Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #31
commonrails

Default Re: Older work mate being "exploited"

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
So what does he do between 06:00am and 10:00am??
He runs the small warehouse at the office in that time.
commonrails is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #32
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm retired now after a majority of my working life in the mechanical game.
Retirement is OK but there's a lot of days with no real mental challenge, so the old boy is maybe at a point where he's never going to earn a great amount of cash but values the opportunity to spend his hours in a useful manner.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #33
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Plenty of mental challenge, mechanic. Try something new in your spare time
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2014, 10:53 AM   #34
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

is the worker on the award wage or is he paid above award? this can have an affect on overtime/working hours etc

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #35
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Plenty of mental challenge, mechanic. Try something new in your spare time
Good point, yesterday I got the GPS, mobile phone and UHF antenna leads up through the dash of my RTV without removing the dash itself, that used ALL my mental energies, patience AND flexibilty.
Day before I did some wiring on a mates 75 series cruiser [ I've nearly rebuilt that thing ]
Day before that went out on some snake catching and relocation calls with a mate.
It appears to me that it's the first year or so after retiring that's the worst.
I think older tradesmen have a lot to offer but they have to realise the employer needs the energy and adaptability of younger workers to make business viable.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2014, 07:17 PM   #36
dirtyclevo

i was working for a this place last year for 5 weeks, i did like 2 extra hrs everyday. because they asked me to.

when i'd get my payslip. they weren't on there. asked my supervisor. they would fix it up and be in next weeks pay.. yeah right! who's been feed that bullshit before.

next week came. no extra payment from o/t from previous weeks pay and that weeks pay.

started getting a bit a angry, told this guy i worked with. he didn't say much, very weary of saying anything actually, they all were.

I figured out pretty quickly that i was being used. i started to knock back there o/t on most days from then on. and managment started getting stroppy with me saying i had to "help the boys out" , yeah right you bastard!

so i keep with it the job for a further 3 weeks. the whole time i had a case with Fairwork.
and low and behold the bloke from fairwork came for a visit.

next payday I got my o/t, everyone else got theres to, some from months and months ago. some guys were really emotional about it. I quit that afternoon.

i mentioned to my boss that its good when you get what you deserved, gave them a wink.

and for good measure did a linelocky out of there driveway too. the dirty snake bastards.

i would say the company but there might be someone of here that works there. or knows something. lets just say there in the automotive business. dealership maybe?... hmmm

true story. a couple of other guys saw the light and left later on i heard.

Last edited by dirtyclevo; 07-06-2014 at 07:23 PM.
dirtyclevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2014, 12:54 AM   #37
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pics of linelocky
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #38
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe old bloke is smarter than you think. Old bloke goes to work each day, signs on by book or clock/computer, doesn't get paid for work for 5 or more years. When he is ready he goes to fair work, has left a good paper trail, gets big payout. A bit like forced saving.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:58 PM   #39
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
Good point, yesterday I got the GPS, mobile phone and UHF antenna leads up through the dash of my RTV without removing the dash itself, that used ALL my mental energies, patience AND flexibilty.
Day before I did some wiring on a mates 75 series cruiser [ I've nearly rebuilt that thing ]
Day before that went out on some snake catching and relocation calls with a mate.
It appears to me that it's the first year or so after retiring that's the worst.
I think older tradesmen have a lot to offer but they have to realise the employer needs the energy and adaptability of younger workers to make business viable.
It's all about making a start on a job I reckon.

Once you've got a project, you're off and running, but that first steps the killer

My old boy was a shocker when he retired.

When mums got something she wants done he bitches and moans and drags his feet, but then a few days later he's a different person when he's in the midst of getting it done
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-06-2014, 12:21 AM   #40
dirtyclevo

i know i know, no pics, didn't happen then

how did people believe people before there were camera's then?
are we all liars these days.
dirtyclevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #41
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some old blokes I know "work" for no pay at all, they are just happy to be there and not feeling like they are wasting away. It gives them a sense of worth I suppose. They are very knowledgeable and helpful but at their age no-one wants to employ them, nor can they do the physical side of they job.

Some guys are just lonely and happy to be with others and dread going home to their empty houses.

Unless you know the old blokes situation completely I would be staying out of it.
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post