Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20-10-2021, 05:20 PM   #23
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Bunnings Plumbing Fittings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
There’s clearly a big push to PEX this year. Even many “standard” copper plumbing products are less available, such as lagged coils. I wonder if domestic AC will change materials for paircoil?
About 10 years ago they were trying to push aluminium or alloy piping. I think it got some popularity in the UK when the price of copper went up.

I think split bashers might go for that eventually, especially if they're flaring back to back splits. The big issue is field repair brazing is so easy with copper. I knew some installers that always brazed even split systems as they never liked flares. I know even more that couldn't do a leak free flare to save their life anyway.
Another issue is refrigerants always changing, who knows if aluminum can withstand the pressure or not react badly to whatever refrigerant comes out next? Copper is always a safe bet and would always be used on larger systems.

E: Found this in artick paper as of 2019, seems copper is needed for good old A.S. holding us back/to ransom

Last edited by oldel; 20-10-2021 at 05:25 PM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: