Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-09-2006, 07:59 PM   #1
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Cam is in!!

ok guys, here it is..i thought i might share this with you guys.

after much delay about putting my crow cam 2232522 in because of the timing chain tensioner, it is finally in..
many people told me that you can just unbolt the cam gear, change cam and then bolt it back up.. but if your tensioner works correctly you "should" not be able to do this, and if you can, you need a new timing chain.

so today it went in and i found a way around the timing chain tensioner. i pulled it out with my pinky finger and then locked it in postion when it was out of the car and then put in back and then when i started it up, the oil pressure tensioned the chain to the correct tension. i just heard a bit of a snap noise when it first started up..

overall i am very happy with the cam, i can feel the difference from about 2500rpm and the idle is fantastic. i wouldn't have thought it would make that much difference because of what people told me but i like it.

thank you to Evilchief and SJW Perfromance for all their help, dealings have been great!!

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 09:41 AM   #2
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon_AU
ok guys, here it is..i thought i might share this with you guys.

after much delay about putting my crow cam 2232522 in because of the timing chain tensioner, it is finally in..
many people told me that you can just unbolt the cam gear, change cam and then bolt it back up.. but if your tensioner works correctly you "should" not be able to do this, and if you can, you need a new timing chain.

so today it went in and i found a way around the timing chain tensioner. i pulled it out with my pinky finger and then locked it in postion when it was out of the car and then put in back and then when i started it up, the oil pressure tensioned the chain to the correct tension. i just heard a bit of a snap noise when it first started up..

overall i am very happy with the cam, i can feel the difference from about 2500rpm and the idle is fantastic. i wouldn't have thought it would make that much difference because of what people told me but i like it.

thank you to Evilchief and SJW Perfromance for all their help, dealings have been great!!
Glad to see you got the cam in and its going well. I tried the 2232549 in my AU and wasn't real happy with the idle in an auto and lack of power. I would bet in and E series with 2:1 rocker ratio and more lift it would have worked better.

From what you are saying though you haven't got a vernier gear and haven't been able to time the cam in at all I guess. This could be worth doing as most regrinds and even some billets will benefit from being timed in correctly.

You can swap cams without taking the tensioner out or even releasing the tensioner and it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with your cam chain. It's all just technique. Most people can mange it without stuffing it up but the risk is there you will make a mistake and you usually find them with a broken cam guide.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 12:39 PM   #3
AUTickford
XD197

A bit of a snap sounds like trouble later on to me
AUTickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 01:07 PM   #4
FORDEBV8
E-Series

well done mate yer get a sound clip
Old 25-09-2006, 01:29 PM   #5
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Good work.

What does it run like with LPG? Does it have any sloppiness when going to accelerate?
Old 25-09-2006, 07:51 PM   #6
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not heaps of sloppiness but its a little sloppy until it hits around 2500rpm... and yeah the idle isn't that great. it runs alright on LPG but its booked in for tuesdasy at an EFI place to get the mixtures adjusted and the gas system checked out and then a dyno tune. i might even ask them to put it under full load to see what power i have as they say they dont normally do that.

and no... i didn't get the vernier cam gear

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post