Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-04-2016, 06:59 PM   #1
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default What "road trips" are on your bucket list?

Many of us on these forums are of course car enthusiasts and obviously enjoy driving our pride and enjoy.

I'm sure many of you have dreamt about taking that special road trip somehow in a car you own or would like to drive, either here in Australia or overseas.

What road trips are on your bucket list and what vehicle (or bike) would you do it in if you had the opportunity?

I'll kick it off ....

1. Route 66 in a Mustang (Illinois to California) 3,200 Kms

2. Basque Circuit in a Ferrai F12 (Spain to France) 480 Kms

3. Melbourne to Perth in my current XR6T - 3,420 Kms
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2016, 07:59 PM   #2
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What "road trips" are on your bucket list?

Route 66 in any kind of American muscle!! And a complete lap of Australia turning right out my driveway and arriving from the left!!
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2016, 08:47 PM   #3
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got a long road trip wish list all over the world, but a couple in Australia I hope to do in the next year or two;

Melbourne to Sydney in my own car staying well clear of the Hume - Black Spur, Whitfield Road, Snowy Mountains, Sea Cliff Bridge. Would be an epic drive!

Melbourne to Perth in a one way camper van relocation deal ($1 per day) then fly back. I'd really love to cross the country by road but not too keen on driving back!
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-04-2016, 10:18 PM   #4
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not a road trip as such, but the Goodwood Festival.
Old 28-04-2016, 10:24 PM   #5
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Not a long road but it looks interesting. The Atlantic Ocean Road in Norway.
http://www.dangerousroads.org/europe...ad-norway.html
Ross 1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2016, 11:16 PM   #6
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To drive home just once on the M2/7 Motorway in Sydney in peak hour in under an hour.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2016, 11:18 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Highway one

Australia's Highway 1 is a network of highways that circumnavigate the Australian continent, joining all mainland state capitals. At a total length of approximately 14,500 km (9,000 mi) it is among the longest national highways in the world, a list also including the Trans-Siberian Highway (over 11,000 km or 6,800 mi) and the Trans-Canada Highway (8,030 km or 4,990 mi). Every day more than a million people travel on a part of it.[1]
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2016, 11:47 PM   #8
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXRSIX View Post
1. Route 66 in a Mustang (Illinois to California) 3,200 Kms
Yes.

I've been at both ends, just need to go back and get a Mustang next time.

The start (Chicago), behind me is Lake Michigan

Shame all I had was this Dodgy Calibre.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2016, 01:15 AM   #9
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross 1 View Post
Not a long road but it looks interesting. The Atlantic Ocean Road in Norway.
http://www.dangerousroads.org/europe...ad-norway.html
I did that last year as part of a road trip from Helsinki, Finland to Oslo, Norway, and then on to the Nurburgring.

It was a bit of a let down - somewhat like the Sea Cliff Bridge to Wollongong. We drove over and back a number of times, but it looks far more impressive from the air.
There were some stunning views and roads in other parts of Norway though, especially if you persevere with the ferries and take a route through the archipelago. Geirangerfjord is absolutely breathtaking, and the drive out of it is also rather epic.

As for bucket list trips for me, well not much will top the Finland-Norway trip. Though this year the same-ish group are doing a trip through Scotland and Wales, then transiting England, France and Belgium. Before ending at the Nurburgring, so I'm working on joining them again.

I'd also love to do a trip across Canada, so hopefully I will get around to that one day.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2016, 09:00 AM   #10
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After just completing Route 66 in a Mustang, I wanna do it again........ maybe on a Harley next time though!! While we did as much of the 66 as we possibly could, we did have a look at a few other things while we were there including Niagara Falls, the Ford Factory in Detroit, Nascar in Texas, Mustang in OK, Shelby factory in Vegas & Monument Valley in Utah. Pretty much a Blue Oval Road Trip Yep, I'm a lucky man with the best wife on earth!!!

Stunning!

The cross 8 engine at the Henry Ford Museum!

Downtown Chicago

The old girl had some stick.

A Mustang in Mustang

The Mother road.

My lovely wife doing some handy work!!

Monument Valley.

Grand Canyon was outstanding.

The Memorial in OK City was very emotional!

Donkeys in the main street in Oatman.

A Moffat driven Mustang in the Shelby Museum.

A couple of Aussies in Mustangs in Kansas

Last edited by Rob 351; 29-04-2016 at 09:12 AM.
Rob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2016, 09:19 AM   #11
josh1990
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heading to the US in December for my honeymoon, will be hiring a mustang. Will be winter so it won't be a convertible hahaha.

Will be landing LA, straight off to Buffalo to see Niagra, down to New York, back across to Vegas, car to the canyon and monument valley, back to Vegas for Xmas and New Year, up to San Fran, Anaheim for Disneyland, L.A again before flying back out.

Unfortunately won't have the time to do all of route 66 this time but I'll get there one day!
Old 29-04-2016, 10:44 AM   #12
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I want to start by doing SH1 the whole way from Cape Reinga to Invercargill in my Fairlane. I'd also like to do the whole loop of Australia in a XR6T or a SS. Ultimate goals would be to go from California all the way up to Seattle, then across to Detroit, over to Toronto, back to Vancouver and up to Alaska. I want to do this one in either a massive 4WD F150, Silverado etc. or in a Subaru Liberty.

Lastly, though this is more of my fathers thing. We're going to do a father son road trip covering Texas, Route 66 and the Grand Canyon in a Corvette. It's something he's always wanted to do since he went to uni there, and I'd love to take that road trip with him.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2016, 07:58 PM   #13
69ISH

I have driven a Dodge Charger and driven parts of Route 66 and also driven from San Francisco to San Diego following the Hwy 101 onto the 156 and then the 1 and then swapped numbers between the 101 and 1, basically followed the coast all the way along and I would love to follow the west Coast again but next time Start or Finish at Seattle but I would also love to go through Monument Valley as well as I regret not having made the time to do it (Vegas just takes to much time up but well worth it and I have only ever gambled $2 USD).
I have never travelled the Great Ocean Road either and I would love to do that 1 day in my Mustang but I have been told I will not see much as the bushes are to high and my Mustang is to low.
69ISH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2016, 08:56 PM   #14
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 351 View Post
After just completing Route 66 in a Mustang, I wanna do it again........ maybe on a Harley next time though!! While we did as much of the 66 as we possibly could, we did have a look at a few other things while we were there including Niagara Falls, the Ford Factory in Detroit, Nascar in Texas, Mustang in OK, Shelby factory in Vegas & Monument Valley in Utah. Pretty much a Blue Oval Road Trip Yep, I'm a lucky man with the best wife on earth!!!
Thanks for posting all those trip photos .... Your post makes me want to do Route 66 even more!
Old 29-04-2016, 09:49 PM   #15
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate it's the coolest trip ever! Already have plans to do it again in a few years & was thinking of a Harley but you know what would be the best car to do it next time???? My GTP! Probably can't be done but an FPV would get sooooooo much attention over there it would be ridiculous!!
Old 29-04-2016, 10:16 PM   #16
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Quote:
Mate it's the coolest trip ever! Already have plans to do it again in a few years & was thinking of a Harley but you know what would be the best car to do it next time???? My GTP! Probably can't be done but an FPV would get sooooooo much attention over there it would be ridiculous!!
if street outlaws 'road cars' are registered surely a GT-P will be no worries.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2016, 10:22 PM   #17
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw people riding in the back of ute, sorry I mean Trucks 😀, blokes riding Harley's with no helmets, paper for number plates, surely an Aussie GT shouldn't be a problem! 🙂🙂
Old 29-04-2016, 10:35 PM   #18
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking... Where there any parts along Route 66 that you did not feel safe, like in the middle of no where, or certain towns or road side stops you should avoid?

Did you ever get worried about breaking down in the middle of no where along the way or running out of petrol, etc?

On average, how many kilometres did you do each day?

Thanks
Old 29-04-2016, 11:15 PM   #19
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nah it's all pretty good mate! The busier places get you down a bit with all the homeless people continueously asking for money but not once did I ever feel intimidated!
As for the quieter parts of the road, it's not that quiet. There didn't seem the big open spaces like we see here in Australia.
I like talking to people & they love Aussies so there was never any drama! I remember one morning in St Louis when the bride was in fixing up the motel at reception so I walk outside to the busy road to see what's happening, & a tall black American approached me telling me he just got out of St Louis state prision and politely asked could he have some money for food. Honestly at the time I didn't have any, the bride had it with her, so I told him I didn't have any & he politely said that ok 'man' & off he went.
You have to be on the ball with some people but honestly, we had no trouble.
As far as distance per day, that varied! Some days were longer then others but honestly, you need a good three weeks to do it properly & to enjoy it!
Old 29-04-2016, 11:49 PM   #20
66 STANG

I went on a Route 66 drive holiday with my wife in 2008 - THE best holiday I had had to date bar none!! We only really did between Tulsa and LA that time. In 2012 we explored the Mother Road again, this time between Chicago & St. Louis.
We are now planning another trip with a group of friends to do Route 66 from start to finish in Mustang GT's later next year.......should be a blast....!!
66 STANG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: