficiency comes at a cost to the oil companies by reducing volume and
when that happens, the main push back policy is to review buying trends and adjust pricing to maintain current profit levels.

Even if the total volume of product is less, profit remains the same or higher meaning Oil companies are the great winners out of this.
Any benefit a driver thinks they are making by saving fuel blows out a cost in another area, be that vehicle cost or fuel cost
and tha's before we even look at government income from exccise being reduced...
But vehicle sales are increasing in Oz and globally just about year after year so if anything the increased number of vehicles on the road is taking up that lower comsumption. I'd say oil consumption would increase every year.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post