Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-09-2014, 10:47 PM   #1
AXR88U

Default WTF - No V8 ute in the 2015 Falcon range

Fords gone all metro-sexual on us again just like in the 80's.
Cant believe they let the bean counters win on this one.

No XR8 ute for the new Falcon shown on the future model web page, and is confirmed by Ford PR as well.

Looks like once my FG has had the dick I will have to get an SS if I want a new V8 ute.

Old 18-09-2014, 10:54 PM   #2
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Default Re: WTF - No V8 ute in the 2015 Falcon range

Huh? Think you haven't been reading the pages here. Been discussed for the past 6 months plus. The fact that the Falcon V8 ute has not been available for years and the FPV utes are gone with minimal sales ...... no surprise.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2014, 11:22 PM   #3
AXR88U

Just very disappointing.

Now i've gotta do a rush around to see if there are any GS's left
Old 18-09-2014, 11:35 PM   #4
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Pretty much why quite a few of us picked up GS ute's in the last 12 months. When i bought mine late last lyear the rumours were already pretty solid. Least we had more warning than the demise of the F6 ute.
Old 19-09-2014, 05:27 AM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

There's a few Pursuits left at $70k drive away.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same as no FGX G8E...cann't be hard to put a few G6E bodies down the line and put the V8 in it ?? engineering for the V8 in the sedan shell has been done????
Old 19-09-2014, 09:04 AM   #7
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Least thats less fleecy than the margins asked for GT-Fs
Old 19-09-2014, 10:06 AM   #8
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
WTF they were $52K when they came out and were all sold

AXR88U, better get a holden ute quick to coz they will be gone in a few years also
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #9
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh...so Ford does take notice of customer wants and needs...little bit late, but better late than never.

Look, I love V8's, I own an old one, but they're just outdated now. No one wants them, apart from a small number of enthusiasts, especially in a state like Queensland where you're hammered unmercifully with higher rego costs for a V8.
Both car makers have spent enormous amounts engineering new V8's over the last decade...money that should have been spent on things like the ecoboost four and new powerful and efficient diesel engines, but no, they kept looking to the golden distant past instead of the harsh future...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-09-2014, 02:24 PM   #10
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Oh...so Ford does take notice of customer wants and needs...little bit late, but better late than never.

Look, I love V8's, I own an old one, but they're just outdated now. No one wants them, apart from a small number of enthusiasts...
That is the point. The enthusiast want them. And at the moment, Holden V8 sales are 1 in 3 http://www.news.com.au/finance/busin...-1226967772594
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #11
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

It's been reported here it was a cost issue why Ford has dropped the V8 from the utes..

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2014, 05:58 PM   #12
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

they are going to sell all the powertrains they can get hold of in the sedan, so why go the the effort and cost of developing a ute when sales would come from the sedan? it would be a different matter if they had unlimited powertrains, but.....
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-09-2014, 06:11 PM   #13
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
they are going to sell all the powertrains they can get hold of in the sedan, so why go the the effort and cost of developing a ute when sales would come from the sedan? it would be a different matter if they had unlimited powertrains, but.....
There's nothing to develop, ford could run the xr8 ute as a clone of the fg gs ute, with the updated fgx tech and front panels.
Keep running the gs' 315 tune, number means nothing, and it wouldn't be the first time ford has sold the xr 8 ute having less power than the sedan.

Really seems like a no brainer to me.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 19-09-2014, 06:33 PM   #14
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Past experience with poor sales volumes of performance V8 utes (XR8, 315 included, even the six pot F6) and limited access to engine/trans combo's before they're gone...I'm sure the product guys would've loved to have a last shot at it, but even sitting outside would it have made sense? XR8 sedan should sell pretty well for them if they price it right. The ute has had it's swansong, but heck, is it that bad they're still producing a XR6T ute? Nah....missing the note but still a helluva drive. I know, V8 buyers are V8 buyers, but we aren't at least starved of a performance option.
Old 19-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #15
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I thought the XR8 ute actually outsold the XR8 sedan?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2014, 06:45 PM   #16
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

They have got this wrong, GS ute was a badge swap to XR8 Ute there was no cost involved to do this... whats the bet they have a glut of XR8 sedans at the end of FGX run in 2106 blocking up Ford dealers.

