Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-05-2017, 09:18 PM   #1
lgpking22

Default new nbn tax

Seems like they messed up the nbn now there charging us for the privilege useless bunch of no hopers

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/govt-...and-tax-460847

The government is pushing to introduce a $7.10 minimum monthly broadband tax for fixed-line NBN users to pay for the future cost of the fixed wireless and satellite portions of the NBN.
It plans to both introduce and pass the regional broadband scheme (RBS) charge bill, alongside a package of telecommunications changes, in parliament's winter sitting, which wraps up on June 22.
The Communications department began consulting on the tax in December last year, and took industry submissions until February 3.
However, the result of the consultation has not been released, and at the time of publication was still listed as being “under review” despite the government’s intention to pass the tax law by mid-year.
Users of “superfast” fixed-line services will pay the tax, which starts at $7.10 a month. The tax will be charged to retail service providers, who the government has admitted will pass on the cost to customers.
About 95 percent of those taxed will be NBN fixed-line customers, while the remainder will come from operators such as TPG, which has been deploying fibre-to-the-basement services in metro areas.
Lawmakers have acknowledged the charge will make broadband prices more expensive.
lgpking22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2017, 03:06 PM   #2
jandj

Default Re: new nbn tax

Bloody hell, govco couldn't run a chook raffle.
Regardless of who's in charge, thanks for the link mate.
jandj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2017, 05:10 PM   #3
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So now we'll have to pay more for something that doesnt come close to living up to the hype? No thanks, I'll opt out if and when its ever running in my neighbourhood. Gigabit wireless isnt that far away....
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-05-2017, 05:24 PM   #4
snowcone

Nice.
Thank you Government for my slower than slow NBN.
In Newcastle we were lumbered with the cost cutting hybrid fibre/copper network to the node.
Other Cities were lucky enough to get full fibre to their premises.
I now have NBN at home that is slower than my ADSL2 at work
2002 Ford Explorer

I only drive V8's
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2017, 05:38 PM   #5
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im glad there are alternatives to the NBN starting to show up.
Get to avoid the whole mess that is the NBN.

Just signed up with Nuskope fixed wireless at work, no fuss to get it installed. Cheaper than similar speed/quota on on NBN (not that we will be able to get that for another 2 years+) full 30/5 speed and no congestion.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:37 PM   #6
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Gigabit wireless isnt that far away....
How about 255Tbps Fibre? This was 2 years ago!

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...c-single-fiber

Pity the majority of the country will be stuck with crap copper.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:56 PM   #7
.:4:.
Kicking back

Whilst fibre can deliver more information, it takes less time for a signal to travel down a copper wire. That's not to say fibre isn't better, however it has to be boosted every 2km. That means greater upkeep on the infrastructure. Optical fibre can't be tapped like copper either. I have a set of line taps for copper for work but once the glass is broken or the reflective foil is comprised, fibre won't work. It's much more secure.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2017, 06:56 PM   #8
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

iiNet Cable all the way. 375mbps on a good day, 160mbps on a bad day.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2017, 07:01 PM   #9
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Whilst fibre can deliver more information, it takes less time for a signal to travel down a copper wire. That's not to say fibre isn't better, however it has to be boosted every 2km. That means greater upkeep on the infrastructure. Optical fibre can't be tapped like copper either. I have a set of line taps for copper for work but once the glass is broken or the reflective foil is comprised, fibre won't work. It's much more secure.
So, are there boosters every 2kms in the underwater cables spanning the oceans?
Old 10-05-2017, 09:29 PM   #10
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post
So, are there boosters every 2kms in the underwater cables spanning the oceans?
http://www.infocellar.com/networks/f...mps-regens.htm
Old 11-05-2017, 01:07 PM   #11
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got to have an NBN before it can be taxed.

It will be a looong time before I have to pay any tax then.

Thank Abbott, he is the master of this disaster.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2017, 06:44 PM   #12
jandj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Got to have an NBN before it can be taxed.

It will be a looong time before I have to pay any tax then.

Thank Abbott, he is the master of this disaster.
Mate you'll have to go back to Kevin 07 for the start of the whole NBN mess , it's ok to come up with an idea for a new service.
But if you're spending money like a drunken sailor ( ALP ) , and can't be accountable for your actions.
Then you shouldn't be allowed to govern our country, now the other clowns ( LIB/NATS ) have to come in an trying fix the mess the previous govco left behind.
And if it means a tax for the NBN so be it, we the people have to wake and stop voting in these clowns.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:56 PM   #13
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Telstra should have been allowed to build it, they would have done it for half the price in half the time. Govt could have legislated fair access for other Telcos. You look at what Telstra is doing with 5G already, they would have nailed the NBN.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2017, 08:20 PM   #14
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandj View Post
now the other clowns ( LIB/NATS ) have to come in an trying fix the mess the previous govco left behind.
They're not fixing it though. The government were well aware that the copper network wasn't up to the task, that FTTN was a worse move than continuing with FTTP. They chose to soldier on in the hope that it would all work out. Talk about burying your head in the sand. In my area, a very significant proportion of rollout areas are failing qualification, ie. cant even deliver the bare minimum. And the areas that are passing, are barely capable of delivering the minimum. The government have made the wrong decision, but are not interested in correcting their mistake.

Quote:
And if it means a tax for the NBN so be it, we the people have to wake and stop voting in these clowns.
The tax isn't to fix the NBN, its to subsidise the cost of the wireless/satellite service. They're making no commitment to fix the appalling mess that is the copper network.
4 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2017, 10:49 PM   #15
jandj

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
They're not fixing it though. The government were well aware that the copper network wasn't up to the task, that FTTN was a worse move than continuing with FTTP. They chose to soldier on in the hope that it would all work out. Talk about burying your head in the sand. In my area, a very significant proportion of rollout areas are failing qualification, ie. cant even deliver the bare minimum. And the areas that are passing, are barely capable of delivering the minimum. The government have made the wrong decision, but are not interested in correcting their mistake.

The tax isn't to fix the NBN, its to subsidise the cost of the wireless/satellite service. They're making no commitment to fix the appalling mess that is the copper network.
Thats all well and good mate , but did the ALP wanted a complete new network.
Or were they sticking with copper network?
I'm well aware of copper to fibre optic, were I live in North lakes Qld the NBN is rubbish.
Also there isn't enough ports for houses in the area that are after Internet connection, talk about 3rd world standards.

Cheers Jason.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:12 PM   #16
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm well aware of copper to fibre optic, were I live in North lakes Qld the NBN is rubbish.
Also there isn't enough ports for houses in the area that are after Internet connection, talk about 3rd world standards.

Cheers Jason.
My understanding of the original NBN was fibre to the premises, so every house in Australia where possible would be connected by fibre and those that were remote would have fast satellite access. Copper was as good as ripped up.

That's what we should have received. Not this useless heap of crap they're building now.
4 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2017, 12:18 AM   #17
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
New network. Fibre to the home, rather than fibre to the node, and copper from node to home.

LNP's approach would have been appropriate if the copper network was any good, but it isn't, and its not like this info became apparent in hindsight, they were warned the copper network wasn't up to the task.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2017, 12:46 AM   #18
.:4:.
Kicking back

I get the advancement for infrastructure with fibre, but the first fibre course I did in 08 they started with the health risk of fibre. This concerns me to a degree. Obviously don't look into one as there is a lazer shining down it, but when you terminate the connector you have to be anal about off cuts and shards of glass. Some shards can be so fine that if they peirce your skin (not even drawing blood) and enter the blood stream they can potentially make it up to the brain and cause death. The general public have a percentage of people who choose to do silly things so the potential for bad things to happen is there.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2017, 12:55 AM   #19
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

Non-NBN fttp at home, and Metro-E fttp going into the office tomorrow. 1:1 contention ratio for me.

Kiss my **** NBN.

If you have fttn nbn and it's slow, live in hope that it will get a little better once the phone and ADSL signals are shut off the copper network and they can then crank nbn to full power.
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2017, 08:55 AM   #20
bernbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To this day they don't know the transmission limit of fibre. It is huge. That is why fttp was this centuries snowy hydro...infrastructure that would not need updating for generations and effectvily future proof. And the libs killed it. Even if it was more expensive and took longer it was the best idea as we wouldn't be where we are now with multiple network types that need ongoing maintenance. At lest the jobs will last longer.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
bernbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2017, 10:45 AM   #21
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Telstra should have been allowed to build it, they would have done it for half the price in half the time. Govt could have legislated fair access for other Telcos. You look at what Telstra is doing with 5G already, they would have nailed the NBN.
If you knew of the mess that was the wholesale ADSL network then you wouldn't have made that statement.

We only got ADSL2+ thanks to other ISPs over building their own network with Telstra.
Hell, Telstra have only just started offering VoIP now due to the NBN.
IPv6 on Telstra will probably be a very long way off from Telstra whereas other ISPs offer it natively now.

If Telstra built the NBN, then we wouldn't see the innovation that we've seen over the last decade through other companies investments.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2017, 05:19 PM   #22
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post
If you knew of the mess that was the wholesale ADSL network then you wouldn't have made that statement.

We only got ADSL2+ thanks to other ISPs over building their own network with Telstra.
Hell, Telstra have only just started offering VoIP now due to the NBN.
IPv6 on Telstra will probably be a very long way off from Telstra whereas other ISPs offer it natively now.

If Telstra built the NBN, then we wouldn't see the innovation that we've seen over the last decade through other companies investments.

ADSL was built, in tech terms, a different time in a different regulatory environment. The govt would have set the parameters and Telstra, or another telco, would have had to operate within these set guidelines.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:40 PM   #23
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The government didn't have the balls to structurally separate Telstra at the time to a wholesale and retail arms. They would have the balls to do it now either.