Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #10
George V
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Default Re: AU1 fairmont ghia no steering radio controls

Hi Vortex 98,

Have a look at your wiring harness first.

I recently replaced audio unit in my au2 recently when CD died and the need for BT functionality became unbearable. Most expensive part is primary wiring harness.

Most wiring harnesses are made by Aerpro and available from different vendors in ebay / Supercheap etc.

As mentioned by others,installing an aftermarket head unit involves connecting three wiring harnesses between existing wiring and head unit as mentions in previous posts. ie – Primary harness which is car specific and make the connections ISO standard, a headunit specific secondary harness and a patch lead to connect steering wheel control bits from primary harness to headunit.

Have a look at Aerpro website: https://aerpro.com/vehicles/ford/for...s_i_ii_and_iii

There are two versions of car specific primary harnesses – one is with a box for steering wheel mounted remote controls (CHAU23C) and the other is without it (APP053), which is a much cheaper version.

If previous owner installed in the cheapest possible mode then they may have hard wired a ISO type primary harness with bare wires (AP1053) to the connector which came with the head unit. If that is the case then you will need a secondary harness too.

Please have a look at your wiring and check what primary harness version you have; I suspect that previous owner may have installed the harness without remote controls. If that is the case then you will need the proper harness (CHAU23C) and a patch lead type C (APKWPL).

Sorry about the long winded post; hope it helps anybody searching for the same info in the future.

Regards,
George V
George V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: