Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 28-05-2020, 06:25 PM   #1
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
How insanely tribal has America become that they would evaluate Covid statistics in terms of who people voted for.

WTF

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/25/u...ue-states.html
Blue states are mostly on teh coast. It is far more likely they have higher rates of infection because their populations were more internationally mobile and they are more exposed to overseas visitors. Exactly the same reason Sydney and Melbourne have more cases than Broken Hill and Roma.

" While children are not immune, even globally they seem to be less contagious than adults."

A couple of you responded to this with comments about children's infection rates and mortality. Note the original statement claims reduced _contagiousness_ (terrible word). I have seen no evidence that an infected child is more or less likely to spread the virus than an infected adult. Please correct me if I have missed something.

And to clarify: My previous statement regarding infection rates in the USA vs Europe (or South America for that matter) have nothing to do with the sort of prejudice driven minutia analysis the media and others cling to. The FACT is the USA is a unique situation as are most other jurisdictions. It's outcomes so far are not orders of magnitude different from comparable jurisdictions. I make no case for them doing especially well, but you cannot mount a reasonable case that they have done catastrophically badly. It does not matter if they are 10% or 20% worse than some random comparison. You can mount your soapbox and wave you fist about all you want, I guarantee if Hilary, you, scomo, bojo or marvin the martian was president you would not get a significantly different result. You would still have recalcitrant governors, vested interests and disobedient citizens.

We didn't do better (to date) thanks to our fearless leaders. We did better because we are an island, sparsely populated, with reasonable levels of compliance and a whole bunch of individuals who rolled up their sleeves.

Mm. 5:30. Time to get medicinal.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2020, 07:02 PM   #2
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3 View Post
. I have seen no evidence that an infected child is more or less likely to spread the virus than an infected adult. Please correct me if I have missed something.

Send one infected child to a school with a thousand other kids
Send one infected adult to a school with a thousand other kids

send both groups home to their grand parents or parents over 50.

interesting clinical trial....
This user likes this post:
Old 28-05-2020, 07:05 PM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Is not “contagiousness” more correctly “contagion”?
Old 28-05-2020, 07:44 PM   #4
zilo
BANNED

Is not “contagiousness” more correctly “contagion”?

Nope.
Old 28-05-2020, 07:56 PM   #5
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Why not?
Old 28-05-2020, 08:06 PM   #6
zilo
BANNED

Sorry I am not a lexicographer.

But I was learned proper at skool.

'Later I was teached to use doctor Google.

He nose every think.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/contagiousness

We can use contagiosity if you prefer?

Last edited by zilo; 28-05-2020 at 08:14 PM. Reason: found another cool word
Old 29-05-2020, 05:51 PM   #7
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Send one infected child to a school with a thousand other kids
Send one infected adult to a school with a thousand other kids

send both groups home to their grand parents or parents over 50.

interesting clinical trial....
That is technically the opposite of what you said previously. I'm being pedantic here but what you TYPED was that children are more prone than adults to transmit the virus. What you have written above is that anyone put in a superspreader environment with an infected individual is equally likely to spread the virus.

The interesting thing is from what data I've seen it appears not to be so. There are jurisdictions all over the world where children have remained in school and other social environments and significant proportions of the outbreaks in that jurisdiction have not traced back to the institution.

1. I am prepared to be educated if you have data I've missed.

2. I do not understand the mechanism for this. It doesn't make sense, but it's not the only thing that doesn't make sense to me about infection rates. More research required.

A quick english lesson. I'm not normally a grammar nazi because lets face it I make mistakes, but since this seems to elude several of you:

Contagion: Noun. It is the name in this case of the virus or it's mechanism of spreading. It is a contagion.

Contagious: Adjective. Describes the state of the noun. The virus is contagious. The contagion is contagious (terrible sentence).

Contagiousness: Also a noun but this time does not refer to the contagion but rather it's state. It's contagiousness is high. It is highly contagious. High contagious is incorrect as is highly contagiousness. It's contagion is high is also incorrect. Although both are nouns the only way contagion and high can work is if the contagion is physically high, as in up in the air, not stoned.

5pm. Medicinal. Tonight I have to choose between Jack and an alcoholic ginger beer. Hmm. I am capable of making the tough choices...I got this...
5 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2020, 07:02 PM   #8
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3
As I have said before it is too early to tell. You need to properly understand the reasoning behind their approach. It was never designed to yield short term results.

Unrelated: It amazes me there are people now complaining that fewer people died than expected. Over reaction ? Maybe. But if our fearless leaders had done less regardless of the toll people would be complaining about that. Go back in time, forget everything you have learned since february and let YOUR hand sign the orders. See if it trembles...
No one is complaining that fewer people died than expected. They are complaining because the media pumped up these extreme death toll scenarios in an effort to pump up ratings, and then when it didn't eventuate they keep pumping the second wave theory to keep people in fear and tuned in.

Plus the state governments were too slow to unlock things once it was shown it was overblown and completely under control. Especially Victoria. The lockdown restrictions should have been eased weeks earlier imo.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2020, 08:03 PM   #9
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

Plus the state governments were too slow to unlock things once it was shown it was overblown and completely under control. Especially Victoria. The lockdown restrictions should have been eased weeks earlier imo.
LMAO state governments were blamed when infection numbers were rising because they did not act fast enough to lock things down.

Now you believe they are not unlocking things fast enough...

I believe that means they got the balance about right.

In Victoria, Dan (Mr Careful) Andrews is sitting on a 75% approval rating.
Old 29-05-2020, 08:14 PM   #10
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
That is technically the opposite of what you said previously. I'm being pedantic here but what you TYPED was that children are more prone than adults to transmit the virus. .

Where?
Old 29-05-2020, 09:10 PM   #11
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse
LMAO state governments were blamed when infection numbers were rising because they did not act fast enough to lock things down.

Now you believe they are not unlocking things fast enough...

I believe that means they got the balance about right.

In Victoria, Dan (Mr Careful) Andrews is sitting on a 75% approval rating.
No one even knows who the other guy is. And the state libs are a basketcase. Labor could run a potato and still win.
4 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2020, 02:25 PM   #12
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Where?
Well:

Thanks, but the context of my question related to contagiousness not deaths by under 17yo.

You can be a highly contagious school kid, and not die from it.

But...you go to school and bring it home to your parents and grandparents...and that is the problem

and

In the haste to get the covid spreader kids back to school two closures on the same day that kids went back.

Trust me it's safe...real important to get them kids back in child care (aka school) to pay for the next holiday or big plasma tv.

can't afford kids cause you both have to work for that mortgage? wear a friggin' condom or pull out...
Old 30-05-2020, 08:54 PM   #13
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Well:

Thanks, but the context of my question related to contagiousness not deaths by under 17yo.

You can be a highly contagious school kid, and not die from it.

But...you go to school and bring it home to your parents and grandparents...and that is the problem

and

In the haste to get the covid spreader kids back to school two closures on the same day that kids went back.

Trust me it's safe...real important to get them kids back in child care (aka school) to pay for the next holiday or big plasma tv.

can't afford kids cause you both have to work for that mortgage? wear a friggin' condom or pull out...

Mate...I ask you again where did i say kids are more contagious than adults?

If simply quoting everything i posted is your best shot then mate...you better change your medication cause you are having hallucinations.

Social distancing is impossible in schools, that is the point.

Best if you stop posting till you see your doctor me thinks.
Closed Thread