They could have had 2 years of V8 ute sales that would not have canibalised XR8 sedan sales.

Oh well makes my MK2 GS hold its resale better

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #17
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

*2016... you know what I mean hahaha
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-09-2014, 09:13 PM   #18
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

i got one of the last XR8 utes haha not that makes any difference and doesn't make it worth anymore , just wish it had a 5L supercharged motor in it
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2014, 12:42 AM   #19
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

let me get this straight

you think ford care about what customers want?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHA
Old 24-09-2014, 12:39 PM   #20
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An xr8 ute with the 335 boss would've easily outsold the turbo ute. Should've canned the turbo ute instead
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2014, 12:48 PM   #21
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I heard someone once bitterly complaining quite a few years ago (well before the era of the new very powerful turbo sixes) that Ford was making a six cylinder that was faster than the V8...and that it was "a dangerous move" as it might "convince" people that they don't actually need a V8 to be fast.

The only sensible reply to that is "And....?"
Old 24-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #22
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
I heard someone once bitterly complaining quite a few years ago (well before the era of the new very powerful turbo sixes) that Ford was making a six cylinder that was faster than the V8...and that it was "a dangerous move" as it might "convince" people that they don't actually need a V8 to be fast.

The only sensible reply to that is "And....?"
Brings back memories of when Ford killed of the V8, informing everyone that the new XE 4.1 EFI produced more power than the V8, so there was no need for a V8.

I think that was one of the main factors that kept Holden doors open in the late 80's - they were the only manufacturer with a V8 car. Back then that was the main family car, used for towing caravans & boats.

Times are a changing..
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2014, 01:20 PM   #23
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep View Post
Brings back memories of when Ford killed of the V8, informing everyone that the new XE 4.1 EFI produced more power than the V8, so there was no need for a V8.

I think that was one of the main factors that kept Holden doors open in the late 80's - they were the only manufacturer with a V8 car. Back then that was the main family car, used for towing caravans & boats.

Times are a changing..
Yep, the early eighties and the "V8's Till '98" campaign started by Street Machine magazine, into try and convince Holden to keep making V8's when they just weren't that popular because of changing public wants and needs.

There are still people who claim people need V8's (in Falcons and Commodores) for "towing big boats and horse floats"...sure they do...which is why you see 99.9% of these things getting towed behind large SUV's and four wheel drives these days, not V8 Falcons and Commodores...times are changing.

I still maintain far, far more people seem to simply like the idea of a V8 still being available...but who will never ever consider actually buying one. They just like the fact they exist.
Old 24-09-2014, 06:06 PM   #24
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Funny...ford had no V8, yet were winning the sales race...XF sales look like the V8 wasn't missed.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #25
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Funny...ford had no V8, yet were winning the sales race...XF sales look like the V8 wasn't missed.
Correct! THE most successful model too.

The general public don't care about V8 utes.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2014, 07:36 PM   #26
nstg8a

Yeah it's funny, at the time ford had pretty much it's most boring line up in history. And dominated the market.

Holden had a few cool things on the market in the mid eighties, but it damned near sunk them.

And the only reason the xf 4.1 had more power than the 8 is because the 8 was so handicapped with bull**** emissions regs and not the tech to be able to get performance with them
Old 24-09-2014, 07:39 PM   #27
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by P6LTD351 View Post
Correct! THE most successful model too.

The general public don't care about V8 utes.

General public don't give a rats about falcon full stop, doesn't stop ford giving it one last hurrah.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2014, 06:27 AM   #28
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
But they lost a generation of buyers. XF was just prior to me getting my license and what a boring car it was seen as. Lot of young guys (who could afford it) jumped into Holden's and that often shaped their purchasing for the next few years .. Until Holden burnt them in some way or another.

Still .. It's not the same environment anymore, so the same things won't necessarily happen.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2014, 07:04 AM   #29
Sioso
irregular member

Misunderstood article, post deleted............

Last edited by Sioso; 26-09-2014 at 07:11 AM.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post