Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-05-2006, 11:27 AM   #31
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

This "angel eye" concept does have the potential to look pretty good on later model XRs I think. Once someone has mastered it as a straight purchase and installed kit, then I might think about it.
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 11:41 AM   #32
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah yes, the accessory no one should have. All those expressing interest better not bag ricers again... not to mention as Keepleft said... be prepared for a defect, particularly if you are silly enough to get coloured ones.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 11:47 AM   #33
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA-Coupe
Ah yes, the accessory no one should have. All those expressing interest better not bag ricers again... not to mention as Keepleft said... be prepared for a defect, particularly if you are silly enough to get coloured ones.
So going by that thought all BMW's with the "angel eye" standard are rice?

If so, ill have some sushi with that too!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 11:47 AM   #34
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
So going by that thought all BMW's with the "angel eye" standard are rice?
no, people fitting them to their lights to make the car "look" like a BMW are..... hence why my lights will never have them...
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 11:48 AM   #35
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
no, people fitting them to their lights to make them look like a BMW are
Thank you .............
Old 28-05-2006, 11:54 AM   #36
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
no, people fitting them to their lights to make the car "look" like a BMW are..... hence why my lights will never have them...
Hmm fair enough, I still think it looks good, but installed on the wrong car can look very crap.

Not everyone CBF'd doing the whole headlight.... Ithought yours had that option anyway?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 11:56 AM   #37
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal

Not everyone CBF'd doing the whole headlight.... Ithought yours had that option anyway?
i didnt do my lights to make it look like a bmw i did them only because i wanted the quad headlight look...........

if you didnt know the origins, you wouldnt even know that the inserts are BMW
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Wlights005.jpg
Old 28-05-2006, 12:00 PM   #38
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA-Coupe
Yes, yes and yes.
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 12:28 PM   #39
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I didn't realise that they were just an accessory for BMWs.. I haven't actually really ever seen them on BMWs... just learnt something new lol

wow, I will never bag anything thought of rice again (mind you, I can't talk I have done a few things known as 'rice' and can laugh about it)... but these lights look great on the XRs... (no coloured globes though)..

The whole 'rice' thing is something I am yet to understand...
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 12:33 PM   #40
LUXO_8
windsor user

heres a pic of a genuine BMW "angel eye" light.
http://www.seriouswheels.com/2004/20...t-1024x768.htm
BMW's are what started off the angel eye craze, having the rings around the beams for the park lamp instead of the actual park lamp in the reflector.....

any other angel eye light is a copy...

i wouldnt know ifs classed as rice to have them.......but its something i wont be doing
Old 28-05-2006, 12:43 PM   #41
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
BMW's are what started off the angel eye craze, having the rings around the beams for the park lamp instead of the actual park lamp in the reflector.....

any other angel eye light is a copy...

i wouldnt know ifs classed as rice to have them.......but its something i wont be doing

That does look good in the beamer..

The first time I saw them was in an XR and they looked awesome...

I will try to get hold of some pics of his car though, cos it did look absolutely brilliant (but that could be the 'ricer' coming out in me again lol)...
Old 28-05-2006, 12:44 PM   #42
LUXO_8
windsor user

are you talking about tikfd6's car? seen it
they do look good in it
Old 28-05-2006, 12:49 PM   #43
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
are you talking about tikfd6's car? seen it
they do look good in it
I don't think the guy I'm talking about is on the forum to be honest..

I don't think that was the car, but if you have seen one then it would be similar :
Old 28-05-2006, 01:14 PM   #44
ziggee

/me presses the "flame on" button.

Why are coloured considered bad, and produce a defect?. (i'd like red)
Do underneath neons produce defects too?

I am only asking, as I'd like to try it, Yep I have too much time one my hands. but hardly worth it if cops gunna hassle me about it.

So Clear "white" would be ok as far as coppers concerned?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 02:30 PM   #45
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

white would be ok, blue or red are illegal, because they are emergency vehicle colors, and i think you could confuse a few people on our roads if you had them.

I think i want to do them in white on my BA, i think it would look awesome!
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 04:43 PM   #46
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

I think they look pretty neat. I would imagine on a XR or BA they would enhance the eye effect of the headlight like they do on BMW's.

They do make the car look a bit more menacing. Would look great on say a Fairmont or Fairlane Ghia.. Not Sure on the XR.

Not sure about plastic tho, being close to the headlight, would sure get warm.

And the LED would make the centre light look very yellow
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 04:51 PM   #47
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggee
/me presses the "flame on" button.

Why are coloured considered bad, and produce a defect?. (i'd like red)
Do underneath neons produce defects too?

I am only asking, as I'd like to try it, Yep I have too much time one my hands. but hardly worth it if cops gunna hassle me about it.

