Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 21-11-2014, 12:08 PM   #1
nevetsg

Default I have upgraded. Spare tire question.

Hello,

Our beloved MA TDCi has been written off . So what is the best way to replace such a good car? With another one of course!

We are now the proud owners of a 2011 MC Titanium TDCi. I will be having a fun time getting to know all of the many new features. And the extra power is so good!

One question though, and I know some of you will think me silly. The spare tire looks to be full size but its rim has all of the Max 80Km/h markings. I would really prefer the extra boot depth of a thin spare tire. If what is in there is MAX80 anyways couldn't I just swap it out? Is there something that I am missing? (FYI I am a city slicker so I am never more than 4min from getting a tire repaired..)

RIP: Mondeo 2008 MA TDCi. Colorado Red, Leather, Bluetooth, sunroof, Tow pack. C.R. Tech tuning box
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
cram_it_frog
wombat

Default Re: I have upgraded. Spare tire question.

I am never more than 4min from getting a tire repaired..) your lucky lol come to Broken Hill and travel out of town closest town to us is Mildura 3 or 4 hours away

mate bought a XR6 and did not check spare got a flat and did 2 hours with a space saver at very slow speed to Mildura

Life is full of experiences some good some bad and with luck they all balance out in the end

What Ford s have I owned
1969 Blue wagon 1974 XB owned 3 of them
Numerious others but I always went back to ford

My first car was a 6 volt VW sedan
cram_it_frog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
bugmesome
Banned

For many spare tyres, the 80km/h restriction isn't on the tyre itself, but the fact that handling and braking will be affected. Especially with those skinny space-savers, but even in your case (let's say three 18" alloys and one 16" steel spare) it could still surprise you in an emergency situation. Hence the 80km/h.

Same with the 80km distance restriction. Of course some spare tyres really can't go much further. Other times it's the manufacturer's way of saying, drive as far as you need to but no further, and definitely don't keep the thing on there permanently...
bugmesome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-11-2014, 02:09 PM   #4
cram_it_frog
wombat

I have two steel Ford rims in the boot all the time but i do live in the outback lol

Life is full of experiences some good some bad and with luck they all balance out in the end

What Ford s have I owned
1969 Blue wagon 1974 XB owned 3 of them
Numerious others but I always went back to ford

My first car was a 6 volt VW sedan
cram_it_frog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
nevetsg

I guess what I want to know is if there is any reason I cant swap it out to a thin space saver tire? This is what the MA had.
Is there a technical reason that the MC titanium needs the wider spare tire?
If anyone knows.
The reason being that the extra few cm of height in the boot allows me to double stack suitcases. For the holiday trips.

RIP: Mondeo 2008 MA TDCi. Colorado Red, Leather, Bluetooth, sunroof, Tow pack. C.R. Tech tuning box
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2014, 09:02 PM   #6
Binny

I don't see why you couldn't.
I have the same issue although mine is an LX. I'm not sure what size spare is standard in a titanium.
Mine came with a "full size" 215/55-16 in the boot and the previous owner had made a new false floor so it was still level.
I'd happily keep a space saver in there and get some more boot depth back. I've never needed to change a tyre on the side of the road in over 20 years. Only slow leaks.
What size is your spare out of interest?
Binny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2014, 10:50 PM   #7
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Only reason is it an nice thing to have, and makes next model up more desirable to people.

No reason what so ever you could not use a space saver tyre, just have to live with the restrictions.

Just work out the overall diameter so you dont have the car sitting at a weird angle, and check the space saver will fit over the brakes.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post