Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-09-2006, 08:58 PM   #1
SIKSIX
Its gone V

Default S1 cluster swap!

Hey all, i tried on the search but i couldn't find anything.

What im after is what i have to do to get a S1 cluster xr/fairmont cluster to fit in my forte. Does it just plug in or do i have to change stuff and what?

Any help would be appreciated because i havent got much time, cause the guy im buying off has another interested party.

Ans what do you guys rekon is a reasnable offer?

Cheers, SIKSIX.

SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2006, 09:35 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

There's a great, detailed "how to" on fordmods - I know it's not this site, but it's part of the internet.

As for price, considering you're swapping something that shows speed and revs for something that shows speed and revs, to me it's not worth more than $100, but I believe that if you pay less than $300, you can consider that a good price.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2006, 09:51 PM   #3
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would love to see the link to any site (this one or another one) that shows a step by step guide on how to change them over.

How does it work seeing as though the new one would have fuel temp and battery power or w/e it is ? are the plugs already sitting there in a Forte/Futura but just not plugged in as the cluster does not support it ?

Anyone want to do a write up with pics on the steps invloved would be unreal ???

Stock Cluster
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-Falcon-A...QQcmdZViewItem

XR Cluster
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/AU-XRR-DASH-C...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 15-09-2006, 10:02 PM   #4
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default cluster swap

Here you go and down further there is the wiring changes detailed for mid series to Forte.

Upgrading and swapping Instrument Clusters

With exception to the Low Series Instrument cluster, it is possible to change between different Cluster models rather painlessly.
All AU Series 1 Instrument Clusters use the same Electrical Connectors, (2 Connectors), but for the Low Series Cluster, some wires need to be moved around for the Left Hand Side Connector, In order for the Mid/High Series Cluster to function correctly.
The Mid, Police and High Series Clusters all use the same connectors, same Bulb holders, same needles, and Depending on the Cluster Series, very similar/Same circuit boards.
The AU Series I Mid and High Series Clusters use a different LCD Panel, but the wiring (With Exception to the extra Door Outline Wiring) is 100% Compatible.
That is, if swapping a Mid Series Cluster for a High Series Cluster, you will need to run new wiring from all 4 Doors, to the Instrument Cluster Wiring Harness

Some important steps to watch out for when doing an Instrument Cluster conversion will include,
1. The Odometer Reading will need to be changed. (Remember your Pinkslip will have this reading on it from your previous years Registration - There is a $10,000 fine for Fraudulantly Winding Back your Odometer Reading.)
2. If Upgrading from a Base Instrument Cluster, The Oil Pressure Switch will need to be replaced with an Oil Pressure sensor.
4. If adding the Low Windscreen Washer Level Warning Lamp, a new Washer Bottle, with Level sensor, and an extra line will need to be added for the Warning to work.

Some Common misconceptions with the Ford Falcon series Clusters include
1. The Odometer Readings can be swapped, changed or kept. The Odometer Reading is held within the Instrument Cluster, not within the EEC-V Engine Management, nor does the Instrument Cluster have a Backup Memory, or a Tamper-proof mechanism to deter Odometer Fraud !
2. There is no Electrical, or Calibration Difference within the speedo sections of the cluster, in terms of different Factory fitted Diffs, wheel, and Tyre Ratios. Changing Clusters will not alter the Factory speedo readings.
3. It is not possible to use an XR Series II Face, on a Low or High Series Cluster ! This is due to the Maximum speed on the cluster face, which means that the speed increments are slightly compressed.
The XR Series Cluster circuit board takes this compression in consideration when moving the speedo needle, and as such, you would need to swap the complete cluster over to use the XR Face.

Wiring changes required when fitting a Mid/High Series Cluster to a Forte/Futura Model Falcon.
Although the Mid and High Series Clusters will simply plug in, and A L M O S T function, there a re a few changes you will need to make, in order to get the Cluster to function correctly.
These changes are needed in order for the following to function,
Dial Illumination with Park Lamps On
The ABS Warning Lamp to Illuminate correctly
The Right Hand Side Indicator Lamp to function Correctly

The following wires need to be moved around, in order for the Mid/High Cluster to function correctly,
1. The Park Lamp Dial (+ Positive) Illumination needs to be moved from Pin 13 to Pin 2.
2. The Dial Negative Dimmer Illumination needs to be moved from Pin 21 to Pin 3.
3. The ABS Warning Lamp Wire needs to be moved from Pin 8 to Pin 23
4. The R.H. Side Indicator wire needs to be moved from Pin 19 to Pin 26

Please Note : In addition to these changes, you will need to also change the Oil Warning Switch, to an Oil Pressure sender unit, and also swap the Odo Reading. (See Below for further details on how to do this)
howesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 10:59 AM   #5
SIKSIX
Its gone V

cheers, guys.

See how i go when i get some time.
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post