So Clear "white" would be ok as far as coppers concerned?

Its just a matter of can not have any red light facing forward (hence why you can have green/blue/whatever colour LED wiper jets EXCEPT red).

Just remember though, as far as having the angel eyes as your park lights, park lights must be white.

and just to clear it up this is VICTORIA.

_2:
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-05-2006, 04:57 PM   #48
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It should be no forward facing lights except white amber and yellow .. like fog lights.
Blue green and aother wierd colours are illegal ... in vic.
Old 28-05-2006, 05:44 PM   #49
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Queensland you can have any colour in your park lights as long as they are not bright or dazzling.... (I have been pulled in with transport and cops and never had an issue with the red Leds in my parker's - but was told if they had been bright then yes it would be an issue).

I was also told that neon's are fine as long as the globes themselves can not be seen or are dazzling .... from what I could work out in legislation though you can not drive with them turned on if they can be seen by other motorists...

I'm not going to say this is 100% correct but if you really want neon's the best thing is not to have them on whilst the car is on/moving..
Old 28-05-2006, 05:57 PM   #50
ziggee

i'll give this angel eye a try... and go the white. thanks for all those that informed me about the "other" colours.. I never new that.

Green might look ok to.... but oh well cant be done... bloody rules.
Excellent post from the original OP finding the link, as I have seen this on ebay as well and though about it but new it was going to be just a sh1tty link/pdf.

Info should be free! if he was doing kits and selling something that would be different, imagine selling just info, we'd all be rich!

have a feeling some of you would be billionaries!!
Old 28-05-2006, 10:03 PM   #51
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think people are a bit tight on the rice thing, especially a lot of the 'traditional' folks. I mean, our old coupes had different bonnets (with scoops!!11), matching hubcabs and spoliers (front AND rear) etc.. And people did what they could to make their car stand out (ie vans with murals). Yet, if someone see's a car going down the street nowadays with a vinyl on the side, or some 'racing' stickers on the side, they're rice. Now, I know these don't make the car go faster, but neither do the spoilers on the older coupes.

Sure, when people have exhausts 10" wide, and 'wings' 2 ft high, that's a little extreme.. But 'rice' has been there since the start.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2006, 01:58 AM   #52
ziggee

actually saw another thread dedicated to the concept of what is "rice", made me think, I am not anywhere near that into cars as some of the lads here, so did not want to comment, dont get me wrong love cars, but dont have tons of experince/mech knowledge etc etc, but do remember the days when it was considered cool, to have the back end up high, whilst having the front bagged, and massive flared guards, and big fat read tires, and thin front tires, panavans with curtains and other stuff.

How does that relate to "rice", well not really, but it does just show that things come in and out of fashion, whats cool one decade aint the next etc etc..

I take the view like most that if it enhances the car, without being over the top, then good on ya, if it looks plain silly or out of place, then it aint rice just bad personal taste. example, angle eyes on that crx looks ok, but say on xa_coupe's car (imaculate looking real classic if I may say!) just would defeat the purpose
Old 29-05-2006, 09:35 AM   #53
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

If you used a RGB LED you could have it set to white on the street and change it to any colour you wished to off street.

Even better, You could hook it up to your blinkers to flash yellow when you use your indicators, or run a PIC device so that its white but becomes more and more red as the revs increase. Or have it switchable to yellow during fog etc.

Or green, on a track day, recreating Lowndes AU car with the green eyes.

Looking at the BA and BF lights, it looks as if it would be a real tight fit with the regular BA light. XR would be a little easier as there is a bit more room.
Old 30-05-2006, 01:14 AM   #54
ziggee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphido
If you used a RGB LED you could have it set to white on the street and change it to any colour you wished to off street.

Even better, You could hook it up to your blinkers to flash yellow when you use your indicators, or run a PIC device so that its white but becomes more and more red as the revs increase. Or have it switchable to yellow during fog etc.

Or green, on a track day, recreating Lowndes AU car with the green eyes.

Looking at the BA and BF lights, it looks as if it would be a real tight fit with the regular BA light. XR would be a little easier as there is a bit more room.

Thats a very cool concept actually, imagine the higer the rev's the darker the colour, sweet would that be legal to have to flash yellow when turning?.... not that anyone can see it really.. just like the concept
Old 30-05-2006, 09:26 AM   #55
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

I would imagine so, AFAIK its not a problem at all if you wish to have additional indicators or brake lights (like on mirrors, light bars on taxis, all over the side like on trucks). You could have it so it only works when parkers or no lights are on.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:19 PM   #56
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Have seen these on an EL XR ... and it looked quite good actually.
Wouldn't mind seeing them on a BA/BF XR headlight either. (As long as it was done properly)
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post