Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 07-05-2006, 07:23 PM   #1
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

Angry Battery Acid Vs Fuel Pump. Battery acid wins.

Went to start my car this arvo, and it was cranking over but wouldnt start.

Went through all the usual suspects and in the end gave up and called the NRMA.

He diagnosed the problem as being the fuel pump.

A few weeks ago I was carrying a battery in the boot and it fell over and spilt through my boot. I cleaned the carpet thoroughly, but it seems that the acid has seeped through the carpet and down through the hatch and onto my fuel pump.

So thats the end of that :(

Now I have to get my car towed to get the fuel pump replaced. :

Whats the go with fuel pumps?

How much does a replacement usually cost?

Would it be possible to get a second hand one and fit it myself?

Or should I just bite the bullet and go back to being broke... :yeees:

Any info you have about fuel pumps is greatly appreciated.

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2006, 07:27 PM   #2
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

The standard fuel pump is located in the fuel tank, if you have the standard pump, battery acid is not your problem, just have a dud fuel pump which you will have to replace. It's a waste of time fitting a 2nd hand pump as they are known as problems.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2006, 07:29 PM   #3
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would the wiring have got damaged?
Old 07-05-2006, 07:32 PM   #4
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

You can fit a second handy yaself.. hardest part i found was undoing the large hoseclamp around the locking ring.
You can get upgraded pumps ie walbro 255 for around $180 nowdays
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2006, 07:33 PM   #5
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

No idea what car you have, I'll guess its a MPFI of whatever, fuel pumps are about $170 new from any parts shop.

Is a good idea to replace the fuel filter at the same time.

Could the acid have just eaten the wiring out? It seems very unlikely the acid would have leaked through carpet, a steel plate, a plastic screw-on lid, and the top cover on the fuel pump, and not eat through the floor of your car, or destroy the plastic fuel tank.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2006, 07:40 PM   #6
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Unless its shorted out the wiring...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2006, 11:03 PM   #7
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

Thanks for your help guys.

Car is an ED Ghia.

I dont know much about mechanicals. The NRMA guy said that my fuel pump wasnt working. The screws for the plate were severely corroded (white crusty stuff) and the cavity was full of bulldust so I guess that means that means that plate wasnt exactly sealing against the bodywork. So I just guessed that acid could have leaked in around the plate.

is $170 the price for a Ford Unit? or are there aftermarket jobbies out there which are cheaper?

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2006, 02:32 PM   #8
MacGyver

The fuel pump actually sits inside the fuel tank. So any acid would have be diluted by the fuel in the tank. I would check the connections first. Also get a good battery with some jumpers and get in the boot and hook up the battery direct to the fuel pump. If it hums then it is your wiring. If nothing then your pump is stuffed. That is the definitive solution. You would hate to spend a hundred odd bucks to find that all you needed was two bucks worth of wiring connectors.

cheers
Scott
MacGyver